Please help me. Forum was down, got fixed but now I can't make back up

Started by Janet, May 08, 2007, 08:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Hello,

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section or thread but I have been searching for a while and I can't find the answer. Our forum is down and this message appears:

File './smf/smf_sessions.MYD' not found (Errcode: 13)

We tried to repair the datebase but that didn't work. It said the operation got timed out. I don't know if it matters but I got the same error message with I tried to repair the database - File './smf/smf_sessions.MYD' not found (Errcode: 13)

Now we're trying to restore the database but so far, it doesn't look good. Please help us, we're desperate here.  We know that last night, Yahoo was down for a couple of hours. Can that be the problem?

We use SMF 1.1.2
http://www.julieandrewsonline.com/forum

Thanks in advance,
Janet.

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Hi There,

It seems the only problem you're having is a missing smf_sessions table. Repair shouldn't be timing out though - how are you trying to do this? phpMyAdmin?

You also mention that "yahoo was down for a couple of hours" - are you saying you're hosted by Yahoo?

Best Regards,
Christian A. Herrnboeck

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

Janet

Hi, I'm back.

The person who tried to repair it isn't online right now so I can't ask her. But yes, we're hosted by Yahoo. I'm in the MySQL Database Status -- I see a function there called "repair database".  I don't know if she tried that one, but can I run that program without risk?

Christian A. Herrnboeck

You can try it, but I don't know if it will help.

Do you have the option to drop a MySQL table, and the option to run SQL queries?

If so, "drop" the smf_sessions table, and then run this SQL query, to restore it:

CREATE TABLE smf_sessions (
        session_id char(32) NOT NULL,
        last_update int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
        data text NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY (session_id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Regards,
Christian

Janet

Thanks, I tried that, the head of the page shows but now I get the following error message:

File './smf/smf_log_online.MYD' not found (Errcode: 13)
File: /forum/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 2536

Now what? :(

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Wow... seems like they really did a number with your database.

Back to what we did last time.

drop the table "smf_log_online", and run this SQL:

CREATE TABLE smf_log_online (
  session char(32) NOT NULL default '                                ',
  logTime timestamp(14),
  ID_MEMBER mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  url text NOT NULL default '',
  PRIMARY KEY (session),
  KEY online (logTime, ID_MEMBER),
  KEY ID_MEMBER (ID_MEMBER)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Janet

Can I climb through this monitor and give you a big kiss? No? Well like this will do  :-*  YAY! It works!!!

If I can ask -- what caused this problem? You say "they did a number with your database" but what do you mean by that? Is it something I could have prevented?

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Hi,

Hehehe - thanks :-D Glad to see it's back up and running!

It really isn't something you can prevent. What happened is that some of the actual files, in which your database is stored, were deleted/un-owned, etc. So, since MySQL couldn't open them, you ran into that error.

I've seen this happen before, when there are transactions being run on a table, and either the MySQL server, or the physical server crashes. It's always a good idea to keep backups, because in this case, the tables that were inaccessible are only log / temporary ones. If this would have happened with your smf_posts, smf_topics, smf_settings, smf_members, etc. tables, you would have lost your posts, topics, settings, members, etc.

Best Regards,
Christian A. Herrnboeck

Janet

Thank you Christian, for your clear explanation. It totally makes sense! :)

I tried to make a back up, now the forum is working again, but again I get the "timed out" message when I try to do it from the admin center. It just won't work, it won't let me download the files. So, I looked in phpMyAdmin but I don't know how to do it from there.
What is the easiest way to make a back up?

Any advise for me about that would be very much appreciated. I don't want it to crash again  :'(

Alb4nian

Hello,

I have this problem today, i was optimizing my forum and it shows this error.

I fix the problem thanks to this topic but i want to know did i need to import my backup file from yesterday or droping and creating this table is all that i need to do? I want to know this table need data to insert it or no?

Sorry for my bad english!

N3RVE

Dropping and creating the tables is okay if they're tables that don't hold required data, e.g. smf_sessions, smf_log_online

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Advertisement: