Translating phpBB2 permissions to SMF

Started by packman, August 31, 2004, 06:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman

I think I understand  :-\

I don't think I have particularly complex permission requirements...I have two groups who 'moderate' two exclusive sets of boards, although all registered users can read/post to all the boards. The only way I can see of doing that is to set all of my boards to local and then give appropriate board permissions to each 'moderator' group...and finally give all the ungrouped users, Moderators and Global Mods the basic permissions they need to post, etc to the boards.

I think I concluded that making people moderators on boards didn't help, because you said they'd need the extra permissions given globally to Moderators (group 2). That meant adding board_permissions for the users who were moderators, which meant setting local permissions, which meant adding all the other board_permissions they'd need anyway and then giving the basic permissions to all the other groups!

I haven't come up with a better solution for you though. I can see how I can do what I need to do in a much easier way, but I'm lucky to have a well behaved set of users and have never needed anything like Deny  :D
Chris

[Unknown]

Quote from: packman on September 16, 2004, 08:12:22 AM
I think I understand  :-\

I don't think I have particularly complex permission requirements...I have two groups who 'moderate' two exclusive sets of boards, although all registered users can read/post to all the boards. The only way I can see of doing that is to set all of my boards to local and then give appropriate board permissions to each 'moderator' group...and finally give all the ungrouped users, Moderators and Global Mods the basic permissions they need to post, etc to the boards.

I think I concluded that making people moderators on boards didn't help, because you said they'd need the extra permissions given globally to Moderators (group 2).

True, but that's like having the board local.  Meaning, if I'm in group 2 (a moderator) my permissiions ONLY apply locally to THE BOARD I MODERATE.  This means that if I am on the list of moderators for a board, I will only have moderation powers inside it and no others.  This can be done, however, without using any local permissions whatsoever, because it's using the global set of moderator (2) permissions.

QuoteThat meant adding board_permissions for the users who were moderators, which meant setting local permissions, which meant adding all the other board_permissions they'd need anyway and then giving the basic permissions to all the other groups!

I haven't come up with a better solution for you though. I can see how I can do what I need to do in a much easier way, but I'm lucky to have a well behaved set of users and have never needed anything like Deny  :D

You can use disallow on those misbehaving ones.

-[Unknown]

packman

Ahhh...I understand how mods work now! I think the permission conversion process I've used is still valid, because it pretty much maps phpBB permission to SMF permission. Trying to work out whether a set of phpBB permissions add up to SMF moderator is too messy. The converter leaves the converted forum with the same effective permissions as it had before, which is what's really needed and keeps the code relatively simple. I suspect that with some human intervention I'll be able to simplify the permissions (using moderator permissions) once I've converted my forum.
Chris

Advertisement: