News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Anyone can modify any post...

Started by rjscott, February 11, 2007, 09:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjscott

I just converted IPB 2.x to SMF. I've set all permissions to exactly what they were on IPB (the converter ignored all permissions as far as I can tell). I used the new convert.php and the invision22_to_smf.sql file. I'm using Local for boards.
The problem is that members can modify any post in any forum that they can see. Regardless of who posted it. This includes administrator posts. They can unlock topics too.
I really would like someone to climb in and take a look around. Please let me know if you can help.
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

You need to modify the local and global permissions for the boards.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

rjscott

Yep. I did that and I somehow fixed it. I say somehow because I really don't know exactly how 'it' fixed 'itself'.  ??? Not that I'm stupid or anything (says me) but I didn't set up the permission set on the IPB forum and I didn't have access to the guy who did. And there's the little detail of me never having done this sort of thing before. I've been playing around with SMF and the conversion for about 2 months now; completed about 10 sandbox installs and conversions. Each time I got a little better at it.
If you (or anyone else) is interested I will try to explain in more detail and give a better picture of what the perms were on the IPB forum and how they were laid out.

It seems that my biggest challenges now are:

• Getting the links in the converted posts to somehow appear again (did I destroy them when I let html code be converted to UTF-8?) Checking the attachments directory via SFTP shows it to be full of encoded 'stuff' from IPB. In the admin panel under Attachments and Avatars, clicking the Browse Files tab, the Attachments tab shows many files.
  • Getting the images/attachments in the converted posts to appear again (did I destroy these when I let html code be converted to UTF-8?)
  • Getting the converted avatars to work
  • Getting the [remaining] code in signatures to convert properly
  • Example of signature output:
    <span style='color:red'>Jim L. Snerdly</span>
    "Patrick Did It"
    <span style='color:red'>Tsuru Tono -san</span>
  • Figuring out how to make the template choice visible to everyone. I've turned the option on but I can't seem to see it on the front end.
  • Finding a template that looks and acts like IPB so my users will have an easier time migrating their brains to SMF

Feel free to drop links leading to discussions about my challenges into a reply to my post. I've seen the avatar issue discussed someplace around here...
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

1. You mean that there are no messages in the boards?
2. Do you have an example of what you mean?  Attachment names are encoded in SMF.
3. I just added support for avatars in the new converter.
4. Argg damn regular expressions.  I'll look into it.
5. Check the Theme SIte.
Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

Let me see how best to show this...
This is basically how the original post appears in IPB (no styling is shown here):

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 9 2007, 02:57 PM) *

Hey this new computer search engine that gives money to the corps seems to work.

Each search I've done today adds a penny to the tally.

www.goodsearch.com

just put in corpsvets as your charity and start searching!

Dave

Yeah, ain't it great! Also, if you click on the search button while on the corps website, you won't have to type in our name and click the verify button. Saves a step or two.
But wait!! Use this link instead: http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=833565

--------------------------

And this is how it looks in SMF after conversion (also no styling shown):

Quote from: Dave
Hey this new computer search engine that gives money to the corps seems to work.

Each search I've done today adds a penny to the tally.

just put in corpsvets as your charity and start searching!

Dave
Yeah, ain't it great! Also, if you click on the search button while on the corps website, you won't have to type in our name and click the verify button. Saves a step or two.
But wait!! Use this link instead:

--------------------------

So you can see that the links are missing.
RJ Scott

rjscott

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 12, 2007, 12:36:33 PM
1. You mean that there are no messages in the boards?
2. Do you have an example of what you mean?  Attachment names are encoded in SMF.
3. I just added support for avatars in the new converter.
4. Argg damn regular expressions.  I'll look into it.
5. Check the Theme SIte.
I think I used your latest convert.php and sql script. I noticed that depending on which template is being used, the avatars will size differently. The default template is what I'm testing with.
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

Ok I'm going to update the package now.  In regards to the avatars some themes have a max width and height for avatars.
Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

Regarding max avatar sizes. Does that mean that the automatic resizing won't work for them?
Question 2- If I run the new conversion script will it wipe out all of my data and settings? I spent 2 days setting up the permissions after the last conversions.  :'(
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

Quote from: rjscott on February 12, 2007, 03:54:52 PM
Regarding max avatar sizes. Does that mean that the automatic resizing won't work for them?
Question 2- If I run the new conversion script will it wipe out all of my data and settings? I spent 2 days setting up the permissions after the last conversions.  :'(
Resizing avatars should work.  Also running the converter again will wipe out your old data.  What you can do is backup the permissions and settings table and restore them afterwards.
Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

Unfortunately the settings for the avatars within the admin panel do not seem to have the slightest effect on avatars big or small.
If I back up my permissions and settings table will that also keep all of my members where they're supposed to be after I convert and restore?
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

No that won't keep new posts or members that registered/posted after conversion.
Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 12, 2007, 04:32:43 PM
No that won't keep new posts or members that registered/posted after conversion.
That's not a problem. I only have a few test users in there. Let me back up a little. After I ran the conversion none of the members were placed into the correct permission groups. It took me like two days to get them all set up properly (along with getting the permissions/membergroups/boards/etc all working and visible to the right members). All I care about is not losing that work. The same members will be converted again with the new script; I just want to make sure that when I load the backed up tables to the newly converted SMF, the members that were 'fixed' on SMF (and converted again) still fall into the correct places. Wow, that sounds really confusing... I'm not making much sense am I?  
RJ Scott

rjscott

PS- Can you list for me exactly which tables need to be backed up?
Thanks!
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

In that case I would back up the members, settings, permissions, board_permissions tables.  Not sure of what else.  Maybe the boards table also.
Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

I suppose I can just back up all of the tables and start adding them back one at a time.
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 12, 2007, 11:17:11 PM
Yea you can do that.
Okay cool. I'll wait until you get the new script ready.
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

I already uploaded it to the other topic.
Follow me on Twitter

rjscott

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 14, 2007, 01:30:49 AM
Okay cool. I'll go look for it. This is the one you're talking about, right? Sorry but I just want to make sure I do this correctly with the most recent files. And thanks for the great work you're doing!
* invision21_to_smf.sql (33.89 KB - downloaded 4 times.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:13:07 AM by JayBachatero »
RJ Scott

JayBachatero

Quote from: rjscott on February 14, 2007, 06:48:23 AM
Quote from: JayBachatero on February 14, 2007, 01:30:49 AM
Okay cool. I'll go look for it. This is the one you're talking about, right? Sorry but I just want to make sure I do this correctly with the most recent files. And thanks for the great work you're doing!
* invision21_to_smf.sql (33.89 KB - downloaded 4 times.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:13:07 AM by JayBachatero »
Umm I updated the 2.2 file since you said that was the one that you used.
Quote from: rjscott on February 11, 2007, 09:20:07 PM
I just converted IPB 2.x to SMF. I've set all permissions to exactly what they were on IPB (the converter ignored all permissions as far as I can tell). I used the new convert.php and the invision22_to_smf.sql file. I'm using Local for boards.
The problem is that members can modify any post in any forum that they can see. Regardless of who posted it. This includes administrator posts. They can unlock topics too.
I really would like someone to climb in and take a look around. Please let me know if you can help.

Follow me on Twitter

Advertisement: