News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[README] SSI FAQ's

Started by Tomer, August 09, 2004, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomer

I've noticed that the SSI FAQ's may have gotten a bit lost in the boards, here are links. :D

Basic SSI FAQ

Advanced SSI FAQ

Expert SSI FAQ

General Documentation on Using SSI

Please remember, these are not official or anything.

Bandecko

These are all great!  I'd like to see more info on the $context variable and things of that nature.  I don't think I would have stumbled upon these until you condensed them here.  Thanks!

Tomer

Well that really isn't SSI but maybe. :)

Bandecko

Well, this doesn't seem like true ssi to me anyway, mainly just importing functions from the board to other aspects of a site using an included php file.  True ssi has a different markup and is content generated from the actual web server I thought.

That was my understanding of this this works anyway.  I could be way off base.

** edit **

Never mind.  I'm an idiot :P
I just read a little more about the $context variable.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Bandecko on September 02, 2004, 03:04:08 PM
Well, this doesn't seem like true ssi to me anyway, mainly just importing functions from the board to other aspects of a site using an included php file.  True ssi has a different markup and is content generated from the actual web server I thought.

While that's right, it was only the initial (read: archaic :P) use of SSI.php.  It retains the same name, but it's now much much more useful as a PHP include.

-[Unknown]

Bandecko

Yeah, I was thinking the $context variable was a part of SSI.php, but I guess it's uses extend beyond that right?

Is there a list of the variables within the $context array, or am I stuck just looping through it on my own :)

[Unknown]

It differs from page to page - it is the *context* of that page view.  It is in its essence to vary in content.

I suggest you use print_r(), and remember that just because you see it's available in one place doesn't mean it's available everywhere - sometimes that wouldn't make sense.  For example, what would $context['member'] be on admin?

-[Unknown]

Bandecko

I remember reading that it did change on a per page basis (which makes sense given the name).

Thanks for the help.  The $context variable is something I havn't seen any where else, not just it's usage, but the idea behind it entirely.  It's a very sweet idea.

I plan on using it with access control to certain pages on the main site, so I'll be wanting to do some checking for admin or even member groups.  In order to do that though, I wanted to know exactly which array portions I should be using (the names mostly).  So I'll stop bugging you about it, and just do the work myself :)

Thanks a lot though!

bmupton

Is there a complete listing someplace with all the available parameters for all the ssi functions?

I've read the FAQ's, and they helped me tremendously, but I'd like a listing of all available parameters for each function.

Or can one glean this information by simply reading the ssi.php file?

Thanks,
-Brent

[Unknown]

Quote from: bmupton on February 07, 2005, 08:49:23 PM

Yes, this information is in that file.  When/if I ever have a spare moment again, I hope to write a bonified tutorial on SSI.php and a reference on the functions.

-[Unknown]

bmupton

Quote from: [Unknown] on February 07, 2005, 09:09:49 PM
Quote from: bmupton on February 07, 2005, 08:49:23 PM

Yes, this information is in that file. When/if I ever have a spare moment again, I hope to write a bonified tutorial on SSI.php and a reference on the functions.

-[Unknown]

This is very good news, expecially for those "less than versed" in php like me!  You're doing extremely great things here, and I think I can speak for everyone when I say, "Keep up the great work!"

mister

Is there any documentation that tells exactly what each function does and all the available options for those functions yet?

I think that would be very helpful when coding with SSI.
[nofollow]

Oldiesmann

Open the file in a text or code editor and look at the comments... Very useful.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

mister

I did that too, but i was wondering if there was more.
[nofollow]

pivo

When I call the "recent-poll" function by using SSI, I don't get a view of the result of the poll.

Is there a way to show the results of the poll directly after voting on it? (it's the feedback that makes the poll attractive off course!  ;D)

Tanks

Quote from: pivo on March 15, 2005, 05:56:34 AM
When I call the "recent-poll" function by using SSI, I don't get a view of the result of the poll.

Is there a way to show the results of the poll directly after voting on it? (it's the feedback that makes the poll attractive off course!  ;D)

i have been searching for an answer to this question to  :o

Anyone ?

nameless

ssi_showPoll(); might work for you. Inside the paranthesis enter the post # and the poll results will show.

I can't get ssi_recentPoll(); to show and give me the option to vote. anyone?

Skate, Snow, and Surf - SF Boarders - Bringing San Francisco Bay Area boarders together.

bloodmonkey

Hi everybody.... i like make something like this website: http://sentidourbano.com/news/julio05/50_070504.php [nofollow]
look on bottom, the article's comments, they was linked to phpbb forums... how i can do that with my smf forums? any ssi fuctions to modify to make it....  ???

( sorry about my poor english  :( )

Neol

Is it possible to show in SSI.php the photos or attachments of a post?

Elmacik

i read all three of ssi faqs but couldnt find what i am looking for..
one friend is asking to make some of the detailed statistics appear in the board index.
of course its easy to do with SSI.
but he wants the statistics appear just like in statistics page. (with the blue percentage bars)
now, how can we do?
Home of Elmacik

Advertisement: