News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

View Only Boards

Started by Rudolf, January 31, 2007, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scwebman

Hi Rudolf.  Absolutely great mod.  I just have one question for you:

Any progress on getting SSI Recent Topics to work?

The reason that I ask is we use it to organize article content.  Rather than using a CMS system, we just have SSI display the article topics of our "Learning Center" in an organized way.  You can check out the site at http://www.sellcenter.net/community [nofollow] to see what I'm talking about.

We're using the mod to offer paid content that regular users can only see the titles of, but not the full text.  A lot of our contributing experts were unwilling to give out their articles for free.

We can't entice users to pay for the content, however, if they don't see at least the titles of what they're NOT getting on the front page.

Again, thanks for a great mod.  If there's even half a fix I can play around with it myself and see if I can get it to work.

scwebman

Reading the thread, I noticed there were a few people that would want SE bots to still be able to read the threads for SEO purposes.  The problem with that is they'll cache a version of the page.  If your posts come up in a search, someone could just hit the "cached" link under your SE listing and read the post!

invites

How can I change the message:

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." ?

Rudolf

I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

Neol

Can I use this mod only for a few boards and not for all?

babjusi

Quote from: Zeri YT! on November 12, 2007, 07:59:26 AM
Can I use this mod only for a few boards and not for all?

Yes, you can.  You can set the permissions as to which group will be able to see the board/s of your choosing.

netridge

does the current verison of this most listed in the mod section work for smf 1.1.4?

babjusi

Quote from: netridge on November 12, 2007, 07:16:18 PM
does the current verison of this most listed in the mod section work for smf 1.1.4?

Yes

farg

Please, integrate this fantastic mod in SMF 2 as default option!!!

:-* :-* :-*

Jumbobeef

Quote from: netridge on November 12, 2007, 07:16:18 PM

HELP!

I tried to install this mod to my 1.1.4 and it made the board admin section go all wrong.  Half the buttons were missing and none of it made sense.  It told me part of it didn't install properly and so I uninstalled it.

I still have the same problems within the board admin settings.  Help!  What do I do to put it right!

Edit to add:  Now my forum will not load, it just gives the error message:

"Unable to load the 'main' template".

Jumbobeef

OK, the package manager said this:

Quote1. Execute Code DB.php 
2. Execute Modification ./Sources/BoardIndex.php Test successful
3. Execute Modification ./Sources/MessageIndex.php Test successful
4. Execute Modification ./Sources/ManageBoards.php Test successful
5. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php Test successful
6. Execute Modification ./Sources/Load.php Test successful
7. Execute Modification ./Sources/ModSettings.php Test successful
8. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php Test failed
9. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/MessageIndex.template.php Test successful
10. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php Test successful
11. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/ManageBoards.english.php Test failed
12. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php Test successful

I reloaded the original ./Themes/default/BoardIndex.template.php  and   ./Themes/default/languages/ManageBoards.english.php   and all is well now, but why did it go wrong?

I would like to use this mod, but I'm a bit worried about trying it again.

Jumbobeef

OK, I did try again, this time I tried to download it through the package manager, rather than download it, and then upload it.

When I tried, I got this message:

QuoteThe package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

.............so, is there a problem or does this not work with 1.1.4?

Rudolf

Downloading from the package manager won't work because some bugs in the SMF.
The mod works with 1.1.4. The package manager fails to make the changes in those files, because you probably changed them. If you installed other mods or made manual changes then it's very likely.
Those two files are not critical for the mod to work, so you can ignore the errors and install the mod. Once you installed the mod you can apply the changes to the two failed files manually. To see what changes you should make you should open the package and look at the themes.xml file.
If you don't understand the syntax, there is a mod parser available (please search the forum for it).

If you made a packup of your forum you shouldn't worry about installing this mod.

fmofmpls

Really want to have this mod on my forum. Installed it through the package manager and ended up with one error:

6.     Execute Modification     ./Sources/Load.php     Test failed

I'm using a Crip theme with several other mods. SMF 1.1.4 and TP 0.9.8

What can I do next to complete install? Edit what?

* EDIT - figured it all out. Works like a charm! Thanks anyways, and thanks for a great mod!

Jumbobeef

Having removed it, tried again, removed it again and then tried it again, it now works perfecty.  Thanks for all your help.

Great mod, it should included in the SMF package by default.

Aileen

This is such a great mod!!

BTW The right column is for the view only?
an ofcourse the left column is for the access?

Am I right...

AllMassive

Would it be possible to show the recent Topicnames to guests in the Info-Center ?

EDiT: Doesn't seem to work - what should i change inside the Code to get this Feature ?

AllMassive

Before i used Read Topic Permission-Mod, disabled every related Rights for Guests and allowed Guest-Viewing on the Forum.
But unfortionatly that MOD doesent had any effect on RSS-Feeds  ::)

This MOD is really fine - except for the Info-Center  :'(

fmofmpls

Love the mod, but is there a way, or even an additional mod that will hide the posts counts, topics count, and last post stats at the index board using this mod? I want members to see that the restricted board exists and nothing else.

Like this Yuku board:

Thanks Rudolph!

Rudolf

Hiding those fields from the board index is mostly a template change. I will soon revisit the mod to make it more site-wide (including he Info-Center) and easier to show/hide stuff in the templates.

Advertisement: