News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Pretty URLs

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 31, 2007, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannii

No try installing this one. If it misses one part of the mod, it should still work fine. (well as long as the base package installed perfectly). I might even make it skip errors...
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

hawkshaw

Execute Modification    ./Sources/BoardIndex.php    Test failed

Continue the installation by ignoring that ? uh oh... that sounds full of risk :p :(

Dannii

It means that not all of the URLs will be changed, however as I will add a filter in a later version, that won't matter.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

hawkshaw

I prefer to wait then :) Good luck in making the next version ^^

Toadmund

Welp, here's mine:
QuoteModification Packages
   Mod Name    Version    
1.    SMF 1.0.9 and 1.1 RC3-1 Security Patch    1.0.8/1.1 RC3    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    SMF 1.1.1 Update Package    1.1.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    SMF 1.0.9 and 1.1 RC3-1 Security Patch    1.0.8/1.1 RC3    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    Pretty URLs - Extention: none    0.3    [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    Pretty URLs - Base    0.3    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    SMF 1.0.8 Update Package    1.0.8    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    SMF 1.0.9 and 1.1 RC3-1 Security Patch    1.0.8/1.1 RC3    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    SMF 1.1.1 Update Package    1.1.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    Seo 4 SMF    0.2.4    [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.    Topic description    1.0    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.    SMF 1.1.1 Update Package    1.1.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.    SMF Archive    1.1    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.    YouTube BBC Tag (XHTML Compliant)    1.0    [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.    SMF 1.0.9 and 1.1 RC3-1 Security Patch    1.0.8/1.1 RC3    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.    SMF 1.0.8 Update Package    1.0.8    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.    SMF 1.1.1 Update Package    1.1.1    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

As you can see, I actually have only 2 mods installed, the other ones I put on the backburner.
Is it safe to delete all that pre-1.1.1 stuff?

I assume it's SMF Archive that may be conflicting?
QuoteExecute Modification    ./Sources/BoardIndex.php    Test failed

rubble

I'd love to use this mod but can't get it to work. I've tried to follow your directions but I don't know what you're taking about on that third one.

* Download and install the base package from the mod site.
    * Using FTP, rename example.htaccess to .htaccess
    * Download the extension-none (and the TP-ext-none if you use TinyPortal) package from the Package List, or just from the site directly, and then install them.

Done 1 and 2 no problem but what is "extension-none package from the package list"?

There's no link to it on your mod page. I can't find a mod called that in the download section. I can't find it on my server. In my admin>packages I can't find any mention of it.  I also tried to figure out what this means: "or just from the site directly". What site?

I have a feeling that this must be something well know in the SMF community but I've only been here 2 days so any info is appreciated. Thanks.  :)

Dannii

If you go to "Download Packages" you'll see "Pretty URLs Package List" listed there. Click on "[ Browse ]", and then you can download the other mods.
Or just get them from http://code.google.com/p/prettyurls/downloads/list

rubble

Got it to work very quickly once I found that file. Thanks for your help! It's a great mod!  

Toadmund

I got it working, previously I had a problem with the extension
QuoteExecute Modification    ./Sources/BoardIndex.php    Test failed

Then I tried to install the
Quoteprettyurls-ext-none_0_3.tar.gz    
and then display.php frigged up, then I simply deleted it (display.php) and replaced it, I don't know if I changed boardindex.php or it just frigged up too. Oh Well.
Now it works :D
Thanks man!!! :P

Edit-looking back it was hawkshaw that had the boardindex.php problem, not me, I must have quoted the wrong line? Mine was display.php.

Dannii

I'm glad it's working for you both now.

L.G.S

I installed this then decided i didn't want it, so I uninstalled it.

Although in the admin section, Base URL box is still under features and options, what code do I change to remove it?
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

stoecki

it would be nice if they were replaced in this way:

ä becomes ae
ö becomes oe
ü becomes ue
ß becomes ss

anyway, thanks for this great mod!

Dannii

L.G.S., look in ModSettings.php
stoecki, hmmm, I'll consider that.

viulian

I've read these pages and I still have a question :)

Does this mod properly handle 301 redirects to the new URLs ?

Dannii

Not yet, but I'm working on adding that.

viulian

Kewl..
The reason I asked is that I too started working on something similar (and looks uglier than yours too), but never got the time to finish it :D nor I feel very motivated now that I see the results on your work.

So I will wait for yours to finish and use it :) as it looks pretty.

Couple of more questions:
a) about .htaccess file - do IPs of visitors appear properly in forum stats ?
b) does "Database Backup" work (the one in the admin backend) ?

Dannii

Hmm.. I don't know about the IPs, but I can't see why they wouldn't appear properly.
As to the database backup, that should work perfectly.

bluegray

I installed the mod and it looks like it is working well.
5 questions:

1. Why didn't SMF work like this from the start? ;)

2. I get urls like http://forum.skeptic.za.org/9/0/ instead of http://forum.skeptic.za.org/introduce-yourself/0/ when I use the SSI.php functions on my homepage. Just realized, that's probably because I didn't modify the .htaccess file for my homepage, it is on a different subdomain.  :-[

3. One topic is prettified as t12. I suspect it is a problem with the ä character.

4. When will the 301 redirects be ready?

5. I have custom sitemaps both for Google and an html page, like here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=59676.0
How can I modify it to use my pretty urls?

Thanks for a great mod.

Dannii

1. Well it is less efficient than how SMF works by default.. however for most boards the performance hit probably won't be noticeable.

2. Hmm weird. Can you check in your error log for anything suspicious? You won't need a .htaccess file in your homepage, I very much doubt that would be the problem.

3. Hmm, can you again check the error log. Accented characters should work fine (as I've tested them on the dev forum). Which character encoding does your forum use? Maybe it's a problem.

4. Hopefully not too long, a week maybe if you're lucky. I'm kind of busy with other stuff though ;)

5. Hmmm.. can you post up the code?

Zenigata

Great mod! This have to be integrated in SMF core!

Advertisement: