News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Moving Server

Started by Grudge, March 11, 2004, 09:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

I'm afraid some of your files were not uploaded completely (they were just 0 bytes.)  I have taken the liberty of uploading fresh copies...

-[Unknown]

gerrymore

Ahh, now I see what the problem was.

You are an absolute superstar.

Thanks to the whole team. Great software.

G.
SMF RC1, Tiny Portal 0.75, Coppermine 1.3.3, Flashchat.

paulheu

I am not so much moving to another server, but would like to move one forum catagory on my personal site to a new site which covers (amongst other things) the topic of the specific catagory.

I guess I could move the complete forum and then edit it, but maybe there is a better way..

Oldiesmann

What did you have in mind? Moving the entire category complete with boards and posts and all the member info? If so, just install a fresh copy of SMF someplace, import your current SMF database (make sure you install this new copy of SMF on a different database) and then just edit the copied version down to what you want. Otherwise it gets really tricky.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Trekkie101

I had a problem with importing my database, i think i done it via phpMyAdmin the old paths and addresses appeared in my new copy i had to go and change them back to the new settings. Its fine now just giving a heads up for you to check.

Ben_S

Quote from: Trekkie101 on December 03, 2004, 10:39:45 AM
I had a problem with importing my database, i think i done it via phpMyAdmin the old paths and addresses appeared in my new copy i had to go and change them back to the new settings.

Thats because you never used repair_settings.php
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Trekkie101

It didnt exist when i moved host  :)

Cynthia Blue

I have a wee moving server question. I've installed a fresh board on the new server, and this weekend I hope to backup the database and restore it into the new board. Is that sufficient?  Is it okay to use the new files from a new download?  Not sure how the forums are stored.. if they are in the db, then should work. 

Of course I won't rebuild the tables in the sql backup, I'll just populate them.

Peter Duggan

So long as the old forum shares the same database structure (which it's bound to do if it's an unmodded installation with the same version number), you should be fine. But you'll still have to deal with your settings and paths.

Cynthia Blue

okay.. what settings and paths are in the DB?  I thought they were in the Settings.php file.  Which should, in theory, remain the same. It's an identical install, same release, no mods. 

Jerry

The smileys, attachments, and avatars path are in the DB, the rest are in settings.php ;) If you change server most the time unless you move from one cpanel server to another with the same username, the paths will change.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

ryanbsoftware

hmm id did al of that, and it works exept for one thing, i see no theme, its all white background with black text, blue links and some images, like the stars and menus, ext...

[Unknown]

Check all your theme URLs and paths.

-[Unknown]

ryanbsoftware

Quote from: [Unknown] on December 22, 2004, 04:49:11 AM
Check all your theme URLs and paths.

-[Unknown]

i did, it seems a few theme files didn't get copied over some how, lol.

meitzi

Quote from: Grudge on March 11, 2004, 09:20:52 AM
Here is a little document I wrote to assist people who are moving their installation from one server to another. Simply follow the steps below for an easy, stress free move!

Or... if you have an access to the shell, then connect to it for example with putty.

Go to html-root and write simple:
tar -gcvf forum.tar.gz forum (if forum is a foldername of installation)

Connect to the new server move to html-root and write:
ftp ftp.oldserver.com and log in
after that just type in:
cd html-directory (what ever that was)
get forum.tar.gz
wait for download and then
bye

Now you are back in the shell of the new server. Type in
tar -gxvf forum.tar.gz

There is all the files

Get an easy to use mysql-client called front
  Connect to old server
  go to the file menu and connect to new server. Now they are both open, so activate the old server window from windo-menu
  Choose from im-/export menu the export
  You can copy everything, or choose just the smf-data and copy that directly to the new server.

That's it.

Grudge

Cheers meitzi, you still need to do the repair_settings step though as otherwise SMF won't work when you've restored it :)
I'm only a half geek really...

meitzi

Quote from: Grudge on December 26, 2004, 04:08:42 PM
Cheers meitzi, you still need to do the repair_settings step though as otherwise SMF won't work when you've restored it :)

Right. I had a funny feeling that I forgat something :)

This is first board that has such thing, and I realized it after I allready used pico.

remstrus

Hello

I have just moved servers and all has gone well except 1 issue.

When I sign in and click on any link I am logged straight back out.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks Guy's  ;)

Peter Duggan

Quote from: remstrus on January 01, 2005, 11:24:48 AM
When I sign in and click on any link I am logged straight back out.

Is your board URL consistent (ie always with or without 'www')?

remstrus

Thanks for your reply, I have resolved the issue  :D

I was logged out due to the fact I was running the new configuration in site preview via Plesk, I guess until the domain resolves to the new server there may be a few issues.

I have now updated the DNS records and the domain resolves to the new server and all works fine   ;D :D ;) :D ;D

Thanks for a great program

Phil

Advertisement: