News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

My opinion on SMF

Started by Golden_Helmet, September 21, 2004, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heather0506

free is sweet....that's all i have to say!!

baloothebear

I've finally switched hosts so now I get to run SMF! I happy as the proverbial pig and it's just so quick. Is there a bug tracker available so I can keep up to date with security announcements?

Dannii

Security updates are shown in your package manager, and you'll also receive an email, unless you turn that off ;)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

akalaze

Well have been with SMF since the beginnings and was a paying
customer with yabbse.

Today I just want to take the time to THANK YOU for a job well
done. I have been a sysadmin since the beginning of the web and
therefore dealt with countless bb systems or forums.

The best I ever encountered is certainly SMF. It's a breeze to
set up and administer.

Today I upgraded one of my larger forums (an adult community)
with over 400.000 page views per day within just 10 minutes incl.
a new theme.

The users love it and I will certainly use SMF in my next upcoming
big project.

Thanks again to the SMF team who makes a poor administrators life
a bit easier ;)

akalze

croniksoft

Just wanted to say thanks and please don't compare phpbb with smf.

The smf team kick ass just like the software   8)
i have a dream and you could be part of it

Prasad007

When it comes to forums,
SMF - Simply My Favorite :) :)

redone

I agree with Bloc. Btw nobody charges anything for Firefox.

:)

jordanpardy2863

:D I agree with whoever started this topic. I've been using Invsion Power Board for years..well..I started off with phpBB, but the design of it killed my poor innocent subSilver eyes, so I went with Invision.. I found that Invision Power Board 2.1.4 is kind of resource-eating, and slow loading as opposed to SMF. I really used to think the only three forum softwares were IPB, phpBB, and vBulletin.

My friend told me that he saw someone use SMF a while ago, but they switched to vBulletin..vBulletin is so expensive I couldn't afford it, so I decided I have nothing to lose by trying SMF.

The interface is excellent, I finally fuigured out the difference between 1.0.6 and 1.1 RC2  :P The community forums are great, and the posting screen is awesome.

And..what I couldn't believe is IT'S FREE![/u]

How could a forum software this good be free, I said to myself? Well, I think that the people that coded this forum software did a great job, and thanks!

:D

Thunderace

What a nice post Jordan.

And a reminder to me .. I've been enjoying the excellence of SMF for so long a reminder that it is indeed free never hurts  ;D

jordanpardy2863

Quote from: Thunderace on January 29, 2006, 04:38:52 PM
What a nice post Jordan.

And a reminder to me .. I've been enjoying the excellence of SMF for so long a reminder that it is indeed free never hurts  ;D

Lol..I'm having major problems now and my head is blowing up. :(

JayBachatero

Make a post in the support board and one of the Team member will take a look at it  when any one of us get's a chance :)
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

revolink24

Quote from: Chris G. on October 24, 2004, 10:49:21 AM
vBulletin > Despise.
phpBB > Dislike.
IPB > Like.
SMF > Love.

My favorite part of SMF, hands down, is that it's fully customizable--from CSS right down to the core HTML.  Keep up the good work! :D
Why do you hate vB so much?

LaBamba

Stuart

I'm extremely happy and pleased with SMF. It's the best forum software ever  :D

Vexorian

I just found this board by accident because it turns out code::blocks ' site used it for forum software.

So far I am impressed and shocked by all the features and the fact it is free.

I've been administrating (and hacking) a site with vB and I can asure you that this software's speed is lightning speed compared to vB.

I'd want to know though if this software allows attachments and if so if there is any way to test them?

dtm.exe

Quote from: Vexorian on February 22, 2006, 11:31:33 PM
I'd want to know though if this software allows attachments and if so if there is any way to test them?

As a default feature?  Absolutely :).

http://support.simplemachines.org/demo/index.php

Anguz

Quote from: dtm.exe on February 22, 2006, 11:44:42 PM
http://support.simplemachines.org/demo/index.php

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

But so you can see it works, Vexorian, here's an attached file (not everyone in this forum has the permission, though, so you may not see the option in the post form).
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

InterxWeb

Im glad i decided to choose smf, the community and the staff ar ejsut great people, among all it being free helps me most because i cant afford some vbull crap at 150$ a lisecene, they may be "great" but there notihng compared to a well figured community like this. Keep up the good work :)

Dr. Jones

i managed to just now discover this thread, but figured i should throw my 2¢ in...

SMF ROCKS!

i used phpBB for the longest time and loved it, but had to find some mod to do child boards, and it still didn't work like i wanted it to.  then one of my forum members suggested that i try SMF because of the various security issues with phpBB... i tried it and i'm never going back :D

i also used to administer the 2KSports Forums [nofollow] and had a nightmare of a headache when someone actually exploited a security hole to make themselves an admin and "demote" all the real admins.  i don't do the board administration any more (though i still work for the company), but if i did i would recommend a conversion to SMF :P

i'm an admin on another forum that uses IPB, and quite frankly, i hate it ::) - but the guy who runs it just absolutely swears by it, and he's paying for the hardware, domain, and B/W so whatever.  personally i think he's just so enamored with it because he spent $185 on the license *g*

Prosperous

My first reply to this topic and on this forum, I thought I'd make it here since I am thinking of using SMF.

In my past, I have used a lot of forum software for a lot of my past websites/forums. Proboards, Invisionfree, phpBB, Invision Power Board v1.3.1, you name it. I have owned practically all forum software, apart from the big runners such as the new IPB v2 range and vBulletin. My favourite consisted of IPB/Invisionfree, and those were the ones I used mostly. Lately, I have used phpBB as I was told it was the best software to go for. Some problems I have come across are mainly in the installation of modifications and various other minor things which can make a forum bling out from the rest. I have only recently become a genius I guess in installing skins for phpBB forums, however, it did take me a long time and a lot of patience to get to it. Why would or should a forum be hard to install tweaks that can mean the difference between a good forum and a bad forum? Why would a free forum be like this? I have also heard about the various security flaws and holes in phpBB's software, and this has made me aware and I am now looking at another forum software to use. I prefer a free forum, as I don't have enough money at the moment to pay for an IPB license or vBulletin license. I might still just stick with the free forum even if I do have enough money to pay for it.

SMF popped into my head. I have heard various reviews of it on a lot of forums, main one being the Admin Zone (http://www.theadminzone.com). Even though I am still getting peoples input, I am sort of leaning towards SMF. The things that are offered here are of an A+ standard, and the SMF team are continually doing things to make the services better, either in modifications and security to graphics and other sectors.

Even though I am not an SMF user (YET), I just wanted to say that everyone that is contributing to SMF are really doing a great job. Keep up the good work everyone and I look forward to using your software soon! You will know once I have made up my mind. ;D
PorkoWogVisit UsContact

Looking for or in need of free or paid hosting?
Please contact me now or visit the link above for my very own hosting service.

Advertisement: