News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Print Selected

Started by BigMike, March 12, 2007, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

I searched around for a while and couldn't find anything on this.

Hopefully this is not a default feature, as I tried my best to make it happen and couldn't.

I would like to see a feature that allows a user to print any selected post in a thread.

For instance, if I am viewing a thread that has 10 posts, I would like to print post #3, 6, and 9.

Otherwise, I have to compile the html to print, and then edit the file to remove the posts I don't need to print.

;D

helmar

Bump. Printpage is nice, but if you only want one particular post, then it's too much work to select it. I am all for a feature addition that allows the printing of a particular post.

Helmar

IchBin™

It's too much work to highlight text and to select ctrl+shft+p ? Seems easier to do that than to create a button you have to click in order to send you to a different page where it has to get formatted. Only to have to click print on that page.

I can see that you need this since you don't like to use your mouse and keyboard in this way, so yes I agree it's a great mod for you to make. Or have someone else make. :)
IchBin™        TinyPortal

BigMike

IchBin™

Thank you for your reply.

Quote from: IchBin™ on April 10, 2012, 01:19:48 PM
It's too much work to highlight text and to select ctrl+shft+p ?

No browser I know of allows one to make multiple selections.

EDIT: Sorry, Firefox (and I'm sure others) can do this using Ctrl on a PC.

Quote from: BigMike on March 12, 2007, 02:07:13 PM
For instance, if I am viewing a thread that has 10 posts, I would like to print post #3, 6, and 9.

Your scenario would print posts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 instead of only printing posts 3, 6, and 9.

EDIT: This can be done using Ctrl to make multiple selections. But it's certainly not as easy or user intuitive as a built-in feature. Examples I can easily think of are: Scrolling all over the place, trying to remember what you highlighted, wondering if you highlighted the right sections that are out of the current viewport, accidentally highlighting the side of a table or some unnecessary section of the forum thus requiring one to clear the highlight, scroll all the way back up, and then start highlighting all over again, et cetera.

What I have done to achieve this functionality is an add-on in Firefox called "Delete or Load Selection" (source: https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/index-en.html#delsel, called "DELETE OR OPEN SELECTION" on his website lol). This gives Firefox the power to remove any highlight-able selections of a webpage from the viewport, thus removing it from the output to the printer as well.

Ideally, it would be great to simply checkmark the boxes to the right of individual posts that I'd like to print (similar to checkmarking individual posts for SMF's built-in "Delect Selected" feature) and have a link above my Quick Reply box right next to the "Delete Selected" link that would simply say "Print Selected". I envision a new page generated by action=printpage that only shows the checkmarked (or Selected) topics in an easy to print layout.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Regards,
BigMike

IchBin™

That makes a lot more sense now, and would be great to see someone make a mod for that to see how well people would use it.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: