Started by Golden_Helmet, September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman's Mixen

i.ve read the whole thing and have to say SMF is awesome for us all
especially some great thanx to our team like the old yabbse team

don't know how to call it in english !!

zef hemel --> founder of yabb.pl and so on
unknown and compuart for developing !!
maybe there will be others if i had forgot you !! excussme !!

if cvs i maybe can help the community ! whil i am developing my own dutch package server for it !!

and unknown !!

bedankt voor alles weet namelijk dat je beetje nederlands spreekt;/schrijft !!
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

X-Ception

Well by reading the entire dribble i was referring to my post only - hope i did not cause any confusions there :)
Joolo.net social community and irc network / Yowzar - random subject forum

MrFlicks

No Confusion there x-ception

The message was still SMF Rocks!
MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

Miraenda

I have known about SMF since over a year ago when I initially installed a copy of Mambo (MOS) and was reading on their site forum to determine what forum to use on that installation.  At the time, I went with phpBB for the MOS site I had, resulting in a bunch of issues with the integration, so I then went with Simple Board instead (a forum just for Mambo).  The MOS forum mentioned SMF as being an offshoot of YaBBSE and I had a relatively low opinion of YaBB and YaBBSE as I thought they were basically the same thing.  As a service representative for a hosting company and then later on a system admin for the company (the position I have now), we have had load-related issues with people running YaBB on the servers and have basically put a moratorium on its usage entirely. 

Not wanting to make assumptions about SMF being as load intensive as YaBB (nor having used YaBBSE either to see if that had similar issues), I did look over the forum here last year and put it on a list of forums to check out later.  After one of my phpBB boards was hacked last year, I began looking more in-depth into various forums to install and test as I was planning a series of sites for my writings I wanted to get online (also, I own about 40 domains, and should use them for something lol).  Initially, I was going to go with punBB, but then after the testing of the various forums for ease of use, available features, administrative capabilities, load on the server, and speed of display, I decided to use SMF.  The biggest part in my decision was also the theme I found here (Simplicity) that I absolutely fell in love with, so kudos to Bloc for that

I also mentioned in another thread about creating a feature list to compare several forums.  If anyone at all would like this and would like to provide suggestions on features to compare to be included in the list, please PM me.  I am working on it now, and I am going to compare the out of the box default installation for the most recent versions for those forums.

I guess the gist of my overly long post is that SMF is the best forum I have ever used from a user and admin standpoint.  I've used and tested several in the last 6 months, and I am a long-time phpBB user (over 2.5 years) for comparison to that forum.  SMF beats them all in my opinion. :D

makehimbeg

Wow in my opinion, there is no comparison between any other forum and SMF.

I've used IPB - when it was free
PhpBB
XMB

Truly, there are so many things that make SMF the best.. its unreal. Even though I've had my share of problems while trying to update/upgrade via the package manager... it is NOTHING like the problems I had with previous boards.

I used to run XMB on a fansite and when I went to upgrade the forums, it screwed up the WHOLE database and I had to start clean.. that is when I discovered SMF. Thank GOD.

xd3vilx

Ipb Have Become Greddy And Charge Money For Their Programme...*Sigh* That Why I Change To Smf... I Realise It Is About The Same With Smf But Smf Have Better Function...

Shadow's Pawn

I was a YaBBSE man.  I had spent a good part of almost two years modifying the code to suit my own needs.  Because of this, I was a bit leery about switching to SMF and losing all my modifications... however, I finally took the plunge yesterday and switched over.

SMF is awesome.  There are a lot of features that I had coded into my YaBBSE forum, like child boards for instance, that are standard in SMF.  There are a couple features that it doesn't have, but luckily the code is easy to read.

All my users are very happy with the switch to SMF.  It's similar enough to YaBBSE that they aren't all lost, and packed with enough new features that they all love the change.  So many of the new features have been mentioned by them, but they especially like the spell check, multiple attachments per post and how it warns you if someone posted while you were writing your reply.

Anyway, in summary, I just want to send a big Thank You to the SMF crew.  Great job guys.

oohdale

Could it be that where you have your forum hosted at is really the secret?

I used to use hxxp:www.rackshack.net [nonactive] and they were always hounding me about bandwidth. Where do you all host your forums at? 

Miraenda

Well, I'm not sure how it would even be a secret.  You can go to http://centralops.net/co/ and click on "Domain Dossier" on the left, then check "domain whois record", "DNS records" and "network whois record" and enter any domain here in anyone's post or profile in domain.com format (so for example simplemachines.org you could enter) in the "domain or IP address" field, then click the "go" button.  Scroll down after the page fully loads to the DNS records part and you will see the nameservers listed.  This basically tells you who hosts a domain. 

Mine are hosted at ev1servers.net (although in the DNS you'd actually need to look at the SOA or the PTR to see it for mine).  I have other accounts at the webhost where I work as a server admin (Lunarpages) that I have SMF testing on.  Why would you think where we host our forums is a secret?

Burpee

I actually quite like this one:
http://whois.sc/simplemachines.org

Just remove the "www." in front of the domain and replace it by "whois.sc/", and you're there, plus it gives loads of information :P

Miraenda

Yeah, that is why I dont like it b/c it is too easy to find info on anyone and their domains...spiders could use it to cull phone numbers because they aren't protected as well as addresses as it is a huge, non private repository of your domain info...I refuse to use it for that reason :P

Burpee

It's not like it's going to go away if you don't use it... :P

And anyway, all that information is always going to be public and it is public by nature, whether you like it or not.
If you're that paranoid, host them under another company's name, but don't complain about them not protecting your private information because this is one of the sites that actually protects your email address, whereas most others don't, Danielle ;D

Miraenda

Quote from: Burpee on April 20, 2005, 01:52:57 PM
If you're that paranoid, host them under another company's name, but don't complain about them not protecting your private information because this is one of the sites that actually protects your email address, whereas most others don't, Danielle ;D

Yep, that is my real name, although I go by Dani instead then if you are going to use that

Also, I think they protect the email address so they will get less complaints by people due to how quickly and easily it loads.   Otherwise, people would really get up in arms about it. :P

Yeah, I know me not using them won't make them go out of business, but it is my own little "protest" against what I see as a bad methodology and ease of information provided that shouldn't be.  There are less common sites that do it, but they are the most highly trafficked one. ;)

Anyway, back to the point in that people aren't hiding their hosts where their forums are located overall and I don't think they would be.  Bandwidth on mine wouldn't even cause me to need the dedicated plan I have, it is instead me wanting greater control to break stuff :D

DRGather

QuoteYep, that is my real name...

Thought I recognized your username on here.  I used to host with Lunarpages.  Glad to see you out and about in the community at large.

Panache Web

My first post and the most appropriate place to put it too.

I have been using yabb on my chruches website. after a few months I noticed topics came back as being unread when I knew they were read.  :(

nothing personal against it really, its quick cut and simple, however its cgi and not php.  IMPO I feel that cgi and pl are old school and are out dated in this day and age online. CGI/Pl lack the capabilities of php and are not as dynamic. Mind u this is my personal opinion.

I started to play with SMF about a month ago on my developmental server, testing a few things out and so forth.. looked at the ease of use, and how simple it is to setup, install and config. super simple!!. I have spent the time to use most every other major forum out there, and have found that their admin centres are just loaded or lite depending on the forum with either too much crap or not enough stuff.

SMF admin center is simple to use. The packages manager is sweet, installing from the web right to the site?? DAMN!! that is just fly really... now many others just dont have that. I looked at that and went whoa that is sweet.. Had to check it out and figured why not.. it worked simple.

Although I have to say though it would be really cool if it were done to the themes section as well.

I can not say enough good things about SMF, as I have used most the other big name ones, and a few low name ones and this is the best...

I am considering bridging this into Mambo on my personal site, now if I could just find the right link here I would be set.

I Give SMF six Stars!!

MJ

dtm.exe

onnela

Sorry. I can't speak good english... How I can do my own SMF?  ???

[Unknown]

You need your own hosting.  After that, follow the readme included in the download.

-[Unknown]

SaltedWeb

On or about March 23, 2005 I switched from a 6 month long
and hard runs with a Phpbb Forum. Our group was about 27 members strong.
And gathered a few members here and there we were about to close the doors because the idea we had wasnt working. PHPbb was such a pain in the backside members didnt like surfing it, especially those on Dial up Crinched and blamed our server.

Well 1.5 months later after using SMF we are at about 250 strong and members joining everyday. Now some of you may say so what, a measly 250 ppl.  My answer to that is our County is bigger the state of NewYork and we only have a 100,000 ppl living in it. Thats how rural we are. And the county seat is only 19,000 ppl. So do the math In a year we should be around 1400 member strong. in this small of an area.

I am one who is glad SMF is free, we run a free interactive network to help our community to supply services and ppl with items and basic needs.  And if we had to pay for this we couldnt afford what its worth.

So My opinion on Simple Machines and SMF, is that your Team may not realize how far your help and Software goes to help others.

So when I say thank you, know that our community is thankful for this as well.

Thank You

Paul

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Jorijn

SMF is by far the easyest board and with the coolest futures, I checked out the beta as my friend is charter member (only registerd at his forums) and noticed there are everywere small things i like, Like if you put up ur post cound, there appears leet or sumtin like that :P

I am running SMF for 2 months now, Installing is easy, Converting is even more easyer i came from phpBB and i am happy that i stept to SMF, U have a simple yet affactiv ACP. Since my other admins arent that much 'internet freaks'

And i notice that my members also like SMf , Its simple, Easy to use  but yet so full of futures

Keep up the great work SMF devopers! :D

Advertisement: