News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Packages installing won't work anymore

Started by DalekClock, October 14, 2006, 12:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DalekClock

I'm running a web server from my home computer(Windows XP) and it has SMF 1.1 RC3 installed on it. I'm also running an FTP server from the same computer.

I've been trying to install the vWarn mod. When I first tried to install it, it just went to a blank screen.

I then went back to the Package manager. When I clicked [ Apply Mod ] it just came up with this:

I then tried setting "read-only" to FALSE(un-ticking read-only on the Properties window) on the /Packages file, still no change.

What should I do?

And no, before you tell me to CHMOD *filename* to whatever I can't get to localhost on my FTP client.

Oldiesmann

Create a new directory in your Packages directory called "temp". If you're using IIS, make sure that the internet guest account ("iusr_{yourcomputername}") has read, write and modify access on that folder. If you're using Apache, make sure "Everybody" has those permissions.

The package manager doesn't work very well on Windows. The reason is that SMF always deletes the "temp" directory and re-creates it when you go to install a mod, thereby making sure only the files for that mod are in the directory. After recreating the directory, SMF attempts to chmod it to 777. However, because you can't chmod things on Windows, you run into this problem.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

DalekClock

Quote from: Oldiesmann on October 14, 2006, 01:30:22 PMIf you're using Apache, make sure "Everybody" has those permissions.
How do I do that?

Oldiesmann

Go into Windows Explorer and browse to that directory.
Right-click and choose "Properties"
Click on the Security tab.

If you don't see "Everybody" listed in the "Group or user names" box, click on "Add", type "Everybody" in the box and click "OK"

Click on "Everybody" in the "Group or user names" box.
Check the boxes next to "Read", "Write" and "Modify".
Click on "OK" to apply the changes.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

DalekClock

I haven't got Secutiry. I've just got "General", "Sharing" and "Customise".

Oldiesmann

Easy to fix :)

In Windows Explorer:
Tools -> Folder Options
Click on the "View" tab
In the "Advanced Settings" box, scroll down to the bottom of the list.
Uncheck the box next to "Enable simple file sharing (recommended)"
Click "OK" to save the settings.
That should give you a Security tab in place of the Sharing tab.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

DalekClock

Oldiesmann

What's the last option that you see in the "Advanced Settings" box on the View tab?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

青山 素子

As a note, Windows XP Home has disabled many things, and I believe advanced security permissions is one of those. Are you using Pro or Home?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

DalekClock

Jim R

I'm able to adjust the CHMOD of my files and folders, but creating a "temp" directory before installing doesn't work.

Right now I'm trying to reinstall the Paid Subscriptions mod after upgrading to rc3.  When I click Apply Mod it takes me to a screen asking for FTP Information.  I supply it and click Proceed.  It just returns there with the same message:

QuoteSome of the files the package manager needs to modify are not writable. This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and using it to chmod or create the files and folders. Your FTP information may be temporarily cached for proper operation of the package manager.

I have every directory within my SMF folder set to 777, and again, I created a temp directory with the 777 setting.  It's not working. 

My host had it working last night, but I ran into a problem with the Paid Subscriptions mod.  I had installed four other mods last night just fine.  I'm hoping my host can find settings that mesh well with the rc3 upgrade, which I felt they did last night, but I'm also hoping to find the solution here.

DalekClock

I just installed the patch for SMF 1.1 RC3 using the package manager fine. No FTP access required. And the package manager would treat it as a mod anyway.

I think it's something to do with FTP. I installed SimpleBlog without needing FTP.

The only solution I can think of is to install it manually. But that will leave these problems:

• I'll never know if the version I'm using is out of date
  • One wrong edit and the whole board goes down
  • It will take a while, by which time, taking my extremely low knowlage of PHP into account, 1.1 Final will have been released and I'll have to do it all again

vbgamer45

Some mods might have problems installing if they are copying files to a folder that does not exist. I remember something like that with paid subscritions where I had to create the subs folder for it.
I recommend using a php editor like Zend Studio that will highlight php code errors so you do not cause an error on your forum.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Jim R

I tried that too, but it didn't work.  My host offered to move me to a phpsuexec(?) server, and in the meantime they opened up my ownership settings.  I'm not really sure what it all means, but it's working.

Anastasios

Quote from: Jim R on October 21, 2006, 09:28:42 AM
I'm able to adjust the CHMOD of my files and folders, but creating a "temp" directory before installing doesn't work.

Right now I'm trying to reinstall the Paid Subscriptions mod after upgrading to rc3.  When I click Apply Mod it takes me to a screen asking for FTP Information.  I supply it and click Proceed.  It just returns there with the same message:

QuoteSome of the files the package manager needs to modify are not writable. This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and using it to chmod or create the files and folders. Your FTP information may be temporarily cached for proper operation of the package manager.

I have every directory within my SMF folder set to 777, and again, I created a temp directory with the 777 setting.  It's not working. 

I'm having the same problem--I have no issue installing other mods, but I get this FTP info needed screen. I put in my login and nothing happens. I have already manually set everything to 777 and created a temp folder as well. Can anyone provide an explanation of what is going on? Thanks a bunch.

SleePy

If nothing happens then the information inputted was incorrect.

Have you tried Admin -> Packages -> Options and set it via that?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

KGIII

I just skimmed this. XP Home can ONLY disable Simple File Sharing (normally and without tweaking) in Safe Mode IIRC. It is one of the caveats.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

青山 素子

XP Home doesn't let you use fancy NTFS permissions. Only Pro and their special "edition" versions do so (Media Center, Tablet).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: