News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My opinion on SMF

Started by Golden_Helmet, September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiribulus

Quote from: alan1979 on February 17, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
<<< The Community support i recieve on here nearly everyday is unparaleled.  >>>

You'd be lucky to get paid support this good in a lot of cases. Take it from somebody with 10 years of corporate PC support (Ford Motor Company) under his belt who knows. There are some folks floating around here with frightening skills in the relevant areas who are also very free about sharing them.

silvios

Understand that IF this forum goes start selling it, alot of the supporters will leave. IPB is a prime example as they started free.

I havent fully taken a look at this forum, which i am doing now. Just tried phpBB and, holy ******.. it sucks. no offense to phpbb.. but ******.. templates and adding mods is a royal pain in the ass. (Now this can just be me, so please try them out for yourself.)

I have been using IPB for a few years now, and havent had any complaints and i tried SMF a while ago and didnt like it, but things improve. So i figure why not try it again.

When you start selling software it is harder to get volunteers to help you, since your making money people want to be paid. So this amazing support could go else where. Who knows.

IF this software ever starts selling, i would suggest possibly considering leaving it free for those with smaller forums, or those not profiting from it. Or even selling it to them for a lower cost. Of course personally i would want it to be free, but i know how much it can cost to start up a site. and the bigger the site the more money your paying for servers. licenses, domains, SSL certificates, bandwidth, it adds up

babjusi

Quote from: silvios on September 08, 2009, 10:00:33 AM
Understand that IF this forum goes start selling it, alot of the supporters will leave. IPB is a prime example as they started free.

I havent fully taken a look at this forum, which i am doing now. Just tried phpBB and, holy ******.. it sucks. no offense to phpbb.. but ******.. templates and adding mods is a royal pain in the ass. (Now this can just be me, so please try them out for yourself.)

I have been using IPB for a few years now, and havent had any complaints and i tried SMF a while ago and didnt like it, but things improve. So i figure why not try it again.

When you start selling software it is harder to get volunteers to help you, since your making money people want to be paid. So this amazing support could go else where. Who knows.

IF this software ever starts selling, i would suggest possibly considering leaving it free for those with smaller forums, or those not profiting from it. Or even selling it to them for a lower cost. Of course personally i would want it to be free, but i know how much it can cost to start up a site. and the bigger the site the more money your paying for servers. licenses, domains, SSL certificates, bandwidth, it adds up

The Smf Leading has been very firm on the software remaing free, so no worry there.

sshahnawaz

I say SMF is the best solution I have ever seen for creating and managing a forum or a community website. It has all the tools and enhancements one can imagine...  :D
How to Make Money Online - Urdu Description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Deggh2ZxNE

orelanic

Quite simply I think SMF is the best forum software I have used. :D
Lots of thanks to the team and the comunity :)
www.therapyworld.net
TLC for minds

nextz77

Just my opinion, I`m using SMF too with one reason because its free and I didnt afraid if SMF will be an old fashion because they have team that develop SMF to be better in each version.

orelanic

I just like to offer my congrats to the team, I have tried other forums and this one rocks, it easy to install and a nice speedy forums to boot :)

Just waiting for the new final release before going nuts :)
www.therapyworld.net
TLC for minds

sshahnawaz

How to Make Money Online - Urdu Description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Deggh2ZxNE

Wolflux

SMF is the absolutely best forum software I have ever used. Not only does it come with powerful tools and excellent efficiency, it's also very secure and flexible!

I've been running stress tests on a LAN server, just to test how much stress the forum software can handle and no matter what I did, the software didn't disappoint.
That is why I'm also coding my own website to function intimately with SMF; it's the safest thing I could do for it.

I recommend SMF to everyone who wants to run a community forum of any kind!

Kamali

I have used UBB, which seems quite limited from what the Admin has said of the Admin CP.

I have admined PHBPP, and while the older version was okay, I hate the latest version - talk about confusing!! 

I have forums with InvisionFree, they use an old version of IPB, and the software is great.  I also have a bought IPB forum, the software is bang up to date and it was great until the latest version which has made me realise that it is time to move on from IPB.  :(

Now I am making a new forum for a group of friends.  I tried the new 'ZetaBoard' software, and it's dreadful.

I looked at vBulletin, and I have to admit I loved it.  The Admin CP is very like the old IPB Admin CP.  Just as I had decided on paying $180 for a vBulletin licence, someone mentioned SMF.

So, I had a look round, saw that people liked it, saw a couple of screenshots.  Couldn't find a demo version so gave up on the idea.

Then I found a free (advert-supported) site that uses SMF, so I registered for a site so I could check out the Admin CP.  A couple of hours later, I knew that SMF was for me.  It has the simplicity of the old IPB versions, the clean look of vBulletin, so many mods and skins that people seemed to have no trouble installing, and a friendly helpful help forum.

So I got some webspace, installed SMF - quaking all the way, as this is all way beyond anything I've tried before - applied mods, applied skins, need to figure out how to do fix something (which is why I'm here in the help forum, lol, trying to find out how to fix a bit of the skin to the right of the logo that is the old grey colour instead of the new green one), and can only say that based on all my forum experience so far:  SMF is right up there with the best of them!  :D

Actually, I am so impressed I am considering terminating my contract with Invision when it runs out and changing to SMF.  I saw converters mentioned somewhere, so it should be possible to convert IPB to SMF.

Great work by everyone involved, and I'll be making a donation very soon.   :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Welcome to SMF Kamali. :) I have to say it is always a pleasure reading feedback like yours.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kamali

Thanks for the welcome, Lex - it was a pleasure for me to be able to write such positive feedback.   :D

sshahnawaz

I found a great gesture here.   :)
I am seriously thinking on how to write next time to be appreciated by LexArma.....  ;)

YogiBear

My only grumble about SMF is I wish Mod Authors would automatically include UTF-8 support or at least language packs which can be installed via the packet manager.

Otherwise, SMF is light years ahead of the opposition.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Arantor

Mod authors can add English UTF-8 support easily enough, though other languages may be difficult; mod authors may not know how to get transliterations/transcoding working.

As for language packs via the package manager... interesting idea.

x86cam

I have never heard of smf until
I saw mattmakesgames.com/forum [nofollow] last year,
a couple months later I was wanting to build a forum, I started out with PhpBB(Sucks) and then Forumotion..... At summer break of 2009... I did not want ones that were on domains like yourname.forumotion.com [nofollow] so I started looking up some forums... I discovered mattmakesgames forum. I was looking in the top right corner(IDontKnow..) and I saw simplemachines. So I searched simplemachines and I found this website, not the community... I downloaded the SMF 1.1.10 software and then I set it up. My forum has currently no members on it. But I want people to join. Look at the forum http://igeek.netau.net/forum [nofollow] hosted with 000webhost.

Liam.

To those comments back in December... Aren't I to believe that one part of the Customization Site upgrades was to bring SMF's translators closer to the mod authors?

GarryRicketson

It is great that SMF free, and also all the open source software, which in so may cases is better, then paid or purchased software.
Something I have hard time understanding, though, is why so many people are "down" on any one useing free hosting, or any forums, useing free hosts ?---seems contradictory,..to me,..but thats normal I uasually am confused about everything.
from Garry

mashby

SMF is software. Hosting is hardware and control of the environment that your site lives on. I don't have anything against free hosting at all but I also don't use it nor do I mind paying for hosting. Makes it a more comfortable environment for me. To each his or her own.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Illori

a lot of people find that free hosting has too many restrictions and they can use issues as well.

Advertisement: