News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Introducing SMF 2.0

Started by Grudge, April 08, 2007, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osmonicar

This looks very prommising, great work. Will there be a SMF Portal too, and what i miss in the privious versions is a customasebale memberlist option. I hope it will be included in the new release.

But lets stop asking questions, go on with the good work.

Lamarck

It's just amazing.The new SMF seems to have everything I wanted for the 1.X series (warning system,moderation center,etc)...very good work,I'm looking forward It!.

dvk01

is there likely to be any improvements in the search facility

the ONE big gripe with SMF is its lousy search with either lots of non relevant hits or no hits at all for known posts

Rudolf

There's a lot to improve in the WY[/i]SISWYG editor.
Nesting of the BBC code is quite bad, and cross-editing makes things worse.

Example:

this is bold this is bold and italic[/i][/u] this is normal

I meant to submit a bug about it sicne a long time. Preview doesn't works anymore, it just gives plain text. (It won't be needed anyway).
I will update all my mods in the next few weeks. Thanks for your patience.

SVG-Collapse (you need an SVG compliant browser)

Harro

wysiwyg editor doesn't work with Opera :(

Sarge

My compliments to Bloc for the new default theme. :)

P.S. So far, it seems to work fine with my Firefox 2.

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Daniel15

Quote from: Harro on April 10, 2007, 06:29:37 AM
wysiwyg editor doesn't work with Opera :(
Yeah, I know... I hope it gets fixed soon :)
Edit: Looks like it kind of works if you tell Opera to identify as Firefox. Press F12, and click on "Edit Site Preferences...". On the Network tab, choose "Identify as Firefox" from the dropdown box.
Looks like there's still a few bugs with it, though

Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Harro

Nice!
Indeed seems to work then :)
Thanks for the tip!

Tristan Perry

The WYSIWYG editor seems really nice :) Just a note to all: I'm not too fond of the bugs either, although SMF 2.0 isn't even in beta stage yet - I'm sure the bugs will be fixed before the initial public releases :P

Osmonicar

where can i get the SMF 2.0 test version?

Harro

Read the first post.
It's not available yet.

mattithjah

Man I can't wait to test it! And also make new versions of my mods..

caruso

Don't forget that SMF ist free and every support or modification is made by volunteers.  ;)

Daniel15

Quote from: Osmonicar on April 10, 2007, 07:47:05 AM
where can i get the SMF 2.0 test version?
It won't be available to the general public for a while - As mentioned in the first post, there probably won't be a public beta version until around October. However, if you really want to try it out as soon as there's a beta version - Become a charter member. Charter members get access to the betas before everyone else ;).

Quote from: mattithjah on April 10, 2007, 08:28:12 AM
Man I can't wait to test it! And also make new versions of my mods..
I guess using this forum is technically testing it :D
As for mods, a lot of them will need to be rewritten (ones that use a database will need to be modified a bit)... The way databases are used will change in SMF 2.0 (it will support PostgreSQL and SQLite as well as MySQL, so instead of MySQL-only functions being used [mysql_fetch_assoc, etc], SMF has its own functions.).
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

nitins60

Where is Sitemap, supposed to be in 2.0

Dannii

I've heard nothing of a sitemap being in 2.0 ever.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Grudge

In terms of the WYSIWYG editor it is relatively basic and is also going to require extensive testing. It's extremely complex getting these things to work cross browser - I know, for example, that it's not working on toggle mode for Firefox (Which I intend to fix).

Also the WYSIWYG editor will probably fall apart a little bit if people start doing crazy stuff with it - at least initially whilst the bugs are worked out. If anyone knows any javascript experts who want to give me a hand let me know :D

And yes, the editor is something the admin can disable and something that the users can toggle (Both in preferences and in live use).
I'm only a half geek really...

Daniel15

Quote from: Grudge on April 10, 2007, 09:03:28 AMIt's extremely complex getting these things to work cross browser
I agree - I would never attempt something as hard as that :P

Oh, and as I mentioned somewhere else, the WYSIWYG editor kinda works in Opera. SMF seems to be denying Opera from using it, but masking Opera as Firefox (F12 --> Edit Site preferences --> Network tab --> Mask as Firefox) shows the editor, which works (but is a bit buggy).
Not that I'd ever use a WYSIWYG editor on a forum - I just don't use WYSIWYG editors, even for websites. gedit is all I need for PHP and HTML+CSS  ;)

Alexander

Great. I would love to see an entirely new theme though, because sure, this is a quite nice one, but you could make a much better default theme. :) Great too see more database support!
And please release the old default theme from this forum in the new version. ;)
Alexander :::

青山 素子

The previous default theme is called "Core" and is in 1.1 as the default theme.

Perhaps you were talking about the one that ran on this site before that? If so, it will not be released for various reasons. This has been asked before, and continuing to ask will not change the answer.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: