News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Welcome Topic

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, May 07, 2007, 09:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bass_Chaz

Instead of {username} can I show the membername instead?

vbgamer45

Not at this time. Since only the username is able to be chosen on registration and not their displayname
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Bass_Chaz

But if they can choose a membername and the database has that info, could it not be displayed?

I require all users to have a username AND a display or membername name.

(but now that I look closer its not a requirement...)

I'd prefer to show the display or membername as it could get REALLY confusing to the membership as to who is who...

vbgamer45

Could be done but require the mod to be modified at this time their is no built in feature of SMF to change the display name on registration
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Bass_Chaz

Thanks vbgamer45..

So many variables and so many ideas.....  ;D

ChaosEnergy

wouldnt it be nice to automatically send a PM/email to the user, with a customized text, that there is a welcome post for him..and that he may introduce himself at this point...
Chaos Empire ®

vbgamer45

Maybe but there is already a pm on registration mod

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ChaosEnergy

surely, but this pm on registration mod cant know the topic id of the created welcome topic..so it cant be mailed

and mailing a...look into that board..there you will find...is somewhat unprofessional, isnt it?
Chaos Empire ®

vbgamer45

I can code it definitely but if you need it right away it would have to be paid since I have a lot of other projects on my plate at the moment.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

ChaosEnergy

there are some other things i need more at the moment, i will invest first in this, but will come back to you later
Chaos Empire ®

Pawan

While using {username} in subject error is coming in RC2

Spoogs

Quote from: pawan2002 on January 11, 2010, 01:09:53 PM
While using {username} in subject error is coming in RC2
In RC2 you should use [username]

vbgamer45

Correct {username} is reserved in RC2 you need to use [username] instead

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kimmie

ok this may be a dumb question..lol but Im gonna ask it anyways.

I am confused as to the "IP Address" aspect of this and how it is supposed to work. I created a user account and is the one I have set up to post the welcome threads.

1.  The IP listed on the account profile says:
IP: 127.0.0.1
Hostname: localhost

2. However, the IP's that appear in each of the welcome threads is always different and is generally either the same IP as the member that just registered, or within that same range (however I have seen it show completely different ranges but were always the same ISP as the member).

When I look up the IP that appears on the profile page the info I get on it is

IP                  ISP                   Domain
127.0.0.1      LOOPBACK   STERLINGSTUDENTS.NET

So what gives? Just exactly how is this supposed to work and who are "sterlingstudents.net"?

vbgamer45

127.0.0.1 is your local ip address of your own computer/server. This is not a real ip address of a person.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kimmie

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 14, 2010, 07:34:26 PM
127.0.0.1 is your local ip address of your own computer/server. This is not a real ip address of a person.

k well that answers one question but still doesnt really explain to me how it works. :). Any idea who "sterlingstudents.net" is? I guess what I need to know is, what is the exact protocol of how the mod works? Why is it pulling my local pc ip? If it uses the new members IP to post the thread, then shouldnt it show that IP on the profile? (i.e. it would change with each new member that it makes a thread for). If this is the hosts local server ip, cant we get into trouble for that? Using their IP without permission I mean?

Sorry for all the questions.. just want to make sure I completely understand how it works. :)

DilSe

hello to all

install this mod Smf 2. RC2 . install successful but when regester new member  topic not create properly just coming topic title same like"Welcome To 12345.com-{username} not coming name new user how i fix this please help. thanks

vbgamer45

SMF 2.0 you need to use [] instead of {} so use [username]

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Afro

error

http://www.afrowall.com/index.php?action=welcome&sa=add2Invalid value inserted or no type specified.
Function: AddTopic2File: /var/www/vhosts/xxxxx/httpdocs/Sources/WelcomeTopic2.php
Line: 204

edit

seems to work with [username] instead of {username}

Advertisement: