News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Merging YabbSE to a current SMF forum?

Started by bluevoodu, September 24, 2004, 10:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluevoodu

I have search this board for help topics for about 1+ hours last night.... I couldn't seem to find anything that helped with merging a SMF existing board into my SMF board.... here is a little more information.

I converted my YaBB Gold 1.3.1 board into YABBSE last night.  I wanted to get that YaBB gold merged with my SMF boards because I am consolidating all my sites into 1..... I am tired of managing 3 different sites.

Well... the conversion from Yabb gold to Yabbse worked flawlessly (Great script there!!!)

Now, my SMF board has about 59 members and nearing 16000 posts.  How can I merge the YABBSE forums into the SMF forums without screwing anything up?

AND how can I add the YABBSE theme that was created from my YaBB 1.3.1 gold board during the YaBB gold --> YABBSE  conversion?

Here are my boards:
www.egameaddicts.com/forums
www.egameaddicts.com/forum

They are both in maintenance mode to keep people from posting right now.

Thanks for your help!
†B†V†
We want you to join:
Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

A.M.A

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=16190.0
though you need it vice versa ..  merging two existing boards to one may need a special script.

I guess you can use phpMyAdmin to dumb DB1 and then insert it into DB2 .. not sure though about facing a duplication error for some fields.
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Peter Duggan

Quote from: bluevoodu on September 24, 2004, 10:54:19 AM
I have search this board for help topics for about 1+ hours last night.... I couldn't seem to find anything that helped with merging a SMF existing board into my SMF board.... here is a little more information.

From search string 'merge forums' (the first thing I tried):

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 25, 2004, 11:25:42 PM
It may be possible to merge forums in the future, but currently it is not possible.... well, not really - there are a lot of problems it causes.

Quote from: [Unknown] on June 14, 2004, 12:39:21 PM
Easy?  No, there is no easy way of doing that :/.

Not perhaps what you were hoping to hear but, since I remembered reading some of this stuff before, I thought I'd see how quickly I could dig it up for you! ;)

bluevoodu

LOL... thank you for making my 1 hour effort worthless  :)

SO, how do I go about doing this?
I know its vice verca of the document url posted here... but I need a solution if anyone can help.

Thanks,
†B†V†
We want you to join:

[Unknown]

You can merge your YaBB into a YaBB SE... but not SMF :(.

-[Unknown]

Anguz

Maybe if there was a way of merging two SMFs into one, he could update convert his YaBB SE and then do it. Merging two forums has many complications, most of which I may not be aware of even. You'd have a to change most if not all of the IDs of one of the two for topics, boards, members, etc, for example.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

bluevoodu

Quote from: [Unknown] on September 24, 2004, 06:52:08 PM
You can merge your YaBB into a YaBB SE... but not SMF :(.

-[Unknown]
does that mean that you cannot merge YaBBSE into SMF?
or did you mean you cannot merge YaBB into SMF?

"Maybe if there was a way of merging two SMFs into one, he could update convert his YaBB SE and then do it. Merging two forums has many complications, most of which I may not be aware of even. You'd have a to change most if not all of the IDs of one of the two for topics, boards, members, etc, for example."

I hope its not that hard!

If need be, I can try to set up a 3rd MySQL database and convert the YaBBSE into an SMF board.... then would merging 2 SMF boards be easy?

If anything, I REALLY would like to keep the current theme for the YaBBSE board and add it to SMF.....
But I am hoping there is a way... either YabbSE merge with SMF or SMG merge with SMF.

Thanks!
†B†V†
We want you to join:

bluevoodu

sorry to bump this up.... but is there any known help for SMF to SMF conversions?
I can knock the YaBBSE up to a SMF on a 3rd seperate database.... and then I'll have 2 SMF boards to merge.

Does that help  things?

†B†V†
We want you to join:

[Unknown]

I'm afraid there is no way to merge SMF and SMF currently...

-[Unknown]

bluevoodu

what would it take to get a converter (or merger shall we say  :D ) made to do this?

Something that would allow the converter ro read both SMF boards..... and you could specify which one to transfer from, and which to transfer to.

You then could select which forum sections to transfer (in the transfer from) and to which section (in the transfer to) the posts would go.

Hopefully it could be made so that you can stick into certain parts.

Let me explain:
www.egameaddicts.com/forum  (transfer from)
www.egameaddicts.com/forums (transfer to)

As you can see... in the /forums ... there is many child boards under the www.neogeocd.net section (mid way under the SNK category).  I would like to get my posts from the /forum into their respective boards in the /forums.
I would also like the skin to be transferred as well... which that could be a copy and paste solution once in SMF I believe.

†B†V†
We want you to join:

Oldiesmann

It's not that easy to do unfortunately. Even if you're just moving topics, messages and members, it would not be an easy task. You'd have to renumber all the board IDs, category IDs (in this case it would be slighly easier since everything would fall into one category), member IDs, poll IDs and attachment IDs. As far as I can tell, that would require somewhere between 15 and 20 queries, before you moved everything.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Anguz

And besides fixing the IDs for boards and topics, you'll also need to fix all the URLs in messages pointing to them. And, like I said, I'm sure I'm missing a lot of other problems.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

bluevoodu

We want you to join:

Advertisement: