News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

View Only Boards

Started by Rudolf, January 31, 2007, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

It doesn't matter what other mods are integrated in other packages. Other packages, for example, come with a method of allowing admins to view user PMs but I can guarantee it'll never be in the core SMF.

The team, last I checked, were not interested in making this part of SMF itself, I don't see any reason for that to change.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I have no further comment on this. Wait till 2.0 gold and we'll see how it goes from there. Many mod authors also is on wait and see too...

searchgr

TheListener

Warning  :(

Edit: Someone please send me a memory upgrade. The test forum is 2.0

I installed the mod with no errors on install on my test forum.

The sources/subs-boardindex error still occurs.

Jessica.

suggestion - view only boards' "status" (like there's one for No New Posts, New Posts, and Redirect Boards), is "Locked", it looks like either No New Posts or New Posts but has a lock on it. it's like what phpbb3 has, locked forums
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

Larrs

I have one question.

Is there someone who get this mod work with 1.1.14?

mariusfv

Can someone to update this mod for 2.0 RC5 ?
I'm stuck without this mod, I must use ban because I can't use this mod !And after ban they email me because they can not post and solve theirs problems, in the last days I reply to many emails instead to USE FORUM(special board for suspend members)!

I must deny access to some boards for a selected membergroup(Ex: suspend member group) but that boards have access regular members too and SMF is so CRAP to understand that sometime you must restrict access to certain membergroup but let regular members(newbie, full member, etc) to access the board.

In SMF is a CRAP because is a anomaly in permissions: You can select a membergroup(Ex: suspend member group) to have not access in some board but if newbie, full member, hero member is selected they(Ex: suspend member group)-> will have access to that board too! I'm I stupid or this is a anomaly?

Because I can't use this function I must use my email in hard way, people mail me instead use their board for resolve the problems....if they have access to all boards they can post some stupidity in the inadequate boards.

In the last years I was proud to use SMF, but I'm forced now to move some of my forums to phpBB where this function is on default core: VIEW BOARD But can not access him.

TheListener

Transferring everything to phpbb is a waste of time.

The mod works on 2.0

Ok so the error log may fill up but at least the mod works.

searchgr

Quote from: searchgr on January 11, 2009, 10:52:02 AM
To SMF DEVELOPERS: PLEASE INCLUDE THIS MOD AS A DEFAULT FEATURE IN SMF!

Unfortunately the situation is very bad. For the last 2 yrs we haven't seen any new features except of the so called 'bugs free' improvement codes.
mariusfv, pm to me if you need a help in regards to this mod.

PSM

I imagine this has been addressed but I don't have time to read 28 pages, so can anyone tell me how to modify the text of the "error" message when someone who doesn't have permission clicks on a board that they are not allowed to access?  It currently reads:

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with (site name)."

I want to change this text.  Thanks for your help!  This mod rocks!

EDIT:  I see it's in errors.english.php?  Where do I find this file?  I found errors.template.php in the Default Theme folder but the text isn't in there.

EDIT AGAIN:  Found it in the languages folder of the default theme file.  Stupid me.

searchgr

mariusfv

The mod appear to be compatible with SMF 2.0 RC5 and 2.0 but when you try to install I have alot of errors ...didn't find modification's and some file didn't find.
I'm so stuck without this mod.

I can pay a coder for if made this mod compatible with 2.0 RC5.

TheListener

Quote from: mariusfv on July 22, 2011, 12:54:53 PM
The mod appear to be compatible with SMF 2.0 RC5 and 2.0 but when you try to install I have alot of errors ...didn't find modification's and some file didn't find.

Have you tried to manually edit the files?

MaNaRa

Quote from: mariusfv on July 22, 2011, 12:54:53 PM

Me too the same errors when I try to install in the SMF 2.0 Even installing for the first time the SMF forum
Have a lot of errors, and I try to manually edit the files and I can not, mistakes are almost all files and editing many parts not found :-[

This mod for me at least esential but I can't install :'(

mi versión de foro es SMF 2.0

To make it installable is one thing, to make it free of error and bugs is another thing. I try to help this mod before but there were too many "unfriendly" comments. Try and see other similar mod too, if they are updated.

ibloomdrop

I have read through pretty much all 28 pages of this thread. I have SMF 2.0 and I'm desperately trying to get this mod to work.

Obviously, the package installer doesn't work. I tried manually making changes to the files and did the best I could with the ones that weren't exact.

I have no idea what to do with DB_2_x.php. I uploaded it to the root directory and tried to just run it but get the error: Cannot install - please verify you put this in the same place as SMF's index.php. (which I'm pretty sure I did)

After making all other manual changes to files, Admin >> Forum >> Boards gives a db error:
Unknown column 'b.member_groups_view' in 'field list'
File: /home/ebrain/public_html/Sources/Subs-Boards.php
Line: 1055

This is why I assume the DB_2_x.php process is missing but I don't know how to process it.

If anyone could help me resolve this it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at all other mods and this is the only one I can find to do what I need. I have a new forum but would like one section for paid membership, and I'd like everyone to be able to see that this board is there... just not read its contents.

If you require more info for assistance, please just ask and I'll do my best to provide it. Thanks in advance.

Try searching for look but no read mod. Similar purpose / function.

TheListener

Quote from: ahrasis on September 05, 2011, 11:07:16 PM
Try searching for look but no read mod. Similar purpose / function.

Forgot to email ya bud.

I had the same errors I told ya about on my newly started test forum.

:(

I'll test it again when I have time as my real life is getting busier. I might have overlook something too. For the meantime I would suggest everyone to try and check look but no read mod which has similar purpose / function.

ibloomdrop

Thanks for the suggestion, but Look But No Read is only for guests. Once registered, they can see everything. I installed that but there seems to be no way to really make that work with one particular board for paid subscribers. (unless I'm missing something permissions-wise)

and it appears that the mod's author may have entertained working on something similar to my problem at one point, but he hasn't responded to any posts on that thread for a few months. I could work with that mod for sure if there was a way to even modify it to make it do what I want.

Would love to hear thoughts on this...

Advertisement: