automatic image resize based on max allowed width and length

Started by MinasC, March 16, 2007, 12:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinasC

hi there !!!

i was wondering if there could be a mod for seting maximum width and height to pictures posted on smf ! i searched for sth like that but didn't find any . it could be set to resize pics uploaded or posted to a max width/length in order to get rid of the horizontal scroolbar arrearing when a picture is too large !

thnx in advance !

Daniel Marquard

Are you referring to images posted using the [img][/img] tags?

MinasC

NEMINI

you mean:
admin> features & options > Max width of posted pictures (0 = disable)
admin> features & options > Max height of posted pictures (0 = disable)
???
signatures are boring.

MinasC

well , that doesn't help ! i put max width 450 but the large images remained as they were (i'm talking about images loaded from an external server such as imageshack.com) !

maybe could change the [ img][/img] posted every time someone hits the image button , into [ img width=450][/img] , but that would also enlarge the small images (plus i don't know how to do it ... just thinking loud)

Kindred

That certainly WILL help. It will do exactly what you are asking.

However, the settings in admin will only resize images posted AFTER the setting was made, but it will do ALL images, even those linked from an external source (which, BTW is technically bandwidth theft)

It will not affect those images already posted.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MinasC

then that will be the answer , thnx a lot !!!

(about the external source ... it's not a matter of bandwidth for me - have plenty - but a matter of available disk space - don't have much ! that is also the reason i cannot install smf gallery)

Kindred

you missed the point...

when you have people link images to extrenal sources, it's not YOUR bandwidth they eat, but the SOURCE'S bandwidth...

i.e., If you use the img tags to post and image from my site, then you are actually using MY bandwidth to acquire and display that image with every view of that message,
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MinasC

you're right , i didn't know that , thnx for telling (thankfully sites such as imageshack where created to host images so there is no matter of "stealing" their bandwidth , right ?)

Kindred

I believe the purpose of imageshack is to host images like that...  correct.
Слaва
Украинi

MinasC

chec
Quote from: Kindred on March 16, 2007, 02:55:43 PM
That certainly WILL help. It will do exactly what you are asking.

However, the settings in admin will only resize images posted AFTER the setting was made, but it will do ALL images, even those linked from an external source (which, BTW is technically bandwidth theft)

It will not affect those images already posted.

checked and working , so case closed ! thnx for your help !!!

MinasC

now that i think of it i have the same problem with image signatures ! is there a way to set maximum width for signatures too ?

NEMINI

signatures are boring.

Kindred

or in the CSS, you can set a max height/width for signatures, with an auto scroll bar if the sig is too big...
Слaва
Украинi

MinasC

Lew Cipher

Try using the board censor to change [ img] to [ img width=450]. The problem is that it will also stretch each pic to that width.

:-\
Version: SMF 1.1.2
Many mods installed

Kindred

lew...

once again, you don't need to do that. Specifying a maximum size in the smf admin will handle it just fine
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: