News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ad Revenue Sharing Mod (Beta)

Started by karlbenson, March 31, 2007, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nibb

Any tips on how to install it on a non default template?

Niteblade

Quick question.

If one were to install this modification manually due to the desire to use a non-default template or to use the adsense background images, do you think the mod is easy enough to understand for the purpose of manipulating it to fit personal tastes?

PS ... How's the new version looking?  :P
affiliate blog

karlbenson

From everyones requests (and some ideas of my own) and I've a massive list of things which I want to include in addition to what was available in the beta.

However with so many major changes I've had to put it all down on paper on how its going to work.

Especially with the custom board ads, multiple ad units, responders aswell as the topic creator getting a share. (and some secret features.

Rather than a beta 1.1, this feels more like a 2.0, and so its going to take me several weeks. All I can say is, that being well thought out means it should feel like a new mod rather than one cobbled together with add-ons.

With regards to installing a non-default theme, for the current version you have to do the manual edits.  Open the install.xml file and perform the alterations.

For the new version I'm working on, once its done, I will provide patches which will install it on specific themes that are available on smf.  For custom bespoke themes I'll provide the list of edits that you need to make.

nibb

Thats great, doesnt it seem a bit complicated to have a patch for every theme? Isnt it easy somehow that you specify the theme path or name and it then install it? I use a theme from SMF but imagine every others that have their own, files actually are the same for every theme just looks changes.

karlbenson

unfortunately nibb, as most themes are done by non-smf developers, the majority of the skins, it wont install on exactly the same.  The only times it won't need installing is if the theme doesnt have a custom version, then the default one is used.

Even with the babylon and classic themes, most likely, they will require modified patches to install on those skins.

Until SMF 2.0 (later this year) when its possible to install on multiple skins easily, i'm going to have to do patches, or it means all the people using this patch, doing manual edits on each skin.

nibb

Quote from: karlbenson on April 10, 2007, 02:09:14 PM
unfortunately nibb, as most themes are done by non-smf developers, the majority of the skins, it wont install on exactly the same.  The only times it won't need installing is if the theme doesnt have a custom version, then the default one is used.

Even with the babylon and classic themes, most likely, they will require modified patches to install on those skins.

Until SMF 2.0 (later this year) when its possible to install on multiple skins easily, i'm going to have to do patches, or it means all the people using this patch, doing manual edits on each skin.

Are you the creator of the mod?
If so could you install it on my site until the new version comes out? I use the pdx-dk-09 theme.

I can pay you 10$ bucks via paypal.  ;D I know its not much but i think it will not take you that much either. Im kind of short on money now since im already putting money here for another mod called pay per  post but.

karlbenson

yep, I created the mod.

nibb, I had a quick look at the skin your talkign about.
I don't have the time to install it for you on the skin, since it would take away time from working on redoing the mod.

You will only need to perform the edits on the index.template.php and the profile.template.php as far as I can see

Niteblade

Hey, just taking a quick peek back in here to see how things are going.
affiliate blog

karlbenson

not very well atm. My internet has been down for most of the last week.  So I've not managed to do much more, since I can't test the php I'm writing.

Niteblade

Quote from: karlbenson on April 20, 2007, 09:54:41 AM
not very well atm. My internet has been down for most of the last week.  So I've not managed to do much more, since I can't test the php I'm writing.

Sorry to hear that.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you. I don't know much about coding or database manipulation, but I'm willing to do things that are in my power. You might want to consider installing XAMPP so that you can install SMF on your local machine -- that way, you wouldn't be dependent upon your internet connection for testing purposes.
affiliate blog

karlbenson

nibb

My offer is still up for the one that wants to install this for me. I use the PDX-DK Theme and spanish language. The offer is 20$ now send via paypal.

nibb

I almost installed this thing but had 1 error, so for anyone intereste my bid is at the most 15$ to install this at:
https://www.scriptlance.com/cgi-bin/freelancers/project.cgi?id=1177387982

nibb

Your mod seems really complicated. A programmer was installing this on my forum and said he cannot do it since somehow it will not use the spanish file. Whats so wrong about that, isnt the spanish files just a copy of the english ones?

nibb

Ok i did it. Fully working on PDX Theme and in a non english language. You just have to edit the mod itself and then some files on the theme. I did this myself without anyhelp. I saved myself 15$ bucks.  ;D

Now the second step. To full translate the mod. I found the text on install.xml so i guess it will not break anything.

PHP is very nice and it helped allot that on the code it was always the title of Ad Revenue mod so i could find it.

My question is another one now.

1. Is this mod legal? I mean doesnt it breake Adsense guidelines? Im afraid Google would cancell my Adsense account or the ones form users? Why because basically you are using tons of adsenses accounts on 1 webpage only and how will google know that it isnt just users clicking themself on the ads to get earnings. Anybody has tought about this?

2. What happens if a user gets to a membergroup for example where hes % is 30% and then disappears forever. He will then have earnings for life? I mean after 1 year the site could very big and the vanished user will just see his adsense incomes without posting anything more.

Niteblade

Quote from: nibb on April 25, 2007, 06:01:30 AM
1. Is this mod legal? I mean doesnt it breake Adsense guidelines? Im afraid Google would cancell my Adsense account or the ones form users? Why because basically you are using tons of adsenses accounts on 1 webpage only and how will google know that it isnt just users clicking themself on the ads to get earnings. Anybody has tought about this?

Mods like this are legal, and have been available for vBulletin for quite some time.

Moreover, I believe this mod is coded in such a way that it is impossible for a person to click on their own ads. The ads will look the same, but the account number associated with the ad changes.
affiliate blog

nibb

That is great. I was just a little worried, not that Google then disables or sues me for making clic frauds.

nibb

My mod is not counting impressions on the admin area.

karlbenson

Are the logging of impressions turned on?

nibb

Yes the option is on. Also could someone explain better what are Non Topic Pages?

Advertisement: