News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] IPB 1.3.x

Started by JayBachatero, January 28, 2007, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dzonny

Let's see if someone else has another idea, but looks like it's realted to php version, at least to me..
If I were you I'd try to alter php version multuple times until I find the one that works. Also double-check if covert php and sql files are in SMF root folder, and that DB user has permissions to modify selected database.

norrie

Success ! Here are the steps I took:

I changed the php version back to 5.2.
I tried the conversion again and this time I got an error which is a step further forward than I achieved before.
The error warned me that a line in convert.php was trying to execute a command containing "sql_max_join_size" and failed. I searched for that error and the advice was to delete the "sql_" from the command. Therefore I searched the convert.php file for all instances containing "sql_max_join" and deleted the "sql_" string.
I uploaded a copy to the root of the smf folder and ran it again.
This time, there was a pause as something happened in the background (previously the response was instantaneous).
A screen appeared to tell me that several tables had been converted and that the messages table was currently being converted but may take a long time to save overloading the server. It took about 2min.
The process finished with only one error about not being able to convert smileys. I could chase that down to fix it but it hardly seems worthwhile.

I tried to log in with my newly created smf admin account but the account was not recognised. I looked at phpmyadmin and realised that the conversion process had overwritten the members table with the old IPB members including the admin account. Therefore, I logged in with the old IPB credentials and I got back in.

Once in the Admin cernter, I ran some maintenance which found a few errors but gave me the chance to reapir them. All errors repaired successfully.

The next step is to get the smf board up from the current version 1.1.21 to the newest version 2.1. I also need to get the php version updated from 5.2 to something above 7.0. Do you know how many intermediate steps I need to go through? Is there a preferred sequence?

Thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Norrie

Dzonny

Glad that it worked at last! :)

Now, again, you should firstly make a backup, just to be sure you have it saved, and then change php version to 7.3 (or higher), upload large upgrade pack for 2.1 and run upgrade.php file.
You can find upgrade pack here:
https://download.simplemachines.org/

More info about upgrading:
Upgrading SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: norrie on April 12, 2022, 04:16:18 AMThe next step is to get the smf board up from the current version 1.1.21 to the newest version 2.1. I also need to get the php version updated from 5.2 to something above 7.0. Do you know how many intermediate steps I need to go through? Is there a preferred sequence?

Glad to see that you managed to convert to Smf. Regarding the upgrade, you can upgrade your php to 7.4.x as both smf versions, 2.0.19 and 2.1.x support it. As far as upgrading your forum goes, you can do a direct upgrade to 2.1.x or you can upgrade first to 2.0.19 and then to 2.1.x. PersonallY i would recommend, if I may, to do the upgrade in steps. i.e. first to 2.0.19 and then to 2.1.1.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 12, 2022, 08:10:36 AMPersonallY i would recommend, if I may, to do the upgrade in steps. i.e. first to 2.0.19 and then to 2.1.1.

Is there any particular reason why you would recommend that, @Doug Heffernan? If there is some sort of issue upgrading directly, the dev team wants to know about it. If there isn't, then I recommend upgrading directly to 2.1.1.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on April 12, 2022, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: Doug Heffernan on April 12, 2022, 08:10:36 AMPersonallY i would recommend, if I may, to do the upgrade in steps. i.e. first to 2.0.19 and then to 2.1.1.

Is there any particular reason why you would recommend that, @Doug Heffernan? If there is some sort of issue upgrading directly, the dev team wants to know about it. If there isn't, then I recommend upgrading directly to 2.1.1.

No issues that I am aware of as I have never upgraded a smf 1.1.x myself. The reason that I recommend upgrading to 2.0.19 first is based on my experience with another forum software, Ipb, that I did last year. I tried to upgrade a 3.4. forum to 4.6 for a client of mine, and the upgrader threw a lot of errors as it was looking for db stuff that were added in Ipb 4, but were not present in the 3.4 version. I rolled back to 3.4, upgraded the forum to Ipb 4 first and then to Ipb 4.6. without any issues.

Anyways, I thought that this might happen here too while upgrading such an old version to 2.1.1 and wanted to throw it out there as an alternative for norrie should they run into the same situation I did, while doing a direct upgrade to 2.1.1.

norrie

Sorry gents, spoke too soon.
None of the attachments for any of the posts have been transferred from the old to new forum. Is there an easy way to make this happen? Should I re-run the convert.php file? Is there an sql command that would target just the attachments and transfer them over?
Kind regards,
Norrie

norrie

Gents,
I think I have worked out why the attachments did not transfer. The conversion progress hit an error when converting the smileys and stopped the conversion script at that point.
You cannot view this attachment.
The transfer of attachments happens after the smileys and therefore it was never executed.
I have fixed the smiley conversion script by changing:
Code: [Select]
ALTER TABLE {$db_prefix}smileys
ORDER BY LENGTH(code) DESC;
To
ORDER BY code DESC;

Therefore, it should not get stuck on that section again.

Can I safely run the convert.php file again? Will it create duplicates of all the table entries if I do this?

Kind regards,

Norrie

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: norrie on April 13, 2022, 05:22:59 AMI have fixed the smiley conversion script by changing:
Code Select Expand
ORDER BY LENGTH(code) DESC;
To
Code Select Expand
ORDER BY code DESC;

Therefore, it should not get stuck on that section again.

Thank you for providing the fix. ;) I will help other users in the future who might run into this issue as well.

Quote from: norrie on April 13, 2022, 05:22:59 AMCan I safely run the convert.php file again? Will it create duplicates of all the table entries if I do this?

I think that you can.

Dzonny

I wouldn't say so.

Try: ORDER BY CHAR_LENGTH(code) DESC;
Though order is not that important at all in this case. You have backup ready anyway, so I'd try with that.

norrie

Please bear with me. Its holiday weekend and work commitments are pressing.It [nofollow] might be a few days before I can respond.
Thanks
Norrie

argosinmpuinufx

I reinstall SMF (after deleting all SMF tables) every time I have an error on the conversion. Then I restart the conversion from the beginning.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: argosinmpuinufx on June 08, 2022, 11:28:14 AMI reinstall SMF (after deleting all SMF tables) every time I have an error on the conversion. Then I restart the conversion from the beginning.

What errors do you get with the conversion? Uninstalling and re installing SMf after each error is not necessary.

Advertisement: