Coppermine site gone

Started by NukeWorker.com, September 17, 2003, 11:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Axeman

I use Coppermine and it serves its purpose i suppse  :D
would/is there ever a plan to incorporate a picture Gallery into simple machines?
A gallery adds so much to a community forum, and integrated as one properly would add so much.
the gallery would be the main port for all images, Avatars and personal pics on there profile page whichcould  also show stats on Pictures uploaded etc...

NukeWorker.com

Joachim Müller

Hi folks,

just to clarify what happened to the original coppermine site (that's the original thread subject, remember?):
QuoteGreg, the author of coppermine, has disappeared. Meanwhile, his webhosting contract has expired, so the site went down. We (some guys interessted in the continuation of the project) have formed a dev team, registered the project at sourceforge.net [nofollow] and are about to continue development on the software.
We have asked the webhost (ovh) of www.chezgreg.net [nofollow] to grant us access to the database, but they can' do that without the consent of Greg, so we have no other choice than to start from scratch and build a new site [nofollow] and community.
We need your help and support for that - please contribute and give us your feedback on the new Coppermine support board we have set up.
There's going to be support for SMF, as Jack (Coppermine dev team) will build a SMF bridge file asap.

GauGau

P.S. You may wonder why we chose to have another bbs than yabbse on the coppermine site: this is for legacy reasons, as we still hope to get our hands on a dump of the old support board at chezgreg.net [nofollow] that went down - it'll be easier to integrate the dump, that's all.
P.P.S. Some will find it comfortable to know that I've been using yabbse for quite a while on several sites and I'm still struggeling with the administration concept of this other bbs I'm supposed to use on http://coppermine.sf.net/board/ [nofollow]
Integrate your SMF install with a picture/multimedia gallery: Coppermine Photo Gallery [nofollow]

[Unknown]

If your host dropped you, the SQL is gone.  They will just delete it.

Good thing I plan on making a phpBB => SMF converter, eh? ;).

-[Unknown]

jack

The best thig is, because I'm 'Charter' here, and a Dev @ Coppermine, I intend to have a working SMF <> coppermine integration ready for the full release of SMF  8)

bostasp

Quote from: jack on September 29, 2003, 01:56:19 PM
The best thig is, because I'm 'Charter' here, and a Dev @ Coppermine, I intend to have a working SMF <> coppermine integration ready for the full release of SMF  8)

:) that sounds good.

Spaceman-Spiff

question for jack: will someone who uses my coppermine yse mod be able to upgrade to your bridge version without losing any pics/comments?
if so, then i dont need to make an SMF version of my mod...

jack

Quote from: Spaceman-Spiff on September 29, 2003, 02:08:58 PMquestion for jack: will someone who uses my coppermine yse mod be able to upgrade to your bridge version without losing any pics/comments?

Is your mod based on Coppermine 1.0?

If so, then there is a script available that will upgrade the database from 1.0 to 1.1 (aparrently it creates new 1.1 tables, leaving the 1.0 ones intact :) ) http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php?q=upgrade10#upgrade10

The only (minor) table changes between 1.1 and the dev version are handled by an upgrade script in the current version.

Quoteif so, then i dont need to make an SMF version of my mod...

That's up to you .. there are a number of things an SMF mod could achieve that really falls out of the scope of an authentication bridge. For instance, some of the things the team are working on may require entries in a user's profile that we can't easily derive by looking at the SMF database. Also, streamlining the site will be much easier for the end user with your mod. However, dealing with changes in either package is far easier with the bridge method. It would be like the situation is now with the yabbse bridge vs the yabbse mod.

The question, of course, is wether you feel the extra effort in maintining the mod is worthwhile.

In the future (not this release - & probably not for a couple of releases - of coppermine), dooing a 'deep' integration of the two will be much easier. Either because PHP will have finally gotten support for multiple name-spaces, or I will have gone and renamed every function name and global variable name with a 'cpg_' prefix ;)

Ben_S

His mod was based on v1.0 RC 3, not sure what difference that makes.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

jack

Is anyone gonna volunteer to be an upgrade guinea-pig?  ;D

Spaceman-Spiff

Quote from: jack on September 29, 2003, 03:19:28 PM
Is your mod based on Coppermine 1.0?

If so, then there is a script available that will upgrade the database from 1.0 to 1.1 (aparrently it creates new 1.1 tables, leaving the 1.0 ones intact :) ) http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php?q=upgrade10#upgrade10
i've already altererd a few tables, mainly the time/date tables, i changed them into YSE format (using time())

Quote from: jack on September 29, 2003, 03:19:28 PM
The question, of course, is wether you feel the extra effort in maintining the mod is worthwhile.
that's my biggest concern, i dont have a lot of free time lately, i'm really busy till the end of this year, not sure yet about next year...

Quote from: jack on September 29, 2003, 04:54:45 PM
Is anyone gonna volunteer to be an upgrade guinea-pig?  ;D
i can setup a test site & gallery if you need one

jack

If you have time, could you see if the upgrade script (the link is in the FAQ entry I linked to) works with your gallery mod please?

Beyond that, I'm not overly worried - once the coppermine data are in 1.1 style tables, everything should be a sinch (famous last words) 8)

dschwab9

Will this be similar to the gallery mod for YaBB SE, which adds a "gallery" to the menu and integrates coppermine into the yabb template and userbase?  If so, that will be awesome.  That's one of the things that's concerned me with upgrading to SMF, I have a fairly large coppermine gallery using the yabbse mod.

jack

Quote from: dschwab9 on September 29, 2003, 07:32:45 PMWill this be similar to the gallery mod for YaBB SE, which adds a "gallery" to the menu and integrates coppermine into the yabb template and userbase?  If so, that will be awesome.  That's one of the things that's concerned me with upgrading to SMF, I have a fairly large coppermine gallery using the yabbse mod.

NO, that's what Spaceman-Spiff's mod does. Mine (first released for YSE a couple of months ago - look on the YSE boards for the links) is for the development version of coppermine, and implements a mechanism that coppermine has to replace it's authentication and user-group management to look-up from the YSE database/cookies .. anything further is up to the end user.

Omar Bazavilvazo

Quote from: jack on September 30, 2003, 01:38:22 PM
NO, that's what Spaceman-Spiff's mod does. Mine (first released for YSE a couple of months ago - look on the YSE boards for the links) is for the development version of coppermine, and implements a mechanism that coppermine has to replace it's authentication and user-group management to look-up from the YSE database/cookies .. anything further is up to the end user.

jack's mod i think is the best way to integrate. and spaceman is greatly integrated (i had to use iframes to put gallery on my forum pages). a way to integrate (not just usersm, but visually also) would be the best way IMHO

Personal Signature:
HablaJapones
http://hablajapones.org
http://hablajapones.org/tutoriales.php

NO me manden PM para soporte o dudas
...Leo los foros como todos...

dschwab9

Hey Spaceman, do you (or anyone else) have plans to port the gallery mod to SMF?

jack

dschwab9

Quote from: jack on October 01, 2003, 05:34:54 AM

But then when I asked, you said it wasn't really an integration, just used the YaBB authentication  :-X  So what exactly does it do?  ???  I want to have the gallery integrated into the forum's template.  :D

Or is that going to be really simple using Unknown's Theme/Template system?  ;D

jack

The best way of doing it would be to make your coppermine theme look the same as your SMF theme. (not too difficult).

dschwab9

What about putting the SMF menu and stuff on it?  Would you have to use SSI.php for that?  Guess that would work, but it's just not as clean.

Maybe I'll try to port the mod if Spaceman decides not to.  Might be beyond my php abilities, tho  :(

Advertisement: