Main Menu

SMFBlog

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, May 11, 2007, 08:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMFHacks.com Team

Link to the mod

SMFBlog: A (very) simple SMF blogging system

Introduction
It has been requested heaps, and now is finally available! SMFBlog is an extremely simple blogging system for SMF. Certain boards can be marked as "blog boards", and these boards will all be listed on the main blog page. Blog posts are topics in these boards, and comments are replies to these posts.

Installation
Simply install this package, and SMFBlog will be installed.
In order to use the pretty URLs, you'll need to rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess (yes, that's a dot as the first character). If you already have a .htaccess file, copy the entire contents of the htaccess.txt file to the end of it.

How do I use this mod?
Using this mod is extremely simple!
Firstly, specify one (or more) boards to be blog boards. This is done by editing the board, and ticking the "Use board as blog board?" option. You may add some new boards for this purpose :)

Once this is done, start posting new topics in that board!

Any topics in this board will appear in the blog

Support
Support for this mod is given in the mod topic at simplemachines.org

Changes in this release

----------
 - Added pagination to the "View Blog" page.
 - When you preview a reply, go back to the blog once the reply is posted.
 - Option to hide blog boards from board index.. Note: If you choose this option, the boards will be hidden from EVERYONE, including the blog owner. I suggest to bookmark the link to the board before enabling it!
 - Some minor bug fixes

0.1 Beta
--------
Initial public release (beta!).

0.0.1 Prerelease
----------------------
Internal name for all test versions before the official public beta.

Disclaimer: SMFHacks.com Team is not affiliated with the SMF Team or the SimpleMachines NPO.
SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF
Latest Mods:
Community Suite
Newsletter Pro SMF Gallery Pro SMF Classifieds SMF Store

spottedhog

Nice!

I found one possible mistake for installation.....  Unless my eyes deceive me,  in the ManageBoards.php file, the install.xml is putting "'is_blog' => 0," in twice.  (I can only find one instance of "'permission_mode' => 'normal',")

...just an observation..

christicehurst

Some errors below. I do have alot of mods installed too which could be a issue.

1. Extract File ./Sources/Blog.php 
2. Extract File ./Themes/default/Blog.template.php 
3. Extract File ./Themes/default/blog.css 
4. Execute Modification ./index.php Test successful
5. Execute Modification ./Sources/ManageBoards.php Test failed
6. Execute Modification ./Sources/ModSettings.php Test successful
7. Execute Modification ./Sources/Post.php Test successful
8. Execute Modification ./Sources/QueryString.php Test successful
9. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php Test failed
10. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs.php Test successful
11. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/index.template.php Test failed
12. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php Test successful
13. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php Test successful
14. Execute Code installScript.php
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

Daniel15

spottedhog, thanks for reporting that, I just noticed that as well :P. It was just an error due to me copying that bit of ManageBoards.php into the install.xml file twice. I'll fix it as soon as possible.

hristicehurst, which mods do you have installed at the moment?
Could you please send me your Sources/ManageBoards.php, Sources/Subs-Boards.php and Themes/default/index.template.php files?
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Exochat

is it TOPIC RATING mod?? it is just that i found that causes a Manage Boards and Sub Boards failure when trying to install the Shop MOD as well.

RoarinRow

Very cool!  Dang, I just installed Wordpress last week too.  Doh!

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

DrDom

hi,
I tried to install this mod on my local test setup using  xampp 1.4.16 and a fresh install of SMF 1.1.2 but it returned this error message
QuoteParse error: parse error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in C:\xampp\htdocs\Fresh\Packages\temp\installScript.php on line 40

[EDIT] forgot to mention I installed the "SSI Topic and Replies Mod" first
Regards

AussieBill

That's caused by a typo in the installScript.php - missing curly brackets.

Find:

$result = db_query("SHOW COLUMNS FROM {$db_prefix}{$db_field['table']} LIKE '$db_field['name']'", __FILE__, __LINE__);

Replace with:

$result = db_query("SHOW COLUMNS FROM {$db_prefix}{$db_field['table']} LIKE '{$db_field['name']}'", __FILE__, __LINE__);

I did that and it worked fine :)

DrDom

@AussieBill, thanks for the fix, it installs now, but I have another problem with it, I have created the blog board etc, but I get a server error, and the blog will not display, I followed the instructions for the .htaccess file but it still wont display.
This may not be an error with the mod, it could be with xampp not being setup correctly, but I am only guessing.
I'll wait and see how this developes before I try putting it on a live site.

AussieBill

I just got lucky figuring out that typo - I'm not an expert! :P

Anyway, there's another problem I noticed. I can only see the topics on the blog page if the blog board is set for guest access. Not complaining too much though, as I realize the mod is beta ;)

samozin

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING' in c:\appserv\www\2\Packages\temp\installScript.php on line 40

no pix for ur blog and u event use word press in ur site
no comment

shadow82x

Yes I also get

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/clandis/www/Packages/temp/installScript.php on line 40
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Daniel15

Sorry about the typo in installScript.php... It appeared right after testing was completed and I was finalising the release. I'll fix it right now.
Edit: Fixed. Please download the latest package, and it should work fine.

Quotebut I get a server error, and the blog will not display,
Does it work if you turn the pretty URLs off?
Please check your error log for any details (not the SMF error log, your server's error log. This is available in cPanel, under the "Error Log" option).

Quotethere's another problem I noticed. I can only see the topics on the blog page if the blog board is set for guest access.
That's a limitation of ssi_boardNews, which this mod uses internally. ssi_boardNews only gets posts from boards that allow guest access.
I'll eventually have an option to hide blog boards from the board index :)

Quoteu event use word press in ur site
My blog was set up in 2005, before the forum was even up! I have not yet installed this mod on my site (to be honest, I don't spend much time working on my site, I instead spend my time working on mods like this...)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

christicehurst

Here's the lists and the files are zipped.

Mod Name Version  
1. Display Age and Location next to posts 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
2. SMF Gallery Lite 1.6.4  [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
3. Item Pack Item Pack 1   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
4. SMF Shop - Jeeves The Butler 1.0.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
5. mMood 1.00  [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
6. SMFShop 3.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
7. Dice Roller for Your Forum 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
8. Modbreaktag 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
9. Avatar Maker 1.1 Final   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
10. Googlebot & Spiders Mod 2.0.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
11. Item Pack Item Pack 2   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
12. TinyPortal 0.983   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
13. Youtube Field by Alan S 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
14. Users Online Today Mod 1.3.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
15. Membergroup Color Legend 1.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
16. SMFPets 0.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
17. Enhanced Calendar 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
18. Subject Statistics In Subject 2   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
19. Increase/Decrease Postbox Size 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
20. SMF Staff Page 1.5.1   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
21. Avatar on Member List 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
22. Additional Membergroups on Profile 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
23. Tagging System 1.0.3   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
24. Avatars at Index Mod 1.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
25. SMF 1.1.1 Update Package 1.1.1   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
26. Welcome Topic Mod 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
27. Insurance Item 1.0   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
28. SMF 1.1.2 Update Package 1.1.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
29. SMF Arcade 2.0.8   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
30. SSI Topic and Replies 0.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
31. Spell Check Custom Words 1.0.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
32. Global Announcements 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
33. Karma Description Mod 2.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
34. Member Notepad 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
35. Monthly Statistics on Profile 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
36. SMF Gallery Lite 1.6.6   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
37. FontandSizeDropdown1.1 1.1   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
38. Invite 1.07   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]  
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

sharks

This is an excellent initiative Daniel15 :D Thank you so much for finally making a mod to exploit the (until now) untapped power of SMF as a blog platform! Have been waiting like eons for someone to come up with this... at some point even tried to code bits and pieces of it myself, but being a newbie about creating mods, never quite finished the implementation as well as you did. So... am really glad to finally see this mod being developed. Kudos to you and please keep up the great work. Can't wait for a stable version. yep, as you said, it's a modification awaited by quite a few ;)

cheers!

wilsy

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ssi_topic() (previously declared in /home/farnwort/public_html/SSI.php:1792) in /home/farnwort/public_html/SSI.php on line 2313

Hi Daniel,

I'm getting this error. I installed the blog, set up a new board for the blog - then I realised I had to install the SSI mod, so did this after installing the blog mod and then get the above error.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Wilsy.

Busy RewindBikers offered to Good Home! 1000+ members, loads of mods, SMF Gallery PRO, TinyPortal installed with great use of blocks, ultimate profiles, PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS (works flawlessly), great theme, 1,500 posts per month - PM or email me if interested.

Daniel15

christicehurst, I'll look into your problem when I have some free time :).

QuoteThank you so much for finally making a mod to exploit the (until now) untapped power of SMF as a blog platform!
No problem... Glad you like it! :D.

QuoteWould you be able to point me in the right direction?
It looks like the code for the SSI Topic and Replies mod has been inserted into SSI.php twice. Open SSI.php, and go to the very end of it. If the SSI Topic code is repeated twice, remove one of the duplicates.

L.G.S

Everything installed correctly but when I go into Blog then the forum name, it gives me a 404.

http://www.ruthlessintent.com/board/blog.html;a=blog

see
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

wilsy

Thanks Daniel,

You were right, that got the forum back up ;)

Now when I click on the blog I get: -

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ssi_shutdown() (previously declared in /home/farnwort/public_html/SSI.php:187) in /home/farnwort/public_html/SSI.php on line 189

Regards,

Wilsy.

Busy RewindBikers offered to Good Home! 1000+ members, loads of mods, SMF Gallery PRO, TinyPortal installed with great use of blocks, ultimate profiles, PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS (works flawlessly), great theme, 1,500 posts per month - PM or email me if interested.

DrDom

Quotebut I get a server error, and the blog will not display,
Does it work if you turn the pretty URLs off?
Please check your error log for any details (not the SMF error log, your server's error log. This is available in cPanel, under the "Error Log" option).
I checked  my XAMPP setup and mod rewrite wasnt turned on, I rectified that, and the Blog works fine now.

Thanks Daniel

Advertisement: