A SMF with ALL MODS..? Can it be?

Started by Tesla Trooper, February 21, 2007, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want A SMF Moded Edition??

For Sure..! & I'll also make mine..!
6 (14.3%)
Yes, I'll download it if somebody made one..!
11 (26.2%)
No.. SMF is just good enough for me..
25 (59.5%)
I Don't Care.. I'm A VBulletin fan..!! (Not recommended:)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

bloc

Quote from: Coldfx on February 22, 2007, 04:07:08 PM
Meh, I somewhat agree.  I've had ideas that the SMF team work with a seperate version of SMF, one aimed at more "public forums".  From what I've seen, the users I work with that use SMF, add at least 10 mods per a public forum, where as ones for private added less than 5.

The mods that SMF chooses over features sometimes surprises me.  Basic ones such as control over the subject length box, and minor matters like that are what seperate vB from SMF.  The major problem is, not all SMF customers know about PHP, or have the time to learn it, but it takes minor edits to some mods out there (IE: Editing language files for seperate themes), to run properly.

Eitherway it goes, even though this is what I want, I doubt the SMF Team may be using this idea.  If you take a look back, SMF is for simplicitiy, while we're talking about advancing it to become more than the base it's at right now.  SMF is simplisitic, if you don't agree with adding mods, then move over to vB.

There is something called "too much control" too. I don't want a admin section that change everything in smallest detail - but be hell to just find the setting to adjust the size of avatars for example. :P

SMF was designed to reflect its name "Simple Machines" - as in easy to understand and operate. That will always be SMF's way, and mods only provide extras for this. Some mods will prove to be really importnant, others not..thats something every software need to consider. VB has an agenda, SMF has a slightly different one.

...There was in fact something along these lines when YabbSE was around..anyone remember YabbSE Supermod? :P A big all-in-one distribution that while was interesting enough, always had some errors here and there + an impossible task to make everything perform good(and update the components). it existed on a small site long after SMF was born, but the developers never got a version that would equal or outperform neither YabbSE itself or then newly formed SMF.

Its like stacking cake upon cake on each other, in the end you get just a big pile of cream... ;D

Master of Eternity

Alright Dude,
Me left the Work in Between
Just good as it is
Me only Will Modify it on my Site
Thanks for Opening my Eyes Friends

Peter Duggan

Quote from: alperuzi on February 23, 2007, 04:51:10 AM
don't litter your SMF installations with unneccesary code. Its not "cool". It just isn't. Just install what you need. That's why you have a packet manager. And in the long run your site will be faster, more secure, less complicated and therefore more user friendly.

Very, very well put, alperuzi! :)

Coldfx

Quote from: Bloc on February 23, 2007, 06:12:02 AM
There is something called "too much control" too. I don't want a admin section that change everything in smallest detail - but be hell to just find the setting to adjust the size of avatars for example. :P

SMF was designed to reflect its name "Simple Machines" - as in easy to understand and operate. That will always be SMF's way, and mods only provide extras for this. Some mods will prove to be really importnant, others not..thats something every software need to consider. VB has an agenda, SMF has a slightly different one.

...There was in fact something along these lines when YabbSE was around..anyone remember YabbSE Supermod? :P A big all-in-one distribution that while was interesting enough, always had some errors here and there + an impossible task to make everything perform good(and update the components). it existed on a small site long after SMF was born, but the developers never got a version that would equal or outperform neither YabbSE itself or then newly formed SMF.

Its like stacking cake upon cake on each other, in the end you get just a big pile of cream... ;D

True, that little fact I did leave out, which now I realize, was why I dropped my original ideas of SMF completing this :O

ubermensch

I don't actually like the standard SMF. I've always found it lacking in things I consider essential. Hence the huge amount of mods ;)

But, I run two forums, and my main one is modded to hell, while the other only has a few (vReportBoard etc)

Daniel15

Quote from: ubermensch on February 27, 2007, 05:01:57 AM
I don't actually like the standard SMF. I've always found it lacking in things I consider essential. Hence the huge amount of mods ;)

But, I run two forums, and my main one is modded to hell, while the other only has a few (vReportBoard etc)
Which features do you consider essential?

Note that one of our goals is to keep SMF as simple as possible (hence the name "Simple Machines" ;)). We don't bloat the system with hundreds of features that a small portion of users will use, but instead add features that the majority of users will use :).
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

nitins60

Dani, then i want to raise a question about quality (which is usually stated by SMF) of Karma system! From the birth of SMF, it never get developed, you never get atleast 20% supporting it as good (skip the SMF team). What's yr answer?  

ubermensch

Quote from: Daniel15 on February 27, 2007, 05:23:15 AM
Which features do you consider essential?

I think the vReportBoard is an absolute must, as well as the Member Colour Mod. Those are the two I *always* install. Depending on the board, I'll also install the by-user permissions, which is handy if the forum is very popular.

I'm in agreement with nitins60 too, I think the karma system is pointless. Maybe replace it with a thank system (The one similar to vBulletin's).

bloc

But here you go..you have a certain opinion on what you think is needed - but you don't get to hear the feedback as the team does, received through testers, visitors, pm, email etc. - and has been doing so over the years since SMF was born.

So while it might be pointless to you, its still( the karma) a thing many wishes to keep around. Thus its kept. But I will certainly agreed it needs some upgrade, other parts of SMF have been more developed than the karma function really.

Kindred

and to the point... I can say that I have never felt the need for, nor installed either of those mods on any system that I run.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ubermensch

Quote from: Bloc on February 27, 2007, 11:08:51 AM
But here you go..you have a certain opinion on what you think is needed - but you don't get to hear the feedback as the team does, received through testers, visitors, pm, email etc. - and has been doing so over the years since SMF was born.

So while it might be pointless to you, its still( the karma) a thing many wishes to keep around. Thus its kept. But I will certainly agreed it needs some upgrade, other parts of SMF have been more developed than the karma function really.

That's one reason I would like a proper thank mod. It's much easier to "thank" someone than to bump a very old thread (example).

But I do agree, the mods are there if people would like them. Personally, I find the standard SMF package bland and slightly annoying (I even changed the AdminCP language to fit on one line), but that's just me ;)

SMF is still the free forum of choice for me, vBulletin being the paid one.

nitins60

Quote from: Kindred on February 27, 2007, 05:36:59 PM
and to the point... I can say that I have never felt the need for, nor installed either of those mods on any system that I run.
i already mentioned one line about SMF TEAM! it's because you don't use!

Ofcourse, i don't even support thanks system, because it never gives proper thankfulness towards the poster! Anyway, Now you entered in DEVELOPMENT EDITION! still if you maintain your old karma system! It's pointless to choose SMF! Ofcourse, SMF is doing great job in many ways (like introducing editors etc...)! But my strict question s, why are you neglecting Karma system, which s essential for many forums! Here many ppl =85% SMF users (skipping once again SMF TEAM :P )

JayBachatero

The karma system is something that was left in from YaBB SE.  That's why I think it has not been improved.  Some people consider the karma system border line bloat.  BTW I run a forum and I have a few mods installed.  But different people have different needs.  So just cause you and I like something, doesn't mean that it should be a default feature.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Kindred

Why does the fact that I am on the SMF support team make my own opinion any less valid?

I run my own forums. I admin several others... and I truly believe that fewer mods is better. I have never used either of the two mods that were mentioned as "critical".
I do have a few mods installed... Visual Warning, Improved CAPTCHA...   and I am working on the PhatCalPack (an update to the calendar system).   So, it's not that no one on the SMF uses mods... we do. However, each of us has very different ideas as to what is "important"

I will say, that is the glory of the mod-package system. You can modify your own forum any way you want, and if it's a useful mod, you can release it for others to do likewise.   So why doesn't one of the people who keep complaining step up and make an improved karma mod?

I don't even use (or care to use) ANY karma system, myself...

And those opinions have no bearing on or relation to the fact that I am a member of the SMF team.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Isaac

Quote from: JayBachatero on February 27, 2007, 09:43:42 PM
But different people have different needs. 
Exactly.  And in my opinion, SMF does a good job of catering to the majority, and the MOD authors fill in the gaps.   

nitins60

Oh... I was thinki of point @you! You appeared jay!

Really, i don't know the main project manager here! If he gives a perfect reason or consider it as one of the major thing, SMF HAVE TO LOOK INTO....

The one more problem s SMF is throwing all leading mod developers into SMF developers room, where they are getting bound by SMF rules! I remembered a post about Code Monkey :P

Once again, clone him, give him to us for creating new mods! I don't know how much part he s involved in SMF DE'FAULT' development! But throw him outside, where he did a good job by creating G.A., media center, attac permiss, many basic needs.... So it's the time to Code Monkey to join once again in Mod develop team to do these things! Really SMF s very lucky to get a MONKEY like this ;D   

nitins60

Quote from: Kindred on February 27, 2007, 09:49:25 PM
Why does the fact that I am on the SMF support team make my own opinion any less valid?

I run my own forums. I admin several others... and I truly believe that fewer mods is better. I have never used either of the two mods that were mentioned as "critical".
I do have a few mods installed... Visual Warning, Improved CAPTCHA...   and I am working on the PhatCalPack (an update to the calendar system).   So, it's not that no one on the SMF uses mods... we do. However, each of us has very different ideas as to what is "important"

I will say, that is the glory of the mod-package system. You can modify your own forum any way you want, and if it's a useful mod, you can release it for others to do likewise.   So why doesn't one of the people who keep complaining step up and make an improved karma mod?

I don't even use (or care to use) ANY karma system, myself...

And those opinions have no bearing on or relation to the fact that I am a member of the SMF team.

sorry for it ya! Because the most of the SMF ppl simply skip them without a valid reason! I do observe many things!

Suppose, you are maintaini a forum @ charitable trust or some thing related to religions forums... You don't have to use Karma system. But what about forums where ppl shares ideas, projects, technology related issues, files sharing or any sort of them?.....   

perplexed

I don't like VBulletin, I don't like the look of it and I dont like the functionality, I find it to be not-user friendly.

When I was looking around for forum software I tried several and I prefer smf software.  I wouldnt have minded paying for VBulletin if I thought it was better but I dont think it is.

I post on many forums with different software, most of them on the whole are not smf, but they don't feel good to me.  Even from the beginning SMF has a better feel to it, a better look and is user friendly IMO.

I have over 30 mods installed, some are for fun, nice little extra features for the users to play with, not essential by any means.  These should not be default features.  Some of the admin mods should be default features perhaps.  The ability to ignore boards, users, visual warnings, reporting, logging mod activity, even the signature settings, smiley settings, that sort of thing should maybe be considered for the next version.  Mods that enhance what is already there, eg changing the font sizes to drop down boxes, karma descriptions etc might also be good to have, but my experience so far has been good in that I have been able to install all these extra features with the minimum of fuss. 

the karma system is something our users like, even though we have installed the shop and encourage them to try giving people something useful like shop credits, they still insist on karma lol  We give karma out for contests, and activity and various other things, and people like it.

As Kindred says above, not everyone would want to have all these extra features as default, so where do you draw the line?

nitins60

Ofcourse, even i don't need anything which s my personal! Really i love to play with many mods which are available here! Personally i have only G.A., admanagement! That's all! But i really prefer develo karma system which s not changed for years

nitins60

But i really wonder daniel is not doing a mod related to vb karma system! It's 90% similar to his shop mod, which fulfills the SM karma needs  

Advertisement: