News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

View Any Topic permission

Started by Feldon, March 09, 2007, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feldon

Link to Mod

The View Any Topic Permission Mod adds an additional permission that can be applied to any board.  When enabled, the board operates as normal.  When disabled, the user is unable to view any topics within the board except topics they started, or topics that have been set as Sticky.

Topics are hidden when viewing the board, 'Members Last Posts', 'Recent Posts', board 'Statistics', "Unread posts since last visist", when using the 'Search' page and when viewing the RSS feed.  Topics are blocked if a member attempts to directly access them.

Generally, the intent is that 'Regular Members' would be only able to view their own posts.  However, at the same time, any administrators, moderators, or any other select group can be granted access to view all posts within the board.  This enables the board to act as a 'Personal Support Helpdesk' page, where a regular user can post a question, and a priviledged member can respond.  It could also be useful in a recruitment forum, where new users can post and moderators can respond, while restricting new users from seeing other new user posts.

The topic/post counts by board have been altered.  However, total topic/post counts will still be displayed in the Statistics page.  As such, it is recommend that post counting be disabled for any board affected by the permission.

Feldon

Mod Useage

Go to Admin->Permissions.  Click Settings.  Ensure the "Enable advanced by-board permissions" is checked.
Go to Admin->Permissions.  Click Permissions by Board.  Select the "Local" option next to the board of your choice.  Select the board name.  Hit the Modify button for the user group whose permissions you want to alter.  Underneath the Topics category there should be a new permission called "View Any Topic".

When enabled (the default setting), the board will act as normal.  That is, the user group can 'view any topic'.
When disabled, users in that group will only be able to see topics in that board that they started (i.e. their own topics), or topics that have been stickied.

As an example.  I have a forum that contains two boards, General and Personal Support.  The General board acts as normal, while the Personal Support board utilizes the permission.  Regular Members have the View Any Topic permission disabled within the Personal Support board.  Moderators, Administrators, and the "Problem Solvers" user group have the permission enabled in all boards.  This ensures that Regular Members can only see their own topics within the Personal Support board, while the other user groups can see and respond to all topics.

Hope that helps!

char39

I wonder if this is what I have been looking for.  This is a post I made yesterday http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=156983.msg1001270#msg1001270  can you please tell me if this is what you have?

Thank you

Ryuoh

This mod is just about perfect it is just what i needed but there is a hole in it. The rss feed from your smf site will still contain the post even if the posts in that certain board are not readable.

Feldon

Quote from: Tory on March 11, 2007, 09:49:15 AM
I wonder if this is what I have been looking for.  This is a post I made yesterday http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=156983.msg1001270#msg1001270  can you please tell me if this is what you have?

Thank you

What you want is this... http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=236
It has not yet been updated for 1.1.2.  It lets users see the board, but not go inside to see the posts.

Feldon

Version 1.5 is released to fix the RSS feed bug.  Thanks for catching that.  There are just SOOO many spots where posts are made visible.

EDIT:  As a reminder, the uninstall script of the old version will remove the permission.  Hence, when you install the new version you will need to re-assign the permission to the various user groups/boards.

joh87swe

I want so that guests can view a forum and its topics but when the guest click on a topic to enter into it on a that board, he can't see it and is asked to login or register.
Can this mod be something for me?

Feldon

Quote from: joh87swe on March 26, 2007, 06:53:51 PM
I want so that guests can view a forum and its topics but when the guest click on a topic to enter into it on a that board, he can't see it and is asked to login or register.
Can this mod be something for me?

My mod wouldn't let the guests see any topics but their own.

What I think you want is the Read Topic Permission mod.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=231

The Hide Board mod would allow guest to see that a board exists, but not actually enter it.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=236

webs86

Hi... I have a problem to install this mod. The package manager send me a parse error in the modifications (you can view the detail on attach screenshot).

I have test it on smf 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

bye bye

Feldon

Unfortunately, there were changes to the code between 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 that required changes to my mod; hence, my mod only works for SMF 1.1.2.

Make sure you have a clean install of SMF 1.1.2.  Then try my mod again.

webs86

My installation in new and I havn't jet added any forum then the default. My problem is during the installation. Now I probe an manual installation.

Bye bye

brogers

This mod seems to be what I want in order to set up a private help board in my forum.

I installed the mod (version 1.5) without any errors.  However, underneath the Topics category in Permissions there is a new checked check box with a blank description.  I.e.  the "View Any Topic" description does not display.  Any ideas?

I am using SMF version 1.1.2

Ryuoh

check the Modifications.english.php in the templates/default/language folder sometimes this package will add the code for languages after the ?> closing php statement just change it so ?> is at the very end

Feldon

Quote from: Ryuoh on April 10, 2007, 06:42:12 AM
check the Modifications.english.php in the templates/default/language folder sometimes this package will add the code for languages after the ?> closing php statement just change it so ?> is at the very end.

Good find Ryuoh.  It looks like the <search position="end"> install command is a little buggy.  And by buggy I mean that it has caused similar problems for other mod-makers as well.  In addition to not always installing correctly, it also doesn't uninstall properly.  The result is if you've uninstalled my mod, the //View Any Topic lines in your Modifications.english.php file will still be there.

I've replaced it with an equivalent <search position="replace"> command and re-released as version 1.6.

Ryuoh

i was wondering if this protected against using Request notification on new topics. Though its not really that important because i disable that for people that are not able to view topics anyway

brogers

Thanks Ryuoh and Feldon.  I have located the Modifications.english.php in the Themes/default/language folder.  However I'm not sure what needs to be changed.  The contents of the file is:

<?php
// Version: 1.1; Modifications

// View Own Topic Permission mod
$txt['permissionname_view_any_topic'] = 'View any topic';
$txt['permissionhelp_view_any_topic'] = 'Allow users to view any topic.  Users can always see their own topics or topics set as sticky.';

?>

What am I missing?  Also, I was not able to locate version 1.6 of this mod.

Feldon

Quote from: Ryuoh on April 10, 2007, 05:29:49 PM
i was wondering if this protected against using Request notification on new topics. Though its not really that important because i disable that for people that are not able to view topics anyway

Hehe, you keep finding problems! Good work.  :P

My mod does not protect against Topic/Board Notifications nor Announcements.  I looked to see if I could work around them but these are a little too complicated.  I think its simpler for me to recommend that you ensure these features are disabled for boards affected by the permission.

Feldon

Quote from: brogers on April 10, 2007, 06:39:09 PM
Thanks Ryuoh and Feldon.  I have located the Modifications.english.php in the Themes/default/language folder.  However I'm not sure what needs to be changed.  The contents of the file is:

<?php
// Version: 1.1; Modifications

// View Own Topic Permission mod
$txt['permissionname_view_any_topic'] = 'View any topic';
$txt['permissionhelp_view_any_topic'] = 'Allow users to view any topic.  Users can always see their own topics or topics set as sticky.';

?>

What am I missing?  Also, I was not able to locate version 1.6 of this mod.

All downloads of my mod are now located here: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=687  Version 1.6 is definitely there now if it wasn't before.

That being said, your Modifications.english.php file looks fine.  Is your board in another language besides English?  If it is, its possible there's a Modifications.<language>.php file that needs to be updated.  To be honest, I'm not really sure how it works with other languages.

If your board is an English board then I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer.  Anyone else have suggestions?

brogers

Quote from: Feldon on April 10, 2007, 06:51:20 PM

. . . Is your board in another language besides English?&nbsp; If it is, its possible there's a Modifications.<language>.php file that needs to be updated.&nbsp; To be honest, I'm not really sure how it works with other languages.

If your board is an English board then I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer.&nbsp; Anyone else have suggestions?

Yes, my board is in English.

And, thanks for the location of the 1.6 update.

Post Update:

I applied the 1.6 version of the mod and the behavior is the same as with version 1.5 (no description given for the new permissions check box).

Feldon

Sorry, I didn't notice your update until today.

What version of SMF are you running?  The mod is only compatible with 1.1.2.  There were changes between some of the more recent versions that affected my mod.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Advertisement: