News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How can I restore smf forum from a backup?

Started by GeneMoore, March 29, 2007, 02:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elad

Some support Motoko-chan :(
We like answers now instead of SPENDING HOURS seaching all the time.
I am trying smf over phpbb2 that I have been using for years.

phpbb2 has a built in Restore function along with Backup function buttons in its admin panel.
Why does sfm not have that?
Why even bother to have a Backup button since it seems one have to use cpanel anyway to Restore?
Might as well use Backup there too (in cpanel) instead of confusing us out here.
To me, this is usless function creating more headaches as it is now.

青山 素子

Quote from: Elad on September 25, 2007, 03:33:32 PM
Some support Motoko-chan :(
We like answers now instead of SPENDING HOURS seaching all the time.
I am trying smf over phpbb2 that I have been using for years.

Better to find your answer in a few minutes than wait hours because the team keeps having to answer the same questions for the hundredth time. We ask people to search so they can have a chance of finding an answer quicker, or maybe find something that can at least help them know what the issue is not.

Quote from: Elad on September 25, 2007, 03:33:32 PM
phpbb2 has a built in Restore function along with Backup function buttons in its admin panel.
Why does sfm not have that?
Why even bother to have a Backup button since it seems one have to use cpanel anyway to Restore?
Might as well use Backup there too (in cpanel) instead of confusing us out here.
To me, this is usless function creating more headaches as it is now.

The restore function would require SMF to be already installed to work. If you are moving hosts or having to recover from a lost database, you probably won't have a working SMF to restore with. Basically, it makes no sense (you'd have to do an install to restore).

Not everyone has cPanel. Some people have Ensim, others have Plesk. Others have nothing at all. Backup exists in the admin to let any forum admin, even one without direct server access, to make a backup.

Also, this is an old topic. Why are we digging it up now?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Elad

Problem was not SMF but my system.
Google CHROME and IE8 v2.0.2 beta both acting up.
One day my entire system crashed - bootsector failure.
New HD and a lot of restoring software and all is well now...

Rumbaar

Wow a response almost a year after posting ... not sure the adage "Better late than never applies here" :)
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: