Request: phpBB convertor to migrate avatars

Started by packman, August 15, 2004, 06:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman

I have quite a few user uploaded avatars (as well as a reasonable number of stock avatars). Would it be possible for the convertor to migrate the avatar images to SMF and update the user records to point at the SMF copies of the images?
Chris

[Unknown]

Do you have any information on where phpBB stores these avatars?  On where it gets the default set(s)?

Do you know if this is a mod or in stock phpBB?

-[Unknown]

packman

Avatars are stock phpBB. There may be avatar mods as well, but I've not used any of those.

The avatars are stored in sub-dirs of .../phpBB2/images/avatars on my system. That's the default location, but it can be changed via the admin interface. There are two directories...one for an avatar gallery (the 'stock' avatars available to all users) and one for 'uploaded' avatars (which can only be used by the person who uploaded them, but that's not a big problem). Uploaded avatars have unique hex filenames, but if the avatars are brought across for the relevant user that's not a big problem either.

You can find the location for both directories from the phpbb_config table (records 'avatar_gallery_path' for the gallery directory and 'avatar_path' for the uploaded avatars). The gallery directory will probably contain sub-directories containing the avatar image files.

In the phpbb_users table there is a field called 'user_avatar' which gives the name of the avatar (including the gallery sub-dir if applicable). The 'user_avatar_type' field appears to be 1 for uploaded avatars and 3 for gallery avatars. I suspect that type 2 is for remote avatars and I'd guess that user_avatar contains the URL of the avatar in this case. I've not allowed remote_avatars on my forum though.

Does that help? Let me know if you need any other info.
Chris

[Unknown]

I've made a note of this and will get back to it soon.

Hopefully this will mean converted avatars next release... I'm sorry, I don't currently have time to do it earlier, and the other developers are currently working on other things as well.

Thanks a lot for all the detailed information.

-[Unknown]

packman

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 17, 2004, 05:18:55 AM
I'm sorry, I don't currently have time to do it earlier, and the other developers are currently working on other things as well.

No problem. I guessed it was pretty busy right now! If you need an early beta tester when you start work on it let me know.
Chris

Advertisement: