News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

View Only Boards

Started by Rudolf, January 31, 2007, 10:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamSinger

Well, I'm no expert here, and I know you can click both boxes, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. If you click the left box, the guests can see the boards exisit and go on them to read at least read, depending on whether you give them permission to post or not.  If you click only the right box, they can only see the boards exist, but cannot enter it. Which is basically what I wanted the mod for.

I dont' know why the board would be eliminated from the main page for guests with both boxes checked. I thought the left box overrode the right...but I've been doing a lot of reading here tonight trying to figure stuff out for myself and I could be thinking backwards by now!

Just try clicking the right column and leaving the left blank for the guests. Did you go to Admin/Features and Options/ and then click "Show the message index for "view only" boards?" It's the second line, and I think you need to do that for the topics index to show, but not the whole posts.

Hope you can get it to work the way you want.   :)

avidum

Thanks Demian. I ended up just checking off the right box and now the guests can view the boards but not the posts. Yes I did go to the Features/Options and checked off the box. It all works fine now but I guess I thought this mod made it so that guests could view the boards and threads, just not the posts. Oh well this is better than nothing. LOL
Thanks again for all your help. BTW I have done so much reading too and my brain got so fogged up that nothing made sense anymore! LOL

Rudolf

Quote from: avidum on February 15, 2007, 08:39:59 AM
this mod made it so that guests could view the boards and threads, just not the posts.

With proper configuration this mod makes so that guests can view the boards and the threads. However it's scope is wider then that. You can set boards to be "view only" for any other membergroup you want.

For example, you have board1, board2, and board3.
Only board1 is "view only" for guests, the other two are completely invisible.
Once the person registers you can set that the "Newbies" have board2 as "view only". So the new member will get access to board1 and will discover that there's something else there ... that they don't have access. You can set a policy based on what members get "upgraded" to a higher level group (let's say "VIP members"). Once the member becomes a VIP he or she will have access to board2 ... and will see a new board board3 wich he/she can only view but not access.
All this with proper combination of those checkboxes, of course.
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

fernandosevents

Hi Rudolph any advice on how to proceed? I get all these errors

1.     Execute Code     DB.php     
2.    Execute Modification    sources.xml    Modification parse error
3.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error
4.    Execute Modification    themes.xml    Modification parse error
5.    Execute Modification    -    Modification parse error

Rudolf

It sounds like an issue with the forum, not the mod.
Maybe this topic can help you?

OutofOrder

Hello, i'm looking forward to install this mod in my forum. This kind of mod should be bundled with the official SMF install files, it is such a good idea for a mod, imo :)

Well, i'd like to know if version 1.1.2 brought any -possible- problems with this mod. I hope not, and will await for your answer. Thanks in advance.

avidum

I just noticed something. Certain boards I have allowed guests to view and some not view. But in the info center it says "view the most recent posts" and guests can click this on and read any post and access that board too! How can I prevent guests from viewing the most recent posts?

DreamSinger

I checked my board, logged out, and as a guest went through the most recent posts in the info center. The only topics it listed were from boards that were public. The boards I couldn't enter as a guest weren't listed in the center. However, I don't have the box checked where the guests could view the topics index. They can only view the board index on the main forum page, not the listing of topics within the board.

Iron IC

Quote from: avidum on February 16, 2007, 09:23:38 PM
I just noticed something. Certain boards I have allowed guests to view and some not view. But in the info center it says "view the most recent posts" and guests can click this on and read any post and access that board too! How can I prevent guests from viewing the most recent posts?

I have kind of the same problem. I have set view only boards on all forums, but guests can get in through the forum statistics!!!  If they "view latest post" or "view the most recent posts"they get direct access to any topic that`s open for regular members.

This must definately be a "security" issue with this mod. I can see guests browsing/reading topics all the time, topics they are not supposed to see !

Rudolf

I can't reproduce this issue. I have a test forum where I have two boards with topics in each of them. One board is accessible to guest the other no.
The recent posts page shows only the posts from the board the guest have access. But not from the other.

Iron IC

Do you mean that I additionally have to set local permissions to every forum, and restrict guests access to read topics from there?

Rudolf

Board: test1

Board: test2

The permissions are all the default ones.
Maybe check if you don't give access to guests in the local permissions.

Iron IC

avidum

Quote from: Iron IC on February 17, 2007, 10:46:01 AM
Quote from: avidum on February 16, 2007, 09:23:38 PM

I have kind of the same problem. I have set view only boards on all forums, but guests can get in through the forum statistics!!!  If they "view latest post" or "view the most recent posts"they get direct access to any topic that`s open for regular members.

This must definately be a "security" issue with this mod. I can see guests browsing/reading topics all the time, topics they are not supposed to see !

This is the exact same problem I am noticing too! Guests are viewing boards and topics they are not supposed to be allowed to view.

avidum

Oops sorry I guess I did not see that. Will try this and hopefully this will do it. Thanks!  

avidum

Ok I just realized what you are talking about. I have to make additional boards for each membergroup right? I think I am going to be somewhat busy for the rest of the evening. lol

I think I need to start from scratch again, cuz maybe I am not following this right. This is all new to me and I think the permissions by membergroup with selections is what I am not following. I feel like I am back in school again, lol. ;D

DreamSinger

Quote from: avidum on February 17, 2007, 04:22:36 PM
Ok I just realized what you are talking about. I have to make additional boards for each membergroup right?

No! You do not have to make a separate board for each membergroup! Is that what you're asking here?

There's one board, and different member groups are assigned different levels of permission as to whether they can access it (get inside the board and only read the threads or read and post in the threads) or just view the board index on the main forum page (that is they can see the board exists but cannot enter). I also believe you can set it up so they can see the titles of each thread within that board, but not read the posts in them, although I don't have mine set up that way.

Then you can create another board and set the permissions for that one. But not different boards for each membergroup. That would make me want to jump off a cliff.  :)

avidum

LOL ok maybe that is not what I meant. I think I just need to start this all over again. I am getting confused for some reason and it has nothing to do with how any of you are explaining it. I got lost somewhere back there and everything from that point on made no sense to me. It is really hard sometimes being a newbie because I sound like a complete goof. lol
Could someone just walk me through this, where should I start with this again? Sorry folks. :(

avidum

QuoteI also believe you can set it up so they can see the titles of each thread within that board, but not read the posts in them, although I don't have mine set up that way.

This is how I would like to have mine set up. How can I do this?

Iron IC

Hello! I can try to explain what I did to make this work that way (like you want).

First you must enable the mod in admin -> configurations -> Features and options, and check the checkbox for "Show the message index for "view only" boards"

Go to admin ->members -> permissions -> permission by board. Set the boards you would like to let guests only see the topic headings in, to "local".

(I found that I also had to set my other boards to local, if/where I wanted to give guests read permissions inside topics.)

Then, go to forum -> Boards -> and Modify (choose the forum(s) where you want it enabled). There you only give the guests visibility (checkbox on the right). For those groups you want to give both access and visibility, you must check both boxes.

For the boards you want to let them into, you do the oposit thing, check both boxes for guests and only access to other groups.

Hope this helps you. This is working nice on my board as far as I can tell.

Advertisement: