News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourfavwine

Hmm, ok I uninstalled and reinstalled (btw, never had any error messages on install) and there is a .htaccess file automatically generated now in my forum folder.

But I'm still getting the 404 error when I click on a board...thanks
hxxp:ourfavoritewines.com [nonactive]

viulian

The answer is in Apache's logs (not Forum Error Log). Please access them and check the last lines, you'll see what the server tries to do and copy paste the lines here.

From my point of view, an 404 can mean anything :) from bugs to bad configuration, etc. Unless more details are provided... I personally can't tell what's wrong.

ourfavwine

Thanks for your help Viulian...I have turned on the Apache error logs (I have go daddy, they don't have an option where the logs are always on) and have let it run while I clicked on the boards. There's doesn't seem to be anything there about this issue, but it does say:

[Fri Sep 21 13:56:24 2007] [error] [client hxxp:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx [nonactive]] File does not exist: /xxx/xxx/favicon.ico
[Fri Sep 21 13:56:24 2007] [error] [client hxxp:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx [nonactive]] File does not exist: /xxx/xxx/missing.html

aldo

HOw come you cant make it so the URL doesnt have a 0 in it? Oh and Where can I get that profile mod you were talking about, and great mod :)

Dannii

Quote from: ourfavwine on September 21, 2007, 03:52:41 PMFirst let me express my appreciation for this great mod and all the hard work you've put in to it, not only with the original coding but also the support you've given in this thread. I had previously tried to get seo4smf working and after about a week of banging my head against the wall, finally found this mod, which seems far superior.
You're welcome ;)

QuoteI have looked through this thread quite a bit and been unable to figure out what is wrong with my site and this mod. I am using the latest, 0.7 version, along with 1.1.3 smf.

When I mouse over the board topic, the link that displays is a "pretty one", but when I click, I get a 404 error. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have a .htaccess automatically generated in the forum folder? There is not one there. Do I need to write one myself? I do have a .htaccess in a higher directory.

The forums are located at http://ourfavoritewines.com/forum

Thanks again for any help you can provide, and I apologize if I'm missing something obvious or overlooked something in the thread up to this point.
As you've turned it off, I can't help much. Switch it on and I'll see how I can help.

aldo, I don't recommend removing the page number, but if you really want to, you could exit PrettyUrls-Filters.php to test whether $urls[$crc]['start'] == 0, and if so, change the output format.
And I don't know what profile mod you're referring to.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

clarkkent93

I'm trying to go to the forum you have listed but it keeps giving me an error saying it can't find the server.  I'd like to see what you have before installing.

Does it also show the profile package as well?
SMF 1.1.6

ourfavwine

QuoteThe forums are located at hxxp:ourfavoritewines.com/forum [nonactive]

Thanks again for any help you can provide, and I apologize if I'm missing something obvious or overlooked something in the thread up to this point.
As you've turned it off, I can't help much. Switch it on and I'll see how I can help.

Oops. Ok, it's back on now...I do have an auto-generated .htaccess file now. When I mouse over, the link looks good, but when I click it goes to gobbledygook (ex:hxxp:ourfavoritewines.com/ourfavoritewines/forum/index.php/?pretty%3bboard=your-favorite-wines.0 [nonactive])

Any ideas?

Dannii

Quote from: clarkkent93 on September 23, 2007, 04:18:26 PMI'm trying to go to the forum you have listed but it keeps giving me an error saying it can't find the server.  I'd like to see what you have before installing.

Does it also show the profile package as well?
The Dev forum? Yeah the server died and I haven't put it back up again yet. I might get time to do so today.

ourfavwine, that's really weird. Can you copy up the .htaccess file here? Do you have a .htaccess file in the root domain?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

ourfavwine

Quote from: eldʌkaː on September 23, 2007, 08:25:22 PM
ourfavwine, that's really weird. Can you copy up the .htaccess file here? Do you have a .htaccess file in the root domain?

I do have two .htaccess files, one in the root domain and one in the /forum folder. My understanding is that the one in the /forum folder would over-ride the one at a higher level, for files within the /forum folder? The .htaccess in the /forum folder is the auto-generated one from pretty urls, and reads:

#   Pretty URLs mod
#   hxxp:code.google.com/p/prettyurls/ [nonactive]
#   .htaccess file generated automatically on: September 23, 2007, 17:11

RewriteEngine on

#   Rules for: boards
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1.0 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([0-9]*)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1.$2 [L,QSA]

#   Rules for: topics
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1;topic=$2.0 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([-_!~*'()$a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([0-9]*|msg[0-9]*|new)/?$ ./index.php?pretty;board=$1;topic=$2.$3 [L,QSA]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am running Wordpress for another part of the site, and have a www to no-www redirect in the other .htaccess (in the root folder), which reads as follows:

Options +Indexes
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond ${HTTP_HOST} .
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^ourfavoritewines\.com
RewriteRule (.*) hxxp:ourfavoritewines.com/$1 [nonactive] [L,R=301]

RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule (.*) hxxp:ourfavoritewines.com/$1/ [nonactive] [L,R=301]

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again!

Dannii

QuoteI do have two .htaccess files, one in the root domain and one in the /forum folder.
No, it runs each of them in turn, first the root, then the forum specific ones.

You'll have to add a RewriteCond to ignore anything in the /forum/ directory. I've never used RewriteCond's, so I can't help sorry.

ourfavwine

Quote from: eldʌkaː on September 23, 2007, 09:09:46 PM
QuoteI do have two .htaccess files, one in the root domain and one in the /forum folder.
No, it runs each of them in turn, first the root, then the forum specific ones.

You'll have to add a RewriteCond to ignore anything in the /forum/ directory. I've never used RewriteCond's, so I can't help sorry.

Ahh, ok...well I will look in to that, and if I figure it out, I'll be sure to post it here.

Kevin Paquet

Quote// Pretty URLs mod $txt['pretty_root_url'] = 'Pretty URLs root URL
(Without a final slash)
'; $txt['pretty_enable_filters'] = 'Enable URL filters
This may be a substantial performance hit
';

help me

Dannii

I don't know what your problem is, nor why you're quoting code at me.

boylah

First of all I want to thank you for this helpfull mod!

I have one question
Will PrettyURLS work with SMF 1.1.4?

Thank you

Dannii

Kevin Paquet

Quote from: eldʌkaː on September 27, 2007, 10:14:33 PM
I don't know what your problem is, nor why you're quoting code at me.
the post I quoted is the error message I got

Dannii

You're getting HACK ATTEMPT still? That code should be in a language file, can you post the whole file here?

Cavan

Here we go again...I've installed this mod successfully but there are zero changes to my URLs.

Questions:

I've read in this topic that you need to install other files (actions, profile) for this mod to work but that isn't even mentioned in the first post about this mod. How do you expect users to install this mod properly if you don't bother to explain this in the first place? Don't take that as my being rude but as a legitimate question.

Where on earth do you even enable this mod? The only thing in Features and Options is a text box for "Pretty URLs root URL" and a check box to "Enable URL filters"? Is something missing or is that it?

What's all this about an .htaccess file being generated by installing this mod? I already have an .htaccess file in my root directory but this mod has had absolutely NO effect on it.

FYI, I'm using a clean SMF 1.1.4 install because I just had to reinstall everything after the SEO4SMF mod broke navigation and sorting on my site. Looks like I'll have to uninstall this mod...and then probably have to reinstall everything all over again.

viulian

It seems you did not read the Readme :) or whatever.
You need to activate it too.. Search this thread and you'll find out where.

Cavan

Quote from: viulian on September 29, 2007, 09:04:40 AM
It seems you did not read the Readme :) or whatever.
You need to activate it too.. Search this thread and you'll find out where.

Read me? What "Read Me" file? There ISN'T one....not in the base, profile, or actions files.

Advertisement: