News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

All, I think I just fixed the quotes problem (finally) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Col

Great!

Hopefully, I will be able to try this out today. :)

glennk

Hi Guys,

I guess quite a few of you are using the pretty urls Mod by Eldacaka ?

Just to put my mind at rest could you people who use this mod reassure me that your forums are in google's main index and not supplemental ?

All my forum is in supplemental results but I'm hoping this is due to lack of links rather than any problem google has with the url rewriter. However I am paranoid as I should have enough pr and links to get some pages into main index.

So users please check out google and let me know how much of your forum is in the main index and how much is in supplementals?

Please feel free to pm me.

Cheers - Glenn

Goad

ok...so i finally got this working on my test site and i installed and enabled it on my production site.....everything seems to work fine except for whenever its enabled, the SMF arcade takes a dump....when you click on a game, it says "You need to enable javascript in order to play games."

as soon as i disable pretty urls, it works fine. any ideas?

Dannii

Anything in the error logs? What javascript is there?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

glennk

They all just ignore me. I am concerned there is something with this mod that google doesn't like. It would take just 1 person to say I have x amount of pages indexed in the main search results and I would be happy.

I am in a dilemma as to remove the mod and loose the links I have built up or to persevere as is ??

schled

I have seen more topics from my forum appear in Google's main index after installing this mod. I have been extremely pleased with the performance of this mod in all respects and believe it should be a part of the default package.

Dannii

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=site%3Aeldacar.com
I've got 341 pages indexed, which isn't bad when my site has only 74 posts.
[edit]Oh, that includes dev.eldacar.com, which is why there's more ;)

glennk

Hi eldacar,

Ive checked it out and that's eased my worries as I found some of your pages in the main index. Out of the 341 you only have 26 in the main index the rest are supplementals and of no use to you traffic wise. But I shouldnt knock that as you have 24 more than me in the main index, From 74 posts that good.

Thanks for that. I can rest at night now

Dannii

Actually the number of posts doesn't matter, it's the number of topics. I have 26 in public boards, of which only 17 are indexed. 3 are in the supplemental index.

Col

I think all my topics are indexed. It takes time for Google to decide if your pages are worth the effort of indexing.

glennk

Hi Col,

I checked out your forum. You don't have one single topic in the full index mate, your login section is indexed as is your arcade and a couple of boards but I couldn't find any topics in the main index.

All 699 except those mentioned are supplemental results.

Can anyone show me a site with all the pages in the main index ?

Col

Hi Glennk,

How did you perform the search with Google? I use the following, and gain 700 results.

Quotesite:www.benzobuddies.org/forum

Col

Glennk,

I just performed a similar search with your forum URL, and it returned 1,640 results! I gleaned your site URL from another of your posts. I'm assuming that your forum is about angling, right?

diplomat.

I installed this mod about a week or two ago and quite a few of my topics have been indexed, especially my ringtones

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atitaniumwg.com
avidSOUND.com: Where Aspiring Musicians Can Be HEARD!

viulian

Wow, this topic has now 25 pages (I think I last checked it when it had 5 pages or so) and things are looking good :)

Thanks eldʌkaː !

I have a question: I am using mkportal for my site, and was wondering whether some of you guys actually used Pretty URLs with mkportal + UTF8 charset.
Thanks!

anakmacan

ive just installed this wonderful mod 5 minutes ago, tested on my forum.. and it seems no trouble at all, hopefully for good. Thank you eldakai! how can we show you gratitude? dont you have google ads somewhere for me to *uhum*uhum* hehehehe..

glennk

Hi Eldacka,

I currently have a problem. I installed the tagging mod and it wouldn't function correctly so as suggested in the tagging mod topic I uninstalled pretty urls and the tagging mod started to work.

I then tried to reinstall the pretty urls mod and get the following error :

An Error Has Occurred!
Hacking attempt...

Can you advise please ?

Dannii

The tagging mod is using $_REQUEST['topic'] directly rather than $topic. I already asked for it to be fixed. but I don't know if vbgamer is interested anymore. If you changed it manually to use $topic I think it would work.

glennk

How about getting the pretty urls mod back in place though ? Even with the tagging mod uninstalled I get this error when trying to install pretty urls

An Error Has Occurred!
Hacking attempt...

Advertisement: