News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

My opinion on SMF

Started by Golden_Helmet, September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Quote from: GarryRicketson on June 20, 2011, 08:28:11 PM
Something I have hard time understanding, though, is why so many people are "down" on any one useing free hosting, or any forums, useing free hosts ?---seems contradictory,..to me,..but thats normal I uasually am confused about everything.

Software, like SMF, is a one-time acquisition investment. It has a fixed cost. Also, once you download a copy of the software, you "own" that copy of the software.

However, "free" hosting is an ongoing expense for the provider of the service. Nearly all of these services are funded by advertising revenue. As the costs are ongoing, and the revenue is coming from these other companies, you wind up not being the customer of these services. The people paying the bills are the customers. You are just the product that brings the eyes that help the revenue. Also, becuase the revenue stream is often so small in relation to the costs, the service level will be much poorer as the host needs to cut down expenses. That means heavily packed servers, very restrictive rules to restrict resource use, etc.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

theyunus

Whoever runs that SMF board (currently at position 105) needs to update its profile

totook

i like it free!because i m not as rich as others! yeah!

Advertisement: