News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ad Revenue Sharing Mod (Beta)

Started by karlbenson, March 31, 2007, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlbenson

Link To Mod
Ad Revenue Sharing modification v1.0 by Karl Benson (BETA VERSION)

Warning: This is a beta ~ So ensure you take a full backup of your database AND files before installing this mod.

Tested & Works for 1.1.2 and Installs on the DEFAULT skin only.  I haven't written the manual edits out yet, as I'm re-writing loads of it.

This is a brand new mod with extensive coding.  I've been working on this for over a month on a clean fresh 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 forums.  I've tested it extensively to the point where I'm confident to install a modified version on my own forum.  Any bugs in this will probably be limited to a few index undefined errors.

Warning: You should NOT use this mod if you have the Ad Management Mod by Jerm installed, any other advertisement mod or if you have manually inserted adverts into your pages.

Description:

There are 3 advertising programs supported by this mod atm.  Google Adsense, Yahoo Publisher Network (a.k.a YPN) [atm is USA only] and TextLinkAds referral ads

This mod enables your users to signup to any or all of those programs and then enter there ID into the Ad Revenue Sharing area of their profile.

When anyone views a topic, there is a chance that the author of that topic will have his ID's used to show the ads.  The rest of the time, board ads are used.

For any non-topic pages, a user is selected at random or the board ads can be shown.

This mod includes tonnes of settings/options to control position/colors/size of ads, control which users can participate based on membergroup, those who can see ads, banned users, reports, stats, etc etc etc

SticKer

i have installed this mod, but it doesnt seem to work.. has anyone tried it yet

Niteblade

Does this have the option to appear in a user's profile after that user has made 50 posts ?
affiliate blog

karlbenson

This mod can be disabled/enabled on a per membergroup basis.
(its much better than doing it by minimum posts)
If it is disabled, the section still shows, but they get a message telling them they currently are not allowed to participate. (at least they then know that the section is there, and what they need to do to participate)

SticKer: Yes theres a beta thread in the coding section, where various people have tried it.  It does work.  I'm currently working on improving it considerably with more stuff.  Plus tonnes of tweaks.

SticKer

this surely is a gr8 mod, i ll try it once more and also will chk the coding thread n see what m doing wrong

Niteblade

I'm playing around with an a-typical adsense layout on my forum. Basically, I wanted to pattern my forum after successful & established revenue sharing communities, such as Digital Point.

I'm wondering..

Will this mod allow me to

• Place a 468x60 banner in-line with my forum logo? Similar to what I have now?
  • Place a 728x15 text banner after the first post, when there is only one post in the thread?
  • If there is a reply, then I'd like to display two 768x90 banners, along with the 728x15 text banner.

Examine this post to see what I mean..
affiliate blog

karlbenson

1. YES. Various positions including that one.
2. & 3 The 728x15 strips aren't currently supported.  I'm adding loads more sizes in the next version I'm working on (though its going to be a whiel before its ready)

Adding a 728x90 or other sizes after the first post is supported in this version.  It is not currently possible to have different banners whether there are replies or not.

dxdonline

How to install this on TinyPortal v0.9.8. Package will not install with TinyPortal v0.9.8
http://www.dxdonline.com [nofollow] - Play watch and Have Fun

freizeit

This is amazing. I have turned my SMF Webmaster Forum [nofollow] into an ad revenue sharing forum. Thanks a lot!  :)
121Answers.com [nofollow] - Ask. Answer. Earn :)

karlbenson

Quote from: dxdonline on April 02, 2007, 11:34:41 PM
How to install this on TinyPortal v0.9.8. Package will not install with TinyPortal v0.9.8

Hmm.
Which bits does it fail on.

I will try to make sure for certain the next version installs on TP

dxdonline

Quote from: karlbenson on April 03, 2007, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: dxdonline on April 02, 2007, 11:34:41 PM

Hmm.
Which bits does it fail on.

I will try to make sure for certain the next version installs on TP

This one fails

./Themes/default/index.template.php
http://www.dxdonline.com [nofollow] - Play watch and Have Fun

nibb

This MOd is ultra great. I installed it on a non english site replacing the variables english for my lenguage. Im so sad that it only works with the Default template. I really would love to change it so it works with my theme. This is mod is the one i was looking for so long, i wanted to donate via the paypal link but it doesnt work. Thanks Karl

karlbenson

lol Nibb. (re paypal link)

Once the next version is done, I'll post extra mods (add-ons/patches essentially) to install on different skins.

I've said somewhere I reckon it will be a month of work on this mod to get in all the requests/features that have been requested/I want to add.

nibb

Great, I could install it perfectly on another lenguage, that was easy, just changed the english references to my lenguage as well as the ManageArs.lenguage

It installed fine but i just on the default skin. I hope to get this as soon as possible to my skin. I only need 1 banner to show.

This function would be great.

A user that post or replies a post has preference to his ads. So if the user that more responds to a topic or thread gets more points to display his banner, type of like a pay per post but in this case with banners.

Another good suggestion would be have the option to enable the mod to a certain group of users only.

I really would like to start using it before the next update, you could make a manual text file or instructions on how to integrate it with another skin. I see that 90% of users has asked on how to integrate it with his skin, i think nobody uses the default skins since they are very nice skins for SMF outhere. So i think that would be priority, a manual integration in the meantime would be great until the next update that could be integrate in other skins. I will try to do it myself just like i installed it on a non enlish forum, im not just an PHP programmer so i will this how where are the commands that use default and try to change them to my skink, the non english was as easy a search english and replace with Dreamweaver i guess template integration will not be as easy right.

Niteblade

Do you estimate that your future code will be so radically different that this mod will have to be un-installed first before upgrading? Or.. are you designing your modification in terms of manual additions that can be easily done? In other words, if this mod is one of many modifications installed on a forum, how hard is it going to be to upgrade ?

Thanks.
affiliate blog

nibb

Quote from: nite0859 on April 04, 2007, 08:39:28 PM
Do you estimate that your future code will be so radically different that this mod will have to be un-installed first before upgrading? Or.. are you designing your modification in terms of manual additions that can be easily done? In other words, if this mod is one of many modifications installed on a forum, how hard is it going to be to upgrade ?

Thanks.

I uninstalled it so i wait to the new version. It said uninstalled on SMF but the links are still there. i think it did not uninstalled completely, i hope that doesnt conflict when i install the new version.  :P

Niteblade

Would it be possible to use images that adsense could be drawn upon?

affiliate blog

nibb

Quote from: nite0859 on April 07, 2007, 01:23:04 AM
Would it be possible to use images that adsense could be drawn upon?

Could you explain? You can post adsense codes for several sizes and shapes and forms.

karlbenson

when people do that. they have placed the ads inside a table or div and set that image to the background.

It isnot and wont be possible to do that.  Unless you modify the code on installation.

Advertisement: