My opinion on SMF

Started by Golden_Helmet, September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

Personally, I have no great determination to "beat" phpBB. I think more than one forum software can exist, and infact one solution rarely fits everyone. I'm all up for supporting all software which is developed for people for free - of course I would like to see SMF take some of the phpBB users mind you :P
I'm only a half geek really...

Anguz

Everyone is invited to contribute with mods for SMF! Try your hand at it. Soon you'll be able to have in your SMF whatever you're missing from phpBB. Mods will grow in number as time passes, and the speed at which that happens will drastically increase after the public release of version 1.0.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

yexusbeliever

Quote from: Anguz on November 15, 2004, 04:49:46 AM
Everyone is invited to contribute with mods for SMF! Try your hand at it. Soon you'll be able to have in your SMF whatever you're missing from phpBB. Mods will grow in number as time passes, and the speed at which that happens will drastically increase after the public release of version 1.0.

SMF team is a great people of kindness! 

I like to make mods if I understand php script enough.  I do not know the basics to take it on yet.  I am currently worrying about learning two languages, better not add a computer language with that yet.  Wait until I am competent in those two languages, I will like to help make mods.  There are so many mods I want smf to have.

codenaught

I can't really see how the phpBB community helps more then the SMF community here. I have gotten much help here where people are willing to spend there own time just to enhance my board. Plus I used to be a big part of the phpBB community (around version 2.03) where I had around 900 posts, I remember coming back there awhile later and trying to help people and getting yelled at by a moderator for no good reason. Also many mods for phpBB are standard features in SMF and SMF has a decent selection of mods.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

destalk

I looked at Invision Board and found it to be kind of old and cranky. vBulletin seems to be the top dog in terms of features and even ease of use (from a customisable point of view), but I haven't looked at it enough to be fair.

The others are all much of a muchness. I think the best of the best is Web X based forums. The technology is horrible and extremely complicated to use, but it's functionality and user interface is wonderful. It's also very very expensive.

I'm very very impressed with SMF, though, and I think as it grows and more themes and mods are developed, it will do well.  I just wish I could customise it more without having to get my hands dirty with PHP. I'm just an incurable WYSIWYG designer I'm afraid.  ;D

johnm

i looked at phpbb,invision board,e-blah,vbulletin and loads of other forums and as i have only just started to run my own forums, i have decided to learn php wich is all going pretty wel at the moment.

considering i didnt really have a clue on how to install any thing like this on a web server (knew how to use ftp and the very basics) this was the easiest and quickest one to install, pleanty of mods and good ones i might add. and most of all pleanty of help from the smf comunity.
I'd just like to add that SMF was the only forum that actually worked first time with out any chmoding or messing about with the files manually.

i have allready got to the stage where some times if im applying a mod and i get a  "failed" on one line ill open the files up see what needs adding/replacing and then just do that bit manualy!
of course back the original files up, then modify. SMF's forums are just so much easier to modify if you mess things up post it here and before you know it some one is helping you sort it out.

SMF is simlpy the best.

Midgard

Whitney Houston: i will always love SMF

8)

Kirby

SMF is the best forum software ever IMO, and its themes system (especially action wrapping! thats genius!) and ease of modification make it even better!

Nidoking

Quote from: Kirby on January 05, 2005, 06:32:26 PM
SMF is the best forum software ever IMO, and its themes system (especially action wrapping! thats genius!) and ease of modification make it even better!
I concur.

Midgard

I will not work for SMF, my jobs now on YabbSE

Peter Duggan

_complex

Jerry

Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 06, 2005, 02:25:04 PM
Quote from: Midgard on January 06, 2005, 01:37:46 PM

Huh? ???
Quote from: nviceversa on January 06, 2005, 03:11:28 PM
Quote from: Peter Duggan on January 06, 2005, 02:25:04 PM
Quote from: Midgard on January 06, 2005, 01:37:46 PM

Huh? ???

I think hes mad....
He had some icons of andrea's in his latest theme and got in a little trouble with andrea for it, and decided to stop doing things here. . . he removed his mods, and theme.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

MrFlicks

I love SMF as like some of those above I am still very new to all things on the web and could not get any of the other forums active and operable as easily. SMF is super cool  8)  I set up www.tvworlds.com with a few clicks of the mouse in Fantastico in my cpanel hosting interface.

I stumbled upon SMF by chance and as I have many domains will be setting up various forums over the coming months.

It will be nice to help get the word out about this and I for one will be doing so.  I am also about to set up www.l-earner.com which will be a site for Teaching people ways to make money online and I will be putting an SMF forum at www.l-earner.com/forum real soon.  I will have a Category reffering to SMF from the start!
MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

Trekkie101

I like Midgard hes kinda cool, weird i grant you but cool none the less.

Jerry

Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 08, 2005, 01:44:34 PM
I like Midgard hes kinda cool, weird i grant you but cool none the less.
random but yes he is a good person :)
Quote from: MrFlicks on January 08, 2005, 11:36:25 AM
I love SMF as like some of those above I am still very new to all things on the web and could not get any of the other forums active and operable as easily. SMF is super cool 8) I set up www.tvworlds.com with a few clicks of the mouse in Fantastico in my cpanel hosting interface.

I stumbled upon SMF by chance and as I have many domains will be setting up various forums over the coming months.

It will be nice to help get the word out about this and I for one will be doing so. I am also about to set up www.l-earner.com which will be a site for Teaching people ways to make money online and I will be putting an SMF forum at www.l-earner.com/forum real soon. I will have a Category reffering to SMF from the start!
Good luck with your forums!

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

MrFlicks

TY  I will go and see about upgrading the L-Earner.com/foum I set up yesterday in a bit!
MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

Laurens

Just installled SMF, mainly because I needed something to put on my site.

I was actually amazed how easy using SMF is. I also use IPB and those who use or have used ipb know it can be a pain in the ass to figure everything out. Even installing a skin, especially with both my servers using safe mode, proves to be a problem at times. Something that isn't an issue with SMF. I also like how easy it is for people unfamiliar with a forum to use the controlpanel.

Really really good. Now all you need is an image gallery  ;D

Trekkie101

Its possible to bridge with Coppermine which is an image gallery.

Laurens

Had that once, i chucked it away because i hated the complicated cp.  8)

Advertisement: