News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

verification code brings down apache

Started by risk, May 06, 2007, 03:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

risk

first time installing an SMF,
i did a 1.1.2 version download, untared created a database, and whenever a user tries to register thus viewing the verification code, image generation never completes. and the apache process blocks eating up huge amounts of memory, starts with 40M about 4M/s and seems to never end which is strange since  php.ini memory_limit = 16M .
I'm using apache 2.2.4 mpm-worker, php 5.2.1 with threads enabled and bundled gd 2.0.28 compatible (freetype 2.1.10).

I need to pinpoint the culprit ie. part in the code that's doing this. Is adding asserts as checkpoints in code a proper way to do this, is there a function implemented in smf that I could use ?

青山 素子

Try using Apache with prefork, I don't think gd is thread-safe and that might be causing part of the problem.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

risk

Sources/Subs-Graphics.php
$fontcord = @imagettftext($code_image, $font_size, $angle, $font_x, $font_y, $char_color, $fontface, $character['id']);

it stops on this one every time.
I've put a syslog(LOG_DEBUG,"checkpoint 1"); before and syslog(LOG_DEBUG,"checkpoint 2"); after and I always get to checkpoint1 and never to checkpoint 2.

mpm-worker has worked nice for me for a long time. I'd like if I could keep it somehow.

it's 1 am local time and I'm drunk, so I'll check the arguments tomorrow,
ttyl guys.

青山 素子

Remove the @ before the line and see what happens. (That is used to suppress error messages that could cause a corrupt image)
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

risk

removing the @ error suppresion didn't help much, still no output, it just hangs.

added this before the function callsyslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($code_image));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($font_size));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($angle));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($font_x));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($font_y));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($char_color));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($fontface));
syslog(LOG_DEBUG,serialize($character['id']));

and it gave me this in the logs May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: i:0;
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: i:18;
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: i:-11;
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: i:102;
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: i:31;
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: i:228;
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: s:72:"/home/fiore/-censored-.com/forum/Themes/default/fonts/Screenge.ttf";
May  7 09:58:28 batou apache2: s:1:"N";

I can't see anything out of the ordinary apart from $code_image not being serializable because it's a resource (dunno if it should return i:0 though).

Workaround:
So what I did was comment out that line, which actually simulated a clean failure. The rest of the script could then resume and fall back and voila, the image verification works.

I still don't understand why it failed.

青山 素子

Yeah. Awfully strange, and I don't think anything short of a session with gdb would help determine the cause.

My guess is something broken with freetype.
Motoko-chan

risk

Solution:
Actually, it turns out the bug was in gd or php itself.
Instead of using gd bundled with php, I recompiled php with support for external gd, and installed gd 2.0.34 (instead of 2.0.28 with the same freetype included) and now it works. imagettftext actually returns a usable resource.

青山 素子

Glad to hear it works.

If you used a distribution-specific package, you might want to file a bug on it so the developers there can fix it.
Motoko-chan

risk

great idea.
I just filed a bug report to gentoo bugzilla with a proposed solution.
Besides all the info mentioned there, I've put a link to this thread too.
It would be interesting to see how soon it will be closed.

Advertisement: