Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

Message for Eldacar/Dannii :)

(Writing to you both here, in your PM and on your forum, since I don't know which place you visit most ;) Just reply anywhere you like.)

I was thinking... Since you added a whole portion of code to make sure PHPSESSID isn't cached but is still retained in the final URL, why not do the same for "msg="...?
I've checked my database. For my last 30 cached URLs, 18 of them have a "msg=..." in it, and about 25 have msg=, at= or quote= in it (followed with a message ID). When I switch to another page in a board, it will cache another series of "msg=..." URLs with the same contents otherwise.

Actually, there are SEVEN new cached entries PER single message in a topic. That is, if I start reading a topic with 100 messages, in it, a total of 700 semi-useless entries will be cached, which could be saved just by doing a search/replace pattern for "(msg|at|quote)=[0-9]+".

I don't know exactly what will be the performance impact if this is done (there will probably BE a performance impact, since sending the REPLACE INTO query is quite fast in its own right), but I guess it won't be much different from a PHPSESSID search & replace, since PHPSESSID basically is on NO link at all, or on ALL of them.

Anyway, the point here is that I would like to avoid having the cache table reach sizes of 75-80MB like was mentioned by other users. I know this can be fixed by purging the table on a daily basis, but still, on huge boards, this is probably not the best solution.

Would like your opinion on that...
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

ryanhellyer

52 pages of reading and I still haven't found the answer to my question :(

I thought this post was the solution to my problem ...
Quote from: Nao 尚 on October 17, 2007, 06:59:49 PM
Quote from: Valiantheart on October 17, 2007, 01:54:11 PM
Why is there a /0/ after the URL? For example, the topic "About" would be http://www.mydomain.com/about/0/
It's the equivalent to "?topic=xxx.0" where xxx is the topic ID.
0 is the message or topic index. "/about/50/" will show you the next 50 topics.
The latest PrettyURLs beta removes these useless zeros. Or read earlier pages of this topic for a quick hack to remove them.
... but I downloaded the latest Pretty URL's beta and it didn't fix the problem and I couldn't find a 'quick hack' in the earlier pages of the topic :(

Can anyone help/point me in the direction of the 'quick hack'?

I see that they're working on http://dev.eldacar.com/smf/ so it's possible.

Nao 尚

Uninstall prettyurls, delete your pretty urls mysql tables, and reinstall...
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

ryanhellyer

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 21, 2007, 04:53:57 PM

Ah, so it's meant to work out of the box then? But something went wrong?

I'll give your advice a bash though and see if that does the trick.

thanks,
Ryan

ryanhellyer

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 21, 2007, 04:53:57 PM

Tried that. But it didn't help :(

Dorian

I've got a suggestion. :)
Maybe I'm doing it the next days myself, or someone else does it, it doesn't really matter. But how about converting unicode UTF-8 characters into %<HEX-A>%<HEX-B> in the URLs as Wikipedia does this?
Just for those which can't be really expressed in latin letters. ;)
I'm your creativity creator:)

Dannii

Ryan, when did you explain your problem? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Dorian, Nao has tried something similar to that. I'll be looking into it sometime, but it's lower priority than the other stuff I'm working on.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

ryanhellyer

Quote from: Dannii on December 21, 2007, 07:59:27 PMRyan, when did you explain your problem? I have no idea what you're talking about.

It was a few posts up the page. I'm just trying to strip out the zero's from the end of the URL's like you have in your dev forum ...

Quote from: ryanhellyer on December 21, 2007, 03:24:06 PM

Why is there a /0/ after the URL? For example, the topic "About" would be http://www.mydomain.com/about/0/
The latest PrettyURLs beta removes these useless zeros. Or read earlier pages of this topic for a quick hack to remove them.
... but I downloaded the latest Pretty URL's beta and it didn't fix the problem and I couldn't find a 'quick hack' in the earlier pages of the topic :(

Nao 尚

Quote from: Dorian on December 21, 2007, 06:08:20 PM
Maybe I'm doing it the next days myself, or someone else does it, it doesn't really matter. But how about converting unicode UTF-8 characters into %<HEX-A>%<HEX-B> in the URLs as Wikipedia does this?
Just for those which can't be really expressed in latin letters. ;)
Just visit Eldacar's forum, click on one of my posts, read through my list of latest posts and you'll probably find a copy of my custom version. It has flawless support for percent-encoded data, among other things. (Faster by 200 to 300%, less bugs...)

Dannii

Or just install the latest snapshot.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Dannii

There's a new snapshot to try, with some big changes. Check the changelog for details.

Mick.

I have an issue.

Im using your mod and when i go to whatever board and click a topic,it brings me back to the board index.  It doesnt take me to the topic i want to read. This doesnt happen to all topics,just some of them.

any ideas?

I uploaded your latest but it also happened on your previous version.

Assistance

is something suppose to happen when I click the maintenance icon ?
cause it takes me no where

also, no idea where this change log is...
~playing poker~

Mick.

Quote from: BlueDevil on December 26, 2007, 03:42:26 PM
I have an issue.

Im using your mod and when i go to whatever board and click a topic,it brings me back to the board index.&nbsp; It doesnt take me to the topic i want to read. This doesnt happen to all topics,just some of them.

any ideas?

I uploaded your latest but it also happened on your previous version.

Ok....i found my problem not being able to read some topics.

If the topics has these simbol   '        like   michael's or  joe's in any word....it wont read the topic.

How can i correct this?

Dannii

Quoteis something suppose to happen when I click the maintenance icon ?
cause it takes me no where
Not yet.

Quotealso, no idea where this change log is...
http://prettyurls.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/changelog.txt

QuoteOk....i found my problem not being able to read some topics.

If the topics has these simbol   '        like   michael's or  joe's in any word....it wont read the topic.

How can i correct this?
You were using an older version of the mod before upgrading to the snapshot? Before upgrading to a 0.8 snapshot you really have to completely uninstall the mod sorry. You can try using this tool: http://prettyurls.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uninstall.php
I'll try to release another snapshot in a couple of days that would solve this problem so you don't have to uninstall it. Feel like waiting till then?

ryanhellyer

Can anyone help me with this? I'm going to get square eyes if I try to read through all of the posts in this topic again (I've read them twice so far). I'm sure the answer is staring me in the face, but I just can't find it :( It's possible, coz it's working in the Dev forum, but it won't work when I install the latest version on my own board :(

Quote from: ryanhellyer on December 21, 2007, 03:24:06 PM

Mick.

Quote from: Dannii on December 26, 2007, 11:13:12 PM
You were using an older version of the mod before upgrading to the snapshot? Before upgrading to a 0.8 snapshot you really have to completely uninstall the mod sorry. You can try using this tool: http://prettyurls.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/uninstall.php
I'll try to release another snapshot in a couple of days that would solve this problem so you don't have to uninstall it. Feel like waiting till then?

I can wait.  Thanx.

Dannii

ryanhellyer, did you install 0.7, or the latest snapshot?

ryanhellyer

Quote from: Dannii on December 27, 2007, 09:57:56 PM
ryanhellyer, did you install 0.7, or the latest snapshot?

prettyurls-base_0_7.tar.gz which I'm guessing is different from the latest snapshot?

In which case I'll go try the snapshot, or is that too buggy for use?

Dannii

Advertisement: