I wanna make my own forum but....

Started by -BebePeys-, March 03, 2007, 08:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-BebePeys-

I wanna make my own forum but I dont know where to start. Can somebody assist me? Thanks a lot on those people who will respond.

fallen_angel

First step - click the "support" tab at the top of this forum. In the support section you'll find the online manual which explains all the features of SMF and a full installation guide, along with a FAQs section that answers the most common questions about using SMF.

Set up a MySQL database on your domain using whatever front-end tool your control panel has. Remember the name of the database, the name of the database user, and the password - you'll need those when you install SMF.

Next, go to the downloads section, and download either the files for the latest version of SMF - if you're starting from scratch you'll need the full install version. Download that to your computer, unzip the zip file, and then upload to your server using ftp, keeping the same file structure. In your browser go to the directory where you've uploaded the files to, and run install.php - e.g. www.yourdomain.com/forum/install.php. The installer walks you through all the steps.

If your server will support the webinstall function, even better, use Webinstall...

Quote from the downloads page...
QuoteWebinstall is a script that allows you to obtain a SMF package easily and without having to deal with large, compressed files.
Webinstall is now the primary and recommended way to download packages. Simply download the webinstall script, upload the file, point your browser to the script, follow the easy directions, and then sit back and enjoy.
MasterWeb & the IB Geek Girls: Outback behind the bikesheds - talking geek
ecanus.net: smileys and *stuff*
-- "You don't need eyes to see - you need vision" ~ Maxi Jazz --

-BebePeys-

Quote from: fallen_angel on March 03, 2007, 09:06:13 PM
First step - click the "support" tab at the top of this forum. In the support section you'll find the online manual which explains all the features of SMF and a full installation guide, along with a FAQs section that answers the most common questions about using SMF.

Set up a MySQL database on your domain using whatever front-end tool your control panel has. Remember the name of the database, the name of the database user, and the password - you'll need those when you install SMF.

Next, go to the downloads section, and download either the files for the latest version of SMF - if you're starting from scratch you'll need the full install version. Download that to your computer, unzip the zip file, and then upload to your server using ftp, keeping the same file structure. In your browser go to the directory where you've uploaded the files to, and run install.php - e.g. www.yourdomain.com/forum/install.php. The installer walks you through all the steps.

If your server will support the webinstall function, even better, use Webinstall...

Quote from the downloads page...
QuoteWebinstall is a script that allows you to obtain a SMF package easily and without having to deal with large, compressed files.
Webinstall is now the primary and recommended way to download packages. Simply download the webinstall script, upload the file, point your browser to the script, follow the easy directions, and then sit back and enjoy.
Does that mean I need a Domain and MySQL Database, right? I'm not that familiarized yet with the techie terminologies. Sorry.

G6™

If you dont want to have a forum on your local machine to just play with you need to have a domain (a name you type in to get to the site, A host, where you place your site and all the files and content.)
If you buy some space on a host (there are a LOT of diffrent hosts and diffrent prices) you get to choose a name for your site, you get the space you need, and they also provide the sql database you need.
So if you buy a place on an host you get about all you need, then it's more or less just download the full package of SMF or use the webinstalled from here and type in the account values you got from your host :)

-BebePeys-

i really tried everything i could but i always got stuck with the FTP Connection Information

Server:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Install Path:

I really dont know what to do. Does anyone know on how to figure this out?

fallen_angel

If you've got hosting for your site/forum, normally all the information about your username, passwords and paths will come in your "welcome email" from the hosting company. Often hosting control panel and ftp usernames and passwords are the same.

The ftp path's usually something like ftp.yourdomain.com (replace the bit after ftp with whatever your domain is). Usually during the install process though the installer will 'guess' at the correct values for paths and such like, and usually it's about right.

Check you connection information from your host though for your username and password - that'll give you all the information you need more than likely.
MasterWeb & the IB Geek Girls: Outback behind the bikesheds - talking geek
ecanus.net: smileys and *stuff*
-- "You don't need eyes to see - you need vision" ~ Maxi Jazz --

-BebePeys-

Peter Duggan

Have you actually arranged any hosting yet?

-BebePeys-

Quote from: Peter Duggan on March 04, 2007, 12:37:08 PM
Have you actually arranged any hosting yet?
Yes, and I don't know what am I doing wrong. I read the instructions in the online manually carefully and thoroughly

G6™

If you have a host, and you have the accounts thats needed to database, ftp or and Cpanel, send them in a PM and i will help you install SMF.

-BebePeys-

Quote from: Mrs G6 on March 04, 2007, 02:18:34 PM
If you have a host, and you have the accounts thats needed to database, ftp or and Cpanel, send them in a PM and i will help you install SMF.

I sent u a PM and I don't know if you got it

thetermanator

I made a video that shows how to install SMF with Cpanel X.

YouTube
hxxp:www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzhqIJSJfg [nonactive]

Google Video
hxxp:video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5214842120410307772&hl=en-CA [nonactive]
hxxp:www.gameservers.com/?ref=1608693 [nonactive]

-BebePeys-

Quote from: thetermanator on March 05, 2007, 04:02:24 PM
I made a video that shows how to install SMF with Cpanel X.

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rzhqIJSJfg

Google Video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5214842120410307772&hl=en-CA
Well thanks. I already have a forum. The only problem I have now is installing the themes. Some people told me to download it but not to unzip it. And I did but when I use it, my forum goes all plain white and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Advertisement: