News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scwebman

Sorry for the late response.  Here is my error log when I get "hacking attempt...":

REPLACE INTO smf_pretty_topic_urls
(ID_TOPIC, pretty_url)
VALUES (76, "how-to-sell-on-ebay-frequently-asked-questions-by-new-ebay-sellers"), (3, "getting-started-with-html"), (4, "cold-calling"), (6, "selecting-a-camera-for-ebay-photography"), (7, "cameras-controls-and-settings-for-your-internet-photos"), (8, "what-laris-feature-do-you-like-best"), (9, "top-10-to-do-list-for-starting-a-successful-ebay-drop-off-store"), (10, "adding-product-and-ebay-catergories"), (11, "what-is-the-best-handheld-scanner-or-pda-to-use"), (12, "new!-support-for-marketing-analytics"), (13, "vista-print-offers-many-free-business-cards-and-marketing-items-but-beware!"), (14, "how-to-deal-with-harassment-from-ebay-buyers"), (15, "free-christmas-countdown-banners-for-your-listings-or-store"), (16, "bulk-update-templates-for-current-ebay-auctions"), (17, "combined-shipping-discounts-on-calculated-shipping-items"), (18, "bulk-image-resize-and-quality-change-optimize-your-pics-for-the-web-for-free"), (19, "setting-up-laris-for-google-base"), (20, "thinking-of-getting-laris-q-and-a-here!"), (21, "choosing-a-name-for-your-online-company-website-or-store"), (22, "can-laris-automatically-generate-reports-then-email-them"), (23, "moved-can-laris-automatically-generate-reports-then-email-them"), (24, "inventory-not-available-for-listing"), (25, "how-about-a-template-preview-button"), (26, "need-a-way-to-offer-free-shipping-to-the-us-and-canada"), (27, "ebay-auctions-and-store-inventory"), (28, "ebay-uk"), (29, "moved-new!-support-for-marketing-analytics"), (30, "resolved-ups-ship-api-shipping-calculator-issue-(resolved)"), (31, "resolved-ecommerce-websites-database-connection-error"), (32, "multichannelmerchant-has-a-must-read-article-on-shipping-changes"), (33, "resolved-order-lookup-by-ebay-user-id-is-causing-slow-downs-and-errors"), (34, "resolved-ongoing-paypal-troubles"), (35, "amazon-integration-now-live!-click-for-details"), (36, "laris-system-outage-525pm-est-to-535pm-est"), (37, "email-notifications-enhancements-and-reversions"), (38, "paypal-initiate-payments-from-the-pay-anyone-tab-will-not-disable"), (39, "resolved-important-usps-shippers"), (40, "ebay-store-inventory"), (41, "what-does-an-ecommerce-store-look-like-when-hosted-through-laris"), (42, "usps-shipping"), (43, "been-working-with-laris-for-2-days-nothing-so-far"), (44, "resolved-website-downtime-and-server-errors"), (45, "does-laris-work-with-ups-worldship"), (46, "e-bay-branching-out-to-a-younger-generation-see-how"), (47, "direct-shipments"), (48, "introduction-to-multi-venue-management"), (49, "the-new-hot-blog-to-track-in-e-commerce"), (50, "export-to-ubid"), (51, "reducing-your-paypal-fees-with-merchant-rates"), (52, "ok-can-we-do-this-half-way"), (53, "update-server-maintenance-scheduled-for-friday-may-4-at-500-am-900-am-est"), (54, "ability-to-re-email-order-invoice-by-logging-into-order"), (55, "laris-provides-integration-with-paypal-express-checkout"), (56, "feedback-2-0-ebay-to-go-google-checkout-and-more"), (57, "reminder-usps-service-options-have-changed!"), (58, "usps-rate-server-causing-timeouts-with-calculator"), (59, "ebay-givingworks"), (61, "auto-list-new-auction-for-item-receiving-bid"), (62, "emergency-downtime-at-500pm-est"), (63, "final-value-fee-discount-for-ebay-com-ebay-ca-and-motors-ebay-com"), (64, "when-does-google-checkout-get-integrated"), (65, "paypal-scheduled-maintenance-friday-july-13-1230-am-to-130-am-pdt"), (66, "ebay-issue-description-corrupted-for-items-listed-via-both-laris-and-syi"), (67, "google-checkout-is-now-available-to-laris-merchants!"), (68, "important-please-backup-pr-notification-for-e-mail-notification-engine-upgrade"), (69, "hello-my-name-is-antonio"), (70, "important-request-to-our-customers-regarding-ebay-listings"), (71, "ship-more-efficiently-the-basics"), (72, "getting-started-with-html-t72"), (73, "laris-now-supports-rubber-stamp-for-fedex\'s-labels"), (74, "i-would-like-to-see-ebay-title-cap-for-inventory-upload"), (75, "moved-when-does-google-checkout-get-integrated"), (77, "can-the-little-guy-still-make-money-on-ebay"), (78, "managing-a-full-time-job-and-an-ebay-business"), (79, "an-introduction-to-multi-venue-e-commerce-selling"), (80, "what-should-i-sell-on-ebay-part-i"), (81, "what-should-i-sell-on-ebay-part-ii"), (82, "how-to-make-$9-95-extra-income-on-almost-every-ebay-auction-that-closes-successf"), (83, "how-to-save-money-on-shipping"), (84, "the-seven-deadly-sins-of-ebay-sellers"), (85, "learn-the-math-if-you-want-to-make-money-on-ebay"), (86, "help-i-pictures-not-showing-up!!!"), (87, "drop-shipping-for-ebay"), (88, "how-and-why-to-get-a-state-sales-tax-number"), (89, "t89"), (90, "dropshipping-frequenly-asked-questions-(faqs)"), (91, "what-are-the-dangers-of-dropshipping"), (92, "niche-marketing-strategies-on-ebay"), (93, "buying-closeout-merchandise"), (95, "love-the-multi-image-upload!!"), (96, "social-bookmarking-what-is-it-and-how-will-it-drive-traffic-to-your-business"), (97, "why-your-e-commerce-website-needs-a-blog"), (98, "automotive-ebay"), (99, "i-am-finding-new-features-that-would-help-laris-become-even-more"), (100, "testing"), (101, "want-to-add-some-holiday-spice-to-your-listings")
File: /var/www/vhosts/sellcenter.net/httpdocs/community/Sources/Subs-PrettyUrls.php
Line: 233

It passes all of the tests fine previously, but when I click proceed I get the "Hacking attempt..." error.

Thanks for your help!

cru

eldacar! it worked now! the problem was for previous topics with quotes before installation of this mod. i deleted all topics with quotes, then installed 0.8 and it worked!

i have tp installed but i did not install this >> Pretty URLs - Actions - Extention: none

thank you!!!!!

Col

Hi ელდაქა, (thank heavens for copy/paste)

If I uninstall this mod, but keep the index table in the DB, will the redirects still work for the existing posts? I suppose I'm mostly worried about what would happen if support for this mod ever dried up.

Also, if I did indeed remove this mod, is there some way of redirecting the search engines to the usual URL for all the search engine indexed pages?

Thanks.

Nao 尚

Quote from: Col on November 03, 2007, 12:41:49 AM
If I uninstall this mod, but keep the index table in the DB, will the redirects still work for the existing posts?
Yes they will.

QuoteI suppose I'm mostly worried about what would happen if support for this mod ever dried up.
Why would it stop?
And what would be the problem? When a popular mod is no longer supported, there's always someone to step up and keep maintaining it, if not for bug fixes, at least for newer SMF versions.

QuoteAlso, if I did indeed remove this mod, is there some way of redirecting the search engines to the usual URL for all the search engine indexed pages?
Yes but you would have to program it manually. (Not much to do, though. About 20 lines of code I'd say, and they're all in the mod.)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Dannii

Quote(thank heavens for copy/paste)
Hehe, Isn't Georgian pretty?

QuoteIf I uninstall this mod, but keep the index table in the DB, will the redirects still work for the existing posts? I suppose I'm mostly worried about what would happen if support for this mod ever dried up.
Hmm you're wanting to rewrite the pretty to the numbered URLs? If you uninstalled it completely that wouldn't work, but if you left a little bit of the code it could.

QuoteAnd what would be the problem? When a popular mod is no longer supported, there's always someone to step up and keep maintaining it, if not for bug fixes, at least for newer SMF versions.
Not always, depends on the licencing of the mod...

scwebman, I'm sorry but I can't see what's wrong with that query... does it work if you enable the 'disableQueryCheck' setting (ie, add it to the smf_settings table)?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Col

Quote from: ელდაქა on November 03, 2007, 09:36:38 AM
Quote from: Nao 尚 on November 03, 2007, 06:38:55 AM
And what would be the problem? When a popular mod is no longer supported, there's always someone to step up and keep maintaining it, if not for bug fixes, at least for newer SMF versions.
Not always, depends on the licencing of the mod...

And how popular the mod, and if someone capable will take up the challenge when the original developer moves on. There is more than one mod here that I will not use because it is not properly supported.

What are people's experiences with mod in terms of SEO? I can't say I've noticed, much, if any, difference. I can see why it should help, but it doesn't seem to have helped me. :(

Thanks.

Dannii

Mine seems to be going pretty well, but at the same time I also shifted to using one of Eren's themes... so it might be a combination of the two.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Col

What is it about the Erin's theme that might help?

Dannii

It has beautiful semantic HTML.

Nao 尚

Such as <h1> at the right place?
(Wow, you have 7000 posts!)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Dannii

That it even has <h1> tags is a huge enough step up from the SMF default :P

And of course I do! The question is, is it worth keeping enough that I should delete an old post for each new one I make to keep myself at this number?

Col

Hi,

Yes, the omission of H1 tags is a pretty big ommision!

Col

Hi,

OK, I would like uninstall this mod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If possible, I would like to keep the Pretty table (and whatever code I need) to keep the internal links working after I uninstall. Ideally, I would really like some way of using the existing Pretty table to produce permanent redirects for the search engines.

I cannot code, so it needs to be pretty simple.

Thanks.

Nao 尚

I'd advise you to learn a bit more about PHP before you start using complex mods... There's never any guarantee that they'll work out-of-the-box. Otherwise they'd probably be in the default SMF package by now :P

Anyway, I don't see why you can't uninstall PrettyURLs. I do that on a daily basis to test my new code ;)

Dannii

QuoteIf possible, I would like to keep the Pretty table (and whatever code I need) to keep the internal links working after I uninstall. Ideally, I would really like some way of using the existing Pretty table to produce permanent redirects for the search engines.
Hmm, what I'd do is to keep the mod installed but disable the filters. Then try making these two changes:
Display.php:
Code (find) Select
if (isset($context['pretty']['oldschoolquery']) && $modSettings['pretty_enable_filters'])
Code (replace) Select
if (!isset($context['pretty']['oldschoolquery']))

MessageIndex.php:
Code (find) Select
if ((isset($context['pretty']['oldschoolquery']) || $_REQUEST['board'] != $context['pretty']['board_urls'][$board]) && $modSettings['pretty_enable_filters'])
Code (replace) Select
if (!isset($context['pretty']['oldschoolquery']))

2pac

Quote from: ܝܠܕܟ on November 05, 2007, 09:47:13 AM
That it even has <h1> tags is a huge enough step up from the SMF default :P

And of course I do! The question is, is it worth keeping enough that I should delete an old post for each new one I make to keep myself at this number?

no, you gotta go for 10,000

lol i did that in a forum once, and then i created another account name, but i forgot i had automatic login in one of our computers and i was logged in as my old SN, so i posted and it went up to 10001... i asked the mod to delete a post for me, but it didnt work, the number stayed :(

2pac

im just wondering, is there an advantage to installing pretty urls? do bots prefer them over the regular ones? does it help with search engine position? im just curious... although i already have it installed

Dannii

I'm not sure if the bots do like them (though I suspect they do), but the main advantage is that they just exude awesomeness.

Nao 尚

Quote from: ܝܠܕܟ on November 08, 2007, 04:53:47 AM
I'm not sure if the bots do like them (though I suspect they do), but they main advantage is that they just exude awesomeness.
I read somewhere that it doesn't help Google ranking, although it might be due to not waiting long enough for the change to occur.
Maybe it's not useful at first, but if someone posts somewhere a link to your topic, and this link only shows the URL, then you may get extra points for the keywords in your URL. Anyway, in any case people outside your forum will be more likely to click on a link when they can see the contents, instead of an obscure topic ID.

Col

Quote from: Nao 尚 on November 08, 2007, 02:45:22 AM
I'd advise you to learn a bit more about PHP before you start using complex mods... There's never any guarantee that they'll work out-of-the-box. Otherwise they'd probably be in the default SMF package by now :P

Anyway, I don't see why you can't uninstall PrettyURLs. I do that on a daily basis to test my new code ;)

Hi,

I think you will find that vast majority of those that use SMF and install mods cannot code. I will seek out information and make small changes, but mostly I just play about with what PHP is already there, and just change the appearance of things.

Nearly always, all I need do install the mod through admin. There might be occasional complications that I can sort out for myself. This mod, though, is still under development, so maybe I should have left it alone until later. There are some things I find frustrating, like the URL retaining the original board name if it is moved to another board. That sort of thing just irritates me (other's, I'm sure, would dismiss it as unimportant, because, usually, it is unimportant); but that's the way I'm put together.

Uninstalling is not without consequences. I've been using this mod for many months, so many links have developed using the Pretty URLs. Uninstalling will break the links - this matters to a working forum!

Eldeka (or whatever your name is now ::)) - thanks. I don't suppose there is any practical way of generating permanent redirects? Also, what are your future plans for this mod in terms of functionality?

Thanks.

Advertisement: