News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Tags for the topics

Started by MrPrise, March 14, 2007, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPrise

I have a forum which has a few topics and growing. I wanted to clean them up so I started to reorganize them into subtopics. While I did this I had an idea. It would be easier and more natural to organize the topics if I can tag them like the taxonomy works in Drupal. I think it is not too hard to implement that, maybe the taxonomy of Drupal can be serve as a start, but Im not an SMF guru and I dont know the internal of SMF, so maybe there are some issues, regarding performance and so on.
Here is how that should works: from the admin panel I can add words for the topics in unlimited numbers (of course a few of them should be  enough) and if I enable the members also suggest words but the admin has to accept them. After that I can get these words in a list/tree and if I click any of them I got the list of topics which have that word assigned. The words can be arranged in hierarchy like a tree. Basically that list would be a outstretched list of all the topics / subtopics but has one more advantage: a single topic could be in more than on "topic" / tag. I think this would make easier to browse a forum even if it has a lots of topics. I think it would be an exception to choose between to use the old and this method or both. Using these tags displaying the topics in the old way also possible, if we use the tags as the topics. Of course there will be topics displayed more than one places. If the tags "know" how many times they got clicks we can even generate a tag cloud like thingy from them and we can see which topics are popular.
What do you think?

KGIII

See the mod site. Click on downloads and then on modifications. Much of what you want isn't there - I shall be honest - but part of it is.  

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Advertisement: