Recent posts user preference

Started by miseryshining, March 19, 2007, 05:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvyhitter

Quote from: miseryshining on April 24, 2007, 09:46:18 AM
Ha, you guys seem really desperate, i can't let you down. I'll do the following:

-add a user definable option for nr of days to go back (is that a requirement? we could also use pagination, just like the unread posts listing).
-make it only display topics that have replies you haven't seen yet (right?).
-maybe create a template page that looks like the unread posts listing.

no no no no.. unread or READ i dont care.. the issue is I may click NEW and read it quick.. then go.. you know what.. I DO have a reply for that thread later.. and then I cant hit like latest thread listing and find it fast....

I cant believe no one has asked for a Vbulletin style "New posts" Option.. well only a Few have.. about 6 people that I saw in my search..

and the Vbulletin way is NOT the correct description of what new posts is in the vbulletin  world.. its more like

List posts (any READ or UNREAD) in cronological order starting with most recently updated one first.

I want to take this and make a button right next to the New posts button on the header.

i think THAT way of (incorrectly displaying) new posts is more condusive to posting. (From my vbulletin days.)

Plus I also like that after I post.. and hit new posts.. if I am the last person to post in that thread it is STILL listed as the most recent post.. even though i obviously read it all.

Thanks.. I have been going nuts.. my user community has been REALLY patient.. and they love the new board.. i love the way SMF gives me DATA! its awesome.. so.. I dont want to go back.. i just want that ONE piece of functionality back..

S1L1C0N

Quote from: hvyhitter on April 26, 2007, 02:23:00 PM
Quote from: miseryshining on April 24, 2007, 09:46:18 AM
Ha, you guys seem really desperate, i can't let you down. I'll do the following:

-add a user definable option for nr of days to go back (is that a requirement? we could also use pagination, just like the unread posts listing).
-make it only display topics that have replies you haven't seen yet (right?).
-maybe create a template page that looks like the unread posts listing.

no no no no.. unread or READ i dont care.. the issue is I may click NEW and read it quick.. then go.. you know what.. I DO have a reply for that thread later.. and then I cant hit like latest thread listing and find it fast....

I cant believe no one has asked for a Vbulletin style "New posts" Option.. well only a Few have.. about 6 people that I saw in my search..

and the Vbulletin way is NOT the correct description of what new posts is in the vbulletin  world.. its more like

List posts (any READ or UNREAD) in cronological order starting with most recently updated one first.

I want to take this and make a button right next to the New posts button on the header.

i think THAT way of (incorrectly displaying) new posts is more condusive to posting. (From my vbulletin days.)

Plus I also like that after I post.. and hit new posts.. if I am the last person to post in that thread it is STILL listed as the most recent post.. even though i obviously read it all.

Thanks.. I have been going nuts.. my user community has been REALLY patient.. and they love the new board.. i love the way SMF gives me DATA! its awesome.. so.. I dont want to go back.. i just want that ONE piece of functionality back..

WORD FOR WORD EXACTLY WHAT I FEEL. THANK GOD IM NOT ALONE, LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN FINALLY FOLKS!

hvyhitter

I just am Flabbergasted people dont ask for this more.. IMO.. if you got this on SMF.. in ADDITION to the New posts the way SMF does it.. I really HONESTLY cant think of why you would want to run Vbulletin..

Cant see the code unless your registered.. AS IF..

miseryshining

Alright, let me get it straight. The thing you want is the functionality of this mod (when the user ticks "Only show the last reply of a thread", it displays thread titles chronologically) but displayed on a full page + pagination.

If that's all, i'll be able to fix it this weekend.

S1L1C0N

Quote from: miseryshining on April 27, 2007, 08:47:26 AM
Alright, let me get it straight. The thing you want is the functionality of this mod (when the user ticks "Only show the last reply of a thread", it displays thread titles chronologically) but displayed on a full page + pagination.

Yes, what was listed above, COMBINED with the power of your mod and being able to exclude recents shown from certain catagories will just be AMAZING.

goranbaxy

Hi, I have installed this mode but I don't see anywhere 'recent topics' on my forum, I have default theme.
Is there something else I have to do beside installing mod?
Thanks.

miseryshining

Quote from: S1L1C0N on April 27, 2007, 09:32:40 AM
Quote from: miseryshining on April 27, 2007, 08:47:26 AM

Yes, what was listed above, COMBINED with the power of your mod and being able to exclude recents shown from certain catagories will just be AMAZING.

nothing done yet, planning to work on it tonight / tomorrow

Quote from: goranbaxy on April 30, 2007, 01:19:03 PM
Hi, I have installed this mode but I don't see anywhere 'recent topics' on my forum, I have default theme.
Is there something else I have to do beside installing mod?
Thanks.

Read the mod's description?

Quote from: miseryshining You can display a recent posts list by callingb]ssi_recentPostsPref()[/b] in your template. You will also need to include SSI.php somewhere before calling the function.

so you will have to add something like this to your theme index template:

require_once('SSI.php');
ssi_recentPostsPref();

hvyhitter

WEll any effort is appreciated.. The way SMF handles new posts is TOTALLY killing myusers post counts.. and it didnt need any help as the newly installed shoutbox gave it a pretty good hit too.. THAT was an unforseen consequence.

hvyhitter

This is the "Recent Topics" part of the board that I now see on the bottom of my template.. right?

Is there a way of making this open in a window by itself.. and looking like it does on the first page.. as opposed to the second page where it is all spread out?

i am still looking for that original specs Silicon and I layed out.. but i have no problem modifying to fit my preferences.

what do you mean by this?

ssi_recentPostsPref()[/b] in your template. You will also need to include SSI.php somewhere before calling the function.

is there a way of putting that into a link..

for instance.. my current New posts tab on the top which i added is..

http://www.hvyhitter.com/index.php?action=unread;all

is there a way that i can make a button to call up that first page in a window all by itself?
I am no web programmer.. but I got a lot of energy for it.

ladynada

have you tried:

http://heartdaughter.com/overcomers/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0;sort=last_post

???  that shows the OLDEST unread in all boards with the oldest messages first

arghh..

its a combo you are asking for, between unread all since last visit ( with no consideration for whether you replied on the thread or not ).

in other words, the * START * number needs to be SET to a place in the list that begins SINCE your last visit!

does that make sense?

nada
WORK for Truth, Print it, Take Time to READ ALL LINKS NOTED  click here --> The TWO Witnesses are Mom and Dad and SMF Skins

ladynada

you will need to peruse sources/recent.php

because the people who are saying this would slow things down are correct, as there are warnings in the code about that.  you would have to combine looking for recent message since, AND if they are unread or not, then take the results and write some html to display it like the recent list does in the Recent.template.php...

is not this possible with SSI.php?

nada
WORK for Truth, Print it, Take Time to READ ALL LINKS NOTED  click here --> The TWO Witnesses are Mom and Dad and SMF Skins

ladynada

crashed twice tryin to post this...

okay please try this on a board of your choice, it seems to work for me, for example, it skipped over a newer topic that I HAD seen, and listed the topics around it, both older and newer,that I had NOT seen.

http://heartdaughter.com/overcomers/index.php?action=unread;all;board=15.0;start=0;sort=last_post

it shows unread posts, with the oldest first, per board

if that works, it would easy to implement with SSI or just php by counting from board 1 to last, checking for access to the board and/or message, and setting up the html display the way you like

nada

daveb47

Trying to use this mod,
Dont understand this part

QuoteYou can display a recent posts list by calling ssi_recentPostsPref() in your template. You will also need to include SSI.php somewhere before calling the function.

Tried putting this into board_template but it does nothing,Could do withh some help please.

https://daveb47.co.uk

A Slinky is like Jeremy CorbynWinehouse,Weird looking,Not really of any use to anybody.
But its really funny when it falls down the stairs!!:D:D

miseryshining

Quote from: daveb47 on May 13, 2007, 12:40:30 PM
Trying to use this mod,
Dont understand this part

QuoteYou can display a recent posts list by calling ssi_recentPostsPref() in your template. You will also need to include SSI.php somewhere before calling the function.

Tried putting this into board_template but it does nothing,Could do withh some help please.

what exactly did you put in there? should be

require_once('SSI.php');
ssi_recentPostsPref();

that will print the recent posts listing, right where you put the code and according to your current preference.

I've finally added the possibility to generate a recent topic listing as requested (check out the attachment). I'd like to get some feedback on it. Basically i cut a part from Recent.php and integrated it with ssi_recentTopics(). It will use the same template that the unread posts function uses, with few minor changes. You can call it like this:

http://yourforum.com/index.php?action=recenttopics

to override the users board selection and display topics from all boards
http://yourforum.com/index.php?action=recenttopics;all

to display the last 40 topics (it will display a maximum of 50 at a time. default is 30)
http://yourforum.com/index.php?action=recenttopics;count=40

It shouldn't break any of the 'old' functionality.

*bugfix: the user preferences were reset after changing other profile settings. I will publish the fix together with the new version, after some more testing / feature enhancements.
For now, it's included in the attachment. Don't forget to uninstall the old version before installing a new one.

daveb47

Thats great,Works fine.Thanx.
Just one more thing that would improve appearence,Is there any way of putting a box/border arond it & maybe title as in shoutbox.

A Slinky is like Jeremy CorbynWinehouse,Weird looking,Not really of any use to anybody.

miseryshining

Quote from: daveb47 on May 14, 2007, 04:24:27 AM
Thats great,Works fine.Thanx.
Just one more thing that would improve appearence,Is there any way of putting a box/border arond it & maybe title as in shoutbox.
you could add a border to it by putting it inside a div. require_once('SSI.php');
echo '<div class="recentposts">';ssi_recentPostsPref();echo '</div>';
You can then style it from the theme settings in your administration panel and add a border, etc. .recentposts { border: 1px solid #000000; }

daveb47

Many thhanx for help,As you may have guessed i am very new to SMF stuff ??? :D

I have altered stylesheet by adding code at end.

.avatar_t
{
height: 65px;
width: 65px;
border: 1px solid #000000;
}

.hd_border_l{
background-image: url(images/hd_border_l.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-y;
}

.hd_border_r{
background-image: url(images/hd_border_r.gif);
background-repeat: repeat-y;
}

.recentposts { border: 1px solid #000000;
}

also  changed boardindex.php

</tr>
</table>
</div><div class="bdc" style="margin-bottom: 2ex;"><!-- blank --></div>';
}

// display shoutbox
  if (function_exists('sbox')) sbox();

require_once('SSI.php');
echo '<div class="recentposts">';ssi_recentPostsPref();echo '</div>';

/* Each category in categories is made up of:
id, href, link, name, is_collapsed (is it collapsed?), can_collapse (is it okay if it is?),
new (is it new?), collapse_href (href to collapse/expand), collapse_image (up/down iamge),
and boards. (see below.) */
foreach ($context['categories'] as $category)

But cant get border to show.

hvyhitter

actually i solved my own problem..

i installed TinyPortal.. it had EXACTLY what i was asking for as a DEFAULT on the right side.. and the install.. which is the SMF way.. couldnt have been easier.. I am getting to be quite the SMF guru it woudl appear.

miseryshining

Quote from: hvyhitter on May 14, 2007, 03:43:05 PM
actually i solved my own problem..

i installed TinyPortal.. it had EXACTLY what i was asking for as a DEFAULT on the right side.. and the install.. which is the SMF way.. couldnt have been easier.. I am getting to be quite the SMF guru it woudl appear.

Nice to hear that you got it fixed, tinyportal is a nice package indeed. not sure what you mean with the SMF way. i personally think that many mods are very restrictive by forcing the user to use them in a limited way. that's why i choose to provide as much flexibility as possible, at the cost of ease of installation (although it's still very easy to setup).

@daveb47: not sure what's wrong, that code should work. you don't happen to have a black forum background?

daveb47

I think i am going to hide in a corner :-X
Black on black indeed :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanx miseryshining,You got it in one.

Is there any easy way to put "Recent Posts" at top of box?

Also would very much like to take away option of no. of posts to show from Profile & aet it t o 5 for everyone.

Advertisement: