Delete logs of inactive members

Started by Spaceman-Spiff, August 26, 2004, 03:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman-Spiff

Might be nice to have a function for this. So instead of deleting a member, we only delete his/her logs (log_topics, log_boards, log_mark_read, etc). And this will help trim the database. Maybe we can even delete the instant messages.

I think this is slightly better than deleting members, so we can still keep their records/profiles.

thoughts? comments?

Amacythe

I wouldn't mind this, but add to your list the semi-deleted members pm's both inbox and outbox.

dschwab9

That would be annoying if they decide to log back in though.  And that stuff takes up very little space.

[Unknown]

Sorry, Mr. GoingToHateThisForum, but because you were away for 3 days and the admin got jumpy, everything you have ever cared about on this forum is now gone.  All gone.  Even your post count.  Yep, gone.

We don't hate you though; just think, if this feature weren't here you would have been deleted completely!

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 28, 2004, 02:26:47 AM
Sorry, Mr. GoingToHateThisForum, but because you were away for 3 days and the admin got jumpy, everything you have ever cared about on this forum is now gone.  All gone.  Even your post count.  Yep, gone.

We don't hate you though; just think, if this feature weren't here you would have been deleted completely!

-[Unknown]

I think a feature where you delete members who never activated their accounts would be cool.

[Unknown]

Admin -> Registration Management -> Awaiting Activation -> Check All -> Delete.

-[Unknown]

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 28, 2004, 02:39:00 AM
Admin -> Registration Management -> Awaiting Activation -> Check All -> Delete.

-[Unknown]

cool! thanks!

Spaceman-Spiff

Quote from: dschwab9 on August 27, 2004, 09:29:11 AM
That would be annoying if they decide to log back in though. And that stuff takes up very little space.

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 28, 2004, 02:26:47 AM
Sorry, Mr. GoingToHateThisForum, but because you were away for 3 days and the admin got jumpy, everything you have ever cared about on this forum is now gone. All gone. Even your post count. Yep, gone.

-[Unknown]

Of course I wont delete logs of inactive members in 3 days ::).

I do some forum cleanup about every 3-6 months. One of the things I do is delete inactive users in 150 days (but I send mass emails to all of those members one week beforehand telling that if they don't do some activity in the forum within a week, their accounts will be deleted.

However, after deleting these members, I found sometimes it's good to keep the records of those old members. Like when reading old topics, many of the posters became Guests, which don't look that nice.

Anyway, I'll probably code my own little maintenance tool script to do this, but I just thought that it will be a nice feature for SMF. I'm not asking for an automated feature, but more like an add-on for the current Delete Member feature.
Basically it will use the deleteMembers function, but without the first 2 queries.

[Unknown]

Gonna make it a package/mod?

-[Unknown]

Spaceman-Spiff

I made it a stand alone tool before (with the use of Settings.php) and it was for YaBB SE. Not sure yet what I will do for SMF.

Advertisement: