News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Shared Forum Mod -- latest version: 0.2.5.4

Started by Sarge, March 17, 2007, 02:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarge

I'm writing a Shared Forum Mod for SMF and SMF+TinyPortal. I got the original idea and code from Goosemoose. Read about his Shared Forum Mod for Joomla+SMF to get a general idea about what this mod does.

Since some users (including me) have asked for a SMF and/or SMF+TP version, I'm writing a mod for them. This topic is: 1) to discuss about what you would expect from it, and 2) to ask and give support for the latest version.

Please note that my mod is currently in beta. Use at your own risk. That said, I try to help with every difficulty you might experience in installing, configuring and using it.

You can see it in action at http://www.albwebmaster.com/index.php

The latest version for SMF 1.1.x only (no SMF 2.0 or TinyPortal support) is 0.2.5.4 and can be downloaded from: http://www.albwebmaster.com/index.php?topic=40.0
The latest version for SMF 1.1.x and TinyPortal 0.9.8.3 is 0.2.5.3 and can be downloaded from:
http://www.albwebmaster.com/index.php?topic=27.0

Technical info:
My version uses a session variable, instead of a URL parameter, to preserve the current forum name across a user's session. This way, it's not necessary to put the forum name in every URL. In fact, the only URLs (so far) where the forum name is present are those when switching forums (index.php?action=forumname) and when clicking on categories (index.php?action=forumname#cat_id); in all other cases, the URLs are the same as those of an unmodified SMF or SMF+TP forum.

(Note that this post will be updated often.)

Currently testing with:
SMF 1.1.8
TinyPortal 0.9.8.3

Already done:
+ Create an installable base mod package, updated after every feature completion.
+ Show categories for the current forum only.
+ Remove the FORUM button added by TP to the template.
+ Modify the linktree in Load.php to display current forum name.
+ Create a mod control panel to set up forums.
+ Modify Recent.php to display recent topics, unread topics and unread replies for the current forum only.
+ Remove base forum name and URL ($scripturl) from linktree.
+ Set a default forum (configurable in mod's admin panel).
+ Add code to check for forum name (and select the proper one if it's missing) when a user accesses a board or topic directly (without choosing a forum first).
+ Simplify code by putting current forum settings in the $context array. This makes it easier to work with templates.
+ Modify page titles according to current forum.
+ Add support for forum-specific themes, i.e. each forum can have its own theme.
+ Add jumpto (drop-down) menus for forums and fix category links in original "Jump To:" menus.
+ Add mod strings in Modifications.english.php.
+ Add several options in mod's control panel.
+ Sanitize input data.
+ Change board name near the top of page to current forum name.
+ Add support for the Babylon and Classic themes.
+ Add a setting to turn the mod on or off.
+ Add support for forum-specific header logos, i.e. each forum can have its own logo.
+ Add support for board-specific themes.
+ Add support for forum-specific languages.
+ Add a dropdown menu button for forums.
+ Start separate mod development branches for SMF and SMF+TP.
+ Bug fixes.

To do (in no particular order):
- Modify TP's Recent block to filter recent topics.
- Add support for forum-specific TinyPortal articles.
- Add forum-specific support for other mods.
- Fully conform to Coding Guidelines, Modification Approval Guidelines and Mod Team Coding Guidelines.
- Submit the mod for approval.

In the future - to do (in no particular order):
- Add more options that can also be set based on membergroup, subforum and/or permissions -- these may include theme display, banners, ads etc.

Ideas, suggestions, comments etc. are always welcome!

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Gwydion Frost

I'd be willing to beta this with you.

Sarge

Quote from: Gwydion Frost on March 21, 2007, 12:08:49 AM
I'd be willing to beta this with you.

I'm currently testing my mod on both localhost and an online site I've set up for testing purposes. When I'm comfortable releasing a beta, I'll let you know here.

Do you have any idea or comment about the features or maybe about something I've missed out?

Gwydion Frost

Quote from: Sarge on March 17, 2007, 02:58:49 AM
Currently testing with:
SMF 1.1.2
TinyPortal 0.9.7.1

Tiny Portal is up to 0.9.8.3 now.

QuoteAlready done:
+ Create an installable base mod package, updated after every feature completion.
+ Show categories for the current forum only.

So far so good.

Quote+ Remove the forum action added by TP.

Clarify.

Quote+ Modify the linktree in Load.php to display current forum name.

Good.

Quote+ Create a mod admin panel to set up forums.

Clarify (because SMF already has one...so what exactly makes yours different?).

Quote+ Modify Recent.php to display recent topics, unread topics and unread replies for the current forum only.

Good.

QuoteTo do (in no particular order):
- Add code to check for forum name (and select the proper one if it's missing) when a user accesses a board or topic directly (without choosing a forum first).

Good.

Quote- Modify TP's Recent Posts block to filter recent topics.

By forum (single forum listing)? By forum (multiple forums listing)? By forum (chosen forum listing)? All of the above? Clarify.

Quote- Add an option to modify page titles according to current forum name.
- Add an option to remove base forum name and URL ($scripturl) from linktree.

Good.

Quote- Start separate mod development branches for SMF and SMF+TP.

Good, and not good. I use TP myself, and I am glad you are taking it into consideration. I think that the 'two branches' technically could be covered with only one version, depending upon which branch you really think you need to tweak. I mean in theory, the only hurdle you need to figure out is how to make Tiny Portal think the same thing that SMF and the users do... its sorta running very separate forums. The big trick is making SMF easily think it.

Quote- Find a way to insert forum buttons in the template -- any suggestions???

Yeah, Take that "Jump to:" dropmenu and make it TWO. Clean. Simple.

You can pick from one side or the other.

Quote- Add mod strings in Modifications.template.php.
- Fully conform to Coding Guidelines, Modification Approval Guidelines and Mod Team Coding Guidelines.

Yeah. Good. ;)

QuoteIdeas, suggestions, comments etc. are always welcome!

Absorbing a multi-profile mod into this concept would make it much more fun. ;)

Sarge

Quote from: Gwydion Frost on March 21, 2007, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: Sarge on March 17, 2007, 02:58:49 AM
Currently testing with:
SMF 1.1.2
TinyPortal 0.9.7.1

Tiny Portal is up to 0.9.8.3 now.

EDIT: I just did a quick test; my mod installs fine in TP 0.9.8.3.

Quote+ Remove the forum action added by TP.

Clarify.

Now it seems to me that this is not even necessary. What actually needs to be done is to remove the FORUM button in template, because it won't be needed anymore, and replace it with a "Jump To:" menu or something.

Quote+ Create a mod admin panel to set up forums.

Clarify (because SMF already has one...so what exactly makes yours different?).

Not an SMF admin panel replacement, no. :) Just an additional tab in Features and Options, just like Custom Actions Mod. Click on the image below:

By forum (single forum listing)? By forum (multiple forums listing)? By forum (chosen forum listing)? All of the above? Clarify.

Good question. I'm thinking of displaying recent posts in TP's Recent Posts block:
- when in homepage, for all forums;
- when inside a forum, for this forum only.

What do you think?

Quote- Start separate mod development branches for SMF and SMF+TP.

Good, and not good. I use TP myself, and I am glad you are taking it into consideration. I think that the 'two branches' technically could be covered with only one version, depending upon which branch you really think you need to tweak. I mean in theory, the only hurdle you need to figure out is how to make Tiny Portal think the same thing that SMF and the users do... its sorta running very separate forums. The big trick is making SMF easily think it.

The way I see it, SMF needs fewer modifications than SMF+TP. It might be required for the mod to automatically detect if TP is installed, and modify TP code accordingly. I don't think there's a way to test for this condition in the modification.xml install file, is there?

Quote- Find a way to insert forum buttons in the template -- any suggestions???

Yeah, Take that "Jump to:" dropmenu and make it TWO. Clean. Simple.

Great idea! Where in the template do you suggest the drop-down menu should be placed?

QuoteIdeas, suggestions, comments etc. are always welcome!

Please clarify. :)

Sarge

I set up a test site with what I've done so far:

http://www.albwebmaster.com/

The FORUM button is removed by the mod. On the right side you can see the Forums block, listing General and IT.

The "General" forum has 1 category.
The "IT" forum has 2 categories.

There's also a 4th category, not included in any of the 2 forums, so of course it stays hidden... or so I think.

I'd really like some feedback. :)

EDIT: Have a look at the linktree (and page title when you switch to a forum). Nice, isn't it?

Gwydion Frost

Quote from: Sarge on March 21, 2007, 01:52:14 PM
I know. I'll test my mod with the latest TP version too.

I had no doubts... ;)

QuoteNow it seems to me that this is not even necessary. What actually needs to be done is to remove the FORUM button in template, because it won't be needed anymore, and replace it with a "Jump To:" menu or something.

I wouldn't even bother to touch this at all. This is simply a "load current BoardIndex" button.

QuoteNot an SMF admin panel replacement, no. :) Just an additional tab in Features and Options, just like Custom Actions Mod. Click on the image below:

Good.

Good question. I'm thinking of displaying recent posts in TP's Recent Posts block:
- when in homepage, for all forums;
- when inside a forum, for this forum only.

What do you think?

I think making it "check" buttons, and leaving the option in the Admin's hands is the best idea, so they can choose what the Recent Posts block will display, fitting their own needs.

QuoteThe way I see it, SMF needs fewer modifications than SMF+TP. It might be required for the mod to automatically detect if TP is installed, and modify TP code accordingly. I don't think there's a way to test for this condition in the modification.xml install file, is there?

Well, if it detects for a certain table or file that TP uniquely installs, and runs its mods based on that parameter alone...? (If TPortal_index.php is found, do this, else do this... etc etc.) I dunno... I am good at thinking up ways for the software to do neat new tricks using apps it already has, but dunno enough coding to save my own life (proverbial old dog, 'nuff said).

QuoteGreat idea! Where in the template do you suggest the drop-down menu should be placed?

It should read on that bar: Jump to: [forum dropdown list] [current forum board dropdown list][go]

Please clarify. :)

Well, from an RPG site point of view, being Bob from Ohio on the OOC forum, Orgus the Destroyer in the IC World forum, and Blue Sage, Creative Director, on the Compendium forum.

One log-in. Board ID identifies Profile ID to post under, by permissions. ;)

Sarge

Quote from: Gwydion Frost on March 22, 2007, 01:50:28 AM

I had no doubts... ;)

I need this mod for my site too. Of course I have to test! :D

The mod installs successfully on TP 0.9.8.3. I'll test further, but I don't think the behavior will be any different. We'll see.

I wouldn't even bother to touch this at all. This is simply a "load current BoardIndex" button.

You're right. Might as well leave it there as it is. I removed the FORUM button, though.

Good.

Glad you like it. :) Of course, I'm going to add more options there.

I think making it "check" buttons, and leaving the option in the Admin's hands is the best idea, so they can choose what the Recent Posts block will display, fitting their own needs.

Yes, that makes sense. What do you think should the settings be and how should they behave?

Well, if it detects for a certain table or file that TP uniquely installs, and runs its mods based on that parameter alone...? (If TPortal_index.php is found, do this, else do this... etc etc.) I dunno... I am good at thinking up ways for the software to do neat new tricks using apps it already has, but dunno enough coding to save my own life (proverbial old dog, 'nuff said).

That would require a .php instead of an .xml install file, I'm afraid. I will make one, but I want to concentrate on getting the current features finished first. You know, I can always make a version 1.1, 2.0 etc... Good suggestion, though; I'll keep it in mind.

It should read on that bar: Jump to: [forum dropdown list] [current forum board dropdown list][go]

Yes, that's logical. I was actually coding that before I read your post. ;)

Well, from an RPG site point of view, being Bob from Ohio on the OOC forum, Orgus the Destroyer in the IC World forum, and Blue Sage, Creative Director, on the Compendium forum.

One log-in. Board ID identifies Profile ID to post under, by permissions. ;)

I think it has to wait. It would be a MAJOR feature, but it may require a lot of coding. However, I'll consider adding that option in future.

Be sure to check the mod online meanwhile:
http://www.albwebmaster.com/

DenDen60

Well this is a great mod. This is what I need.

I prensently have around 10 instances of SMF-TP running. They alll have the same look and feel and are link together by one user database.

A few questions

1 - What about themes. How would we install them? Would we install only one theme and it would be the same for all. I imgine that the theme would reflect the name of the forum.

2 - What about Custom Profile Field Mod. I heard from WinRule that this would be included in a future version of SMF but meanwhile, would we be able to install Custom Profile Field Mod.

3 - How would the URL's work? would it be something like www.abc.com/forum_A, www.abc.com/forum_B etc?

4 - How much work did this mod ask from you?

5 - It will take only one MySQL database. What will be the effect of this on the load on the database?

6 - When will this mod be available?

If I could have this mod working that would be great.

Thanks

DenDen60

DenDen60

Forgot to ask,

What about the search option, will it search allt the forums at once or only a selected forums.

Suggestion, on the firts page, it should search all forums but once in a specific forum, search that forum only.

Denden60

Sarge

Quote from: denden60 on March 23, 2007, 11:42:53 PM
Well this is a great mod. This is what I need.

Thanks for your interest, DenDen60. I'm glad you like it so far. I need it for my site too, so that's why I started writing it. I fully intend to release the mod to the SMF community as soon as I have finished a working version.

I prensently have around 10 instances of SMF-TP running. They alll have the same look and feel and are link together by one user database.

Shared Forum Mod (SFMod for short) is intended for single, normal installations of SMF and TP; it does not take multiple instances into account. It might work, but I can't assure you of that.

1 - What about themes. How would we install them? Would we install only one theme and it would be the same for all. I imgine that the theme would reflect the name of the forum.

SFMod installs on, and modifies, the default (Core) template. You'll have to modify other themes manually.

I understand that people have trouble with some custom themes. So, I intend to make as few theme modifications as possible. For example, linktree is modified in Load.php, not index.template.php.

2 - What about Custom Profile Field Mod. I heard from WinRule that this would be included in a future version of SMF but meanwhile, would we be able to install Custom Profile Field Mod.

I haven't tested Custom Profile Field Mod with SMF+TP+SFMod yet, but I will sometime. Note that SFMod is based on Custom Action Mod by winrules, so it shouldn't have many conflicts with CPF, if at all.

3 - How would the URL's work? would it be something like www.abc.com/forum_A, www.abc.com/forum_B etc?

With very few exceptions, URLs should be the same as those of an unmodified SMF+TP installations. The forum parameter value is set and updated through a session variable, not a URL variable. For more information, please read the first post on this topic.

4 - How much work did this mod ask from you?

A few hours so far, I guess. The mod is still not finished, and I intend to simplify the code to make it simpler and easier to maintain.

5 - It will take only one MySQL database. What will be the effect of this on the load on the database?

The effect should be negligible. At present (the mod is still in alpha development stage), there are only two additional queries, which are very quick and get executed only in two special circumstances: when topic (2 queries) or board (1 query) is set in URL. Each query retrieves a single field from a single row in one database table.

6 - When will this mod be available?

As soon as I have a working version that I'm satisfied with. :)

If I could have this mod working that would be great.

Thanks

DenDen60

Sure you will. I intend to submit the mod for approval too.

I see that you have registered on the test online forum. If you have any further comments, please post them here, so that everyone can benefit.

Quote from: denden60 on March 23, 2007, 11:55:01 PM
What about the search option, will it search allt the forums at once or only a selected forums.

Suggestion, on the firts page, it should search all forums but once in a specific forum, search that forum only.

I haven't tested the search option, but I plan to work on it. ;)

Thanks again!
Sarge

DenDen60

Sarge wrote: Shared Forum Mod (SFMod for short) is intended for single, normal installations of SMF and TP; it does not take multiple instances into account. It might work, but I can't assure you of that.

I understand that but I also understand that I would not need 10 instances with your mod.

Please tell me if I am right but the way I understand it, I would have only one installation but could have 10 different forums on it with 10 different TP frontpage for them.

AM I right in assuming this?

Thanks

DenDen60

Sarge

Quote from: denden60 on March 24, 2007, 07:18:40 AM
I understand that but I also understand that I would not need 10 instances with your mod.

Please tell me if I am right but the way I understand it, I would have only one installation but could have 10 different forums on it with 10 different TP frontpage for them.

AM I right in assuming this?

Yes and no.

The mod is based on the concept that forums are collections of categories, just like categories are collections of boards.

There's one set of users, global moderators, admins etc. and they are shared across all forums. The forums (i.e. collections of categories) can be accessed through the frontpage, so the frontpage is the same for all forums.

But the mod can be made so that each forum can have its own theme.

DenDen60

Quote from: Sarge on March 24, 2007, 12:13:25 PM

Yes and no.

The mod is based on the concept that forums are collections of categories, just like categories are collections of boards.

There's one set of users, global moderators, admins etc. and they are shared across all forums. The forums (i.e. collections of categories) can be accessed through the frontpage, so the frontpage is the same for all forums.

But the mod can be made so that each forum can have its own theme.

Well it might work for me if when I go from forum 1 to forum 2 the title of the forum changes from forum 1 to forum 2.

From your point of view, what would be the maximun number of different forums that could organize like this?

DenDen60

Sarge

Quote from: denden60 on March 24, 2007, 03:44:04 PM
Well it might work for me if when I go from forum 1 to forum 2 the title of the forum changes from forum 1 to forum 2.

If you are talking about the page title or linktree, the mod already does that. You can see it in action at the online test site.

You can specify the title for each forum. Click on the screenshot (in a previous post) to see how the mod admin panel looks like.

Quote from: denden60 on March 24, 2007, 03:44:04 PM
From your point of view, what would be the maximun number of different forums that could organize like this?

There's no theoretical limit. 10 forums should be fine.

DenDen60

Sarge wrote : You can specify the title for each forum. Click on the screenshot (in a previous post) to see how the mod admin panel looks like.

Yes but on the top it does not change.

If you look at your web site:
http://www.albwebmaster.com/index.php? the name on the top stays AlbWebMaster wheter your are on one forum ot the other.

I need this to change each time I change forum.

You should intstall an other theme on you site so that we can see it in action.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

DenDen60  

Sarge

Quote from: denden60 on March 25, 2007, 07:32:46 AM
Sarge wrote : You can specify the title for each forum. Click on the screenshot (in a previous post) to see how the mod admin panel looks like.

Yes but on the top it does not change.

If you look at your web site:
http://www.albwebmaster.com/index.php? the name on the top stays AlbWebMaster wheter your are on one forum ot the other.

Well spotted. ;) It was set in TPortal.php, a TP file. I changed that too.

Quote from: denden60 on March 25, 2007, 07:32:46 AM
You should intstall an other theme on you site so that we can see it in action.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

DenDen60 

I updated the mod (again, LOL). Now you can also specify the id for the forum theme you want to use. As an example, I installed the Aero79 and Manuscript themes for TP; I set Aero79 for the General forum and Manuscript for the IT forum in mod's control panel. Try it and see if it's working correctly - it looks OK to me, but I might have missed something, you know.

Thanks for the encouraging words and support. :)

Sarge

Quote from: denden60 on March 23, 2007, 11:55:01 PM

The search option will search in the current forum only. Due to the way the mod works, if no forum has been selected yet, a default forum will be searched.

In the online test site, the default forum is "General".

DenDen60

I wrote :If you look at your web site:

You wrote: Well spotted.  It was set in TPortal.php, a TP file. I changed that too.

Well I think I did not explain it well. I meant The title needs to change.

Thanks

Denis

Sarge

Quote from: denden60 on March 26, 2007, 10:10:19 PM
I wrote :If you look at your web site:

You wrote: Well spotted.  It was set in TPortal.php, a TP file. I changed that too.

Well I think I did not explain it well. I meant The title needs to change.

Thanks

Denis

If you are talking about the page title (the window title in your browser), now it changes every time you switch to a(nother) forum. It only stays "AlbWebMaster" while you have not  entered a forum yet. The mod has no way of knowing which forum should be displayed without the user telling the mod which forum to display (i.e. by clicking on a forum, board or topic link). Do you have any idea about what should be done about this?

If you're talking about something else, please tell me.

Advertisement: