News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum using up all system resources?

Started by Goosemoose, September 12, 2004, 05:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goosemoose

It looks like there were only 22 on at the time they took it down. The top for the day was 48. Nothing abnormal.

[Unknown]

I don't suppose you could get them to look at the access log, load averages, or anything else from that time?  I can't imagine how else it could be suddenly using up enough resources to physically damage the server.  Unless the tech on duty was wasted or something.

-[Unknown]

Goosemoose

I could sure ask, what exactly do you want me to ask them to look for?

[Unknown]

Quote from: goosemoose on September 13, 2004, 02:03:06 AM
I could sure ask, what exactly do you want me to ask them to look for?

Well, one possibility might be someone contacting the forum many times per second over a period of more than a few minutes.  I was consider that almost a DoS attack, and that's why I asked you to check numViews - this has been done before by people with malicious intents to other forums, and can cause high load.

I'm also wondering how bad the load averages really were.  On this server, they're currently.. "load average: 0.34, 0.71, 0.66" which, while not totally ideal of course (they used to be lower, strangely...) are perfectly fine.  Your first post, at least, made it sound like your account was disabled for fear of physical damage to the server.  For this, I might expect the load averages to be higher than 20 or so - although, I am not by any means a linux expert.  Being able to see the load average might give me an idea of how bad the issue is.

You might also want to ask if there is ANYTHING your host change on your server in the last week.  It could be that they even changed some minor setting in php.ini - obviously, I don't think such could have caused high-load problems, but it's possible and moreover, it's a start.

Right now, because you say your forum was performing okay in the past and you were not shut down by your host before now, I have nothing else to really go on.  It would be considerably different if you knew your host had changed something, or if you had had some problems before... but sudden problems are a lot harder to track down.

Of course, there is another question too (but I assume you've already asked yourself this..) have *you* changed anything in SMF's configuration or an .htaccess file in the past while yourself?  I doubt that's a problem either... but again, it may at least be something to go off of.

-[Unknown]

A.M.A

would not 'persistent connection' when activated on a non DS causes a high load!
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Goosemoose

Okay the forum is in maintenance mode and they have turned mysql back on. According to the tech there have been no changes over the past weel that he is "aware of". It's at http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc if you want to take a look at it. I am still not taking it out of maintenance mode yet though.

Goosemoose

Okay, I took it out of maintenance mode and all looks ok. Note that I still made no changes to the site or db.

Goosemoose

Strike that, they took it down within 5 minutes of it being out of mainentance mode, it started doing the same thing.

[Unknown]

Have you considered upgrading to RC1?

-[Unknown]

Goosemoose

I'm in the process of doing it right now. I had uploaded my beta 4 files on accident so now I'm going back up then to RC1. Do you think that will fix the problem? Has anyone else had anything similar?

[Unknown]

Well, the search functionality was a bit slower than desirable in Beta 5.  Still, if you had no problems until now it doesn't make any sense.

-[Unknown]

Goosemoose

Well I upgraded to RC1 and turned off maintenance mode and the forum crashed the server as soon as it was taken out of maintenance mode. I saw it myself as I could load the first few pages then it started going slower and slower until smf told me the db connection was lost. The host claims nothing has changed recently and I know I haven't changed any files for months. Does anybody have any other ideas? They are telling me now that they probably won't turn it back on.

Grudge

You 100% sure that persistant connections isn't somehow on?
I'm only a half geek really...

Goosemoose

I just checked and smf has persistent connection unchecked

Tony Reid

It sounds like an issue with the server to me.

I'd move hosts.
Tony Reid

[Unknown]

If you want to give me FTP access I'll try to figure out what's eating load...?

-[Unknown]

Goosemoose

Quote from: Ben_S on September 12, 2004, 07:03:35 PM
I imagine the problem is they use something crappy like Ensim which comes with MySQL 3x and they for whatever reason cant/wont upgrade to MySQL 4x themselves.
Yup , they were using Ensim!

Amacythe

You say they were using Ensim, does this mean they have upgraded or are going to?

Goosemoose

well they still are using it but I moved mine to another server running plesk where i have my own virutual server, where everything seems to be running okay, though a bit slow.

[Unknown]

Quote from: goosemoose on September 16, 2004, 01:33:54 AM
well they still are using it but I moved mine to another server running plesk where i have my own virutual server, where everything seems to be running okay, though a bit slow.

Can I see a phpinfo?  MySQL version information (not the stuff on the phpinfo!)?

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: