News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

convert from Lussumo Vanilla

Started by billybrag, April 16, 2007, 02:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatty

I'd be interested in a converter too. It looks simple on the outside but the load on my server tells another story!

fatty

Any news on the progress on this converter? I'm only asking as I understand as the developers are very busy people that these things can take time. If it's going to be a while in the making I'll build a dodgy script to try and do it for me.

KGIII

I am re-visiting this topic. I am not capable. However... Oldies is, well, probably a bit busy BUT I'm going to say that I would HOPE that he would not mind a reminder PM. If you all are too worried about droping him a PM and asking him to revisit this thread then let me know and I will so that you don't have to worry about it. But, really, he's a great guy from all that I can see, so you should be all set to NICELY remind him to take a look via PM... Nicely...

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

fatty

Thanks for the reply KGIII.

I'm don't like to bother the developers too much. I'm all too aware of how frustrating the constant requests can be. Maybe I'll have to summon up the courage to PM him...

edit: I've PMed Oldies. I hope I was nice enough!  :-\

KGIII

LOL I'm 110% that if it was nice enough (and you referenced this thread in your PM) then he'll not be unhappy. I'm also certain that if he said he was working on it then he is or was. It may take some time though. Right now SMF is going through a LOT of changes. If you did NOT reference this thread then... Err... I guess PM him again and say sorry and what it was you were talking about. We all read COUNTLESS threads per day so we're lost when someone PMs us most of the time. Or at least I am.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

fatty

Sure did reference this thread. So maybe he won't be too cross. :)

edit:

I got a reply...

Unfortunately I haven't really had any time to work on it.

So now I have to decide if I wait or have a crack at it myself...  :-\

billybrag

i tried it and it was horrible!! I dont know either Vanilla or SMF well enough.  I think im gonna have to giv up and start my forum from scratch :(

fatty

Hmmm...I'm having trouble working out where to start. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation on converters? Any tips on a converter to use as a base for a Vanilla converter?

fatty

Looks like I'm going to have to give up and start from scratch! :(

fatty

fatty

redone

You have not been forgotten I will take a look. I have a workload too at this time so I will make promises on a timeline on this either.

fatty

redone

At this time we are working through the current batch of converters so you will have to bear with us on this. We do our best but often there is not enough time in the day!

In the meantime I will see if I can find a workaround for you. I see you provided a db dump earlier on in the post and that's great.

fatty

Any progress on the Vanilla converter Redone?

Fiery

Hello,

I am sorry this has taken so long.  There are many projects and I am not sure what happened with this.  I will post in the development team area and see what is going on.

Also, you may want to try a search: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=search2;search=vanilla you may get lucky and find something that may be of use.  Also have you tried google or anything?

I will let you know what they say.

fatty

Thanks pmp6nl! I've searched Google etc. I've looked for converters to other forum software that SMF already has a converter for but there's nothing out there. I've got a week off work coming up soon. I think I may have to spend the week doing a manual convert!

SleePy

Hello fatty (Dang I feel bad saying that),

Our usual converter creator is a bit busy with life. He has it in his todo list to create one day, but I can say I don't think it would be any time soon sadly.

Feel free to ask questions though about the SMF database. It is really simple and laid out very nicely and column names do what they actually say :P So it shouldn't be to hard to convert most of it. I don't know how vanilla runs (I have yet to download and install a test of it) but most forums are using similar syntaxes today for how they do things.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

dys

I'm also interested on converting back to SMF...help us :(
My Themes

Please use our official Support Forum instead of PM-ing me for any support. From now on, all my themes support will only be available there. Thanks!

Sarge

Quote from: dys on December 12, 2007, 01:27:50 AM
I'm also interested on converting back to SMF...help us :(

Are you also running Vanilla?

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Advertisement: