Introducing SMF 2.0

Started by Grudge, April 08, 2007, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulkit

Quote from: Grudge on April 08, 2007, 10:47:45 AM
Automatic installation of packages into themes other than just the default.

Does this mean that whenever I install a mod it's gonna work in all themes not just default ?? If yes, then won't it make life more difficult for mod creators ?? I mean, they have no idea what kind of theme someone might be using ...

Quote from: Grudge on April 08, 2007, 10:47:45 AM
  • Moderation center including post, topic and attachment moderation - to allow approving of user content before it is made public.

I have been waiting for this for a loong time ... Thanks  :D :D

Harro

It will TRY to install it for all themes.
But because themes can be very difficult, it's still possible that it'll fail.
And nothing changes for the mod creators. They should worry about the mods, not about the themes ;)

doctorjz

I work alot with Joomla and were able to make the "mods" or "components" seperate in the DB rather than tying them to one particular theme. So the directory path might make more sense to come out of www.YOUR_SITE.com/SMF/modifications or something similar. This way, if you change themes it should have no barring on what mods you have installed vs. what theme you are running. Just a thought.

Other than that I have actually been a big fan of phpBB and vbulletin in the past and once I started using this product I was down right impressed with all of your hard and dedication. This includes all the forums moderators that spend their free time to help everyone out. I really think that people should thank them more often instead of complaining about software thats FREE. Anyways I am a developer myself (hxxp:expose.modus.ie [nonactive] , thats one of my projects) and I always like to hear thanks in my forums.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work fellas.

-Josh
Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.

pushkin22

Quote from: groundup on April 13, 2007, 08:20:35 AM
Got any suggestions for making it better?

Yes, better search friendly URLs! index.php/topic,1.html etc. doesn't really work for spiders indexing the forum.

choloman05

Great job guys! Keep it coming! 

as a side note, I kinda like the new theme, but I think the old theme is better. The new "quote" effect is nice. 

texterted

Such a cool, feature rich forum just gets better and better!

Cheers for all the hard work Guys & Gals...

c2h5oh

That just sounds great, but I'd like to add some extra things that IMHO should be included in 2.0

• Dynamic meta description - I don't give a damn about site: results, but users DO look at description displayed below link and "Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you[..]" does not look very good. My users say that it just scares people off, while it should provide extra info and lure them in. Plain and simple 180 chars from the first post would be enough. Meta keywords would be just a bonus and it could be generated with js clientside when new thread is being posted.
  • Sitemap and Lo-fi versions to speed up indexing
  • Extended SEF URLs - mydomain.tld/board_boardID_Board_name.html & mydomain.tld/topic_topicID.replyNO_Thread_title etc. Since it would include all the standard variables in URL there would be almost no extra load. you could include "board" and "topic" as strings definable via language files and/or via admin
  • xcache support - I've seen some code modifications for 1.1 to make it work, but they were not included in 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, and that would be welcome since xcache is more stable and slightly faster than APC
  • multiple rss feeds - 2 additional settings per board: 1. enable/disable separate, board specific feed 2. enable/disable including in forums global feed
  • Improved search engine (the one currently used is just too much of a resource hog)
  • Global sticky
  • Virtual boards (Boards/child boards being an alias to another board)
  • Karma extended + post rating (digg style)
  • Extended moderation log - diffs saved allowing reversing moderator actions
  • extra ssi functions parameter - results as UTF8 - for forums which for some reason could not be converted to UTF8 but for some reason need to be integrated into UTF8 based site - ie forums latest threads shown on 2 sites: one UTF8, the other not

What do you think? Let me know if any of these need clarification :-)
"The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners"

Joshua Dickerson

Could you put feature requests in the feature request board? That would help organize things. After this post gets too big, it gets annoying trying to find feature requests. There is a post in coding discussion for SSI feature requests.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

c2h5oh

"The day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners"

khoking

I found the bullet list still the following format when I select the lines to index...  :(

[list]
[li]aaa
sss
vvv
bbb[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Kho King
www.ShaShinKi.com
www.PentaxWorld.com

GameCube

What exactally will be included with the warning system? Will it have an IPB style warning bar? Also will there be an option to set ANY post invisible? not just one that was posted by a warned user?

wk38

This one is big! I can't tell you how usefull this will be!

Automatic installation of packages into themes other than just the default.

The new default theme looks much better too.

shadow82x

I think they new new designs not on like the theme but maybe animations and spicing up the topic/post reply box like ipb does it :/
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

GameCube

Permission improvements such as group inheritance and permission profiles to further reduce the complexity of the permissions system.

If I may ask, Grudge, "what's that?"

Thantos

Quote from: GameCube on April 14, 2007, 03:32:44 PM
Permission improvements such as group inheritance and permission profiles to further reduce the complexity of the permissions system.

If I may ask, Grudge, "what's that?"
Imagine you have 5 groups that all need the same permission.  As of right now you have two choices:
1) Create a 6th group and give it the permissions and assign that 6th group as a secondary group to members of the other 5 groups.
2) Setup the permissions for all 5 groups.

With #1 you have to create a 6th group and make sure to assign it.  With #2 it can be a pain if you want to setup board permissions or just change permissions.

With the permission inheritance we've added a 3rd option that works like this:
Setup group 1 with whatever permission you want.  Edit groups 2-5 to inherit their permissions from group 1.  Now if you ever change the permissions for group 1 they'll affect groups 2-5 also.

Permission profiles makes doing per board permissions easier.  With perission profiles you'd setup a whole set of permissions for all groups like normal and give it a name.  Then you can set individual boards to use those profiles.  Then if you make a change to the profile it'll affect all boards using that profile.

trekkie2444

Wow I like it and it's sure an interesting change from those old forums that started smf.

Cosmik

dont know wayt to call it::

Thses all show up as boards

Help room(goes to board)
SPam Room(goes to board)
COunter Strike(goes to board)
Xfire (goes to hxxp:xfire.com [nonactive])
Want to be support, but im too stupid.

codenaught

Quote from: Cosmik on April 14, 2007, 07:58:56 PM
dont know wayt to call it::

Thses all show up as boards

Help room(goes to board)
SPam Room(goes to board)
COunter Strike(goes to board)
Xfire (goes to xfire.com)
Redirection boards? There is a mod for this already for 1.1, and if we don't include such a feature I'm sure the mod will be updated for 2.0.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

ArkServer

maybe a link in the menu that shows:

- Last topic created in x hours and shows the topics that were created.
- After the total x posts total x topics show the total posts made today.
- bookmark feature to bookmark topics

Daniel15

Please post all feature requests to the Feature Requests board - It helps us keep track of them much easier.

Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Advertisement: