Modification Parse error (installing the recurring Events Mod)

Started by SchaOn, May 13, 2007, 11:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SchaOn

Ugh...

Ok... so, I have a nearly fresh SMF install... though, I just can't seem to get this MOD to work... not sure why??? I've even tried to re-install SMF, and doesn't work.

This is the error I get when trying to install this...
1. Execute Modification - Modification parse error
2. Execute Code add_settings.php 
3. Execute Code repeatEvents_modifyTables.php

Any suggestions? This is on a Windows 2003 Server if that helps...
"'God' brings us into each others lives for a reason and purpose that we may never know until the end. But every interaction that we have - even if just a simple smile, is a catalyst for something bigger, with a positive or negative outcome, so you must be aware of yourself so you can help another when it is needed." ~SchaOn

Chris Curran

SchaOn,

I don't think I've seen that kind of error report before. No other detailed info? Can you run the XML file through test_modification.php for a more detailed report?

cheers,
me

Kindred

C hris,

that is not actually a problem with your mod.

The reported error seems to be cropping up on certain host configurations. (He'll probably have this same error with nearly any mod he tries to install)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chris Curran

Thanks for the heads-up K.......

BTW, Windows or Linux or both?

Chris Curran

Kindred,

When I post a msg, I am returned to the forum index - not the thread. Is that a new "feature" of 2.0 that's being worked out, or should I report this "feature" somewhere?

cheers,
me

anroth

Quote from: SchaOn on May 13, 2007, 11:58:55 PM
This is the error I get when trying to install this...
1. Execute Modification - Modification parse error
2. Execute Code add_settings.php 
3. Execute Code repeatEvents_modifyTables.php

I just tried to install the current version, and I get the same error message. :(

Actually, I was the one who asked Chris about the moon phases for the calendar a few months ago, but since the mod wasn't approved by the SMF team back then I almost forgot about it. Now I just found this thread and was really excited to see it finally online, and it doesn't work...

So, it's a server issue, you say? If it helps, I installed all SMF security fixes without any problems, and the only mod (Gallery Lite) also worked fine. I tried to ignore the error and installed the mod anyway, which resulted in a "modification successfull" message, but I couldn't find the new calendar options in the calendar admin. Any ideas?
Regards,
Andreas

Chris Curran

anroth,

A few points:

1) I had Moon phase support in the calendar long before anyone asked about it...

2) When the package manager reports problems installing a mod, DON'T just continue. I'm not sure what state your system is in now and all bets are off at this point.

3) In the future, run the mod's XML file through "../forum/sdk/test_modification.php" and post any error messages here. For now I'd suggest that you wipe everything off and start over with a clean, fresh SMF install.

cheers,
me

Kindred

Chris,

the return to index/thread is a feature in all versions of SMF. (settable in your profile ? look & Layout > Return to topics after posting by default. )   

It looks like your personal preference may have been reset.

We're not sure what is causing the issue with the running of the "execute" part of the mod...  but what the result is is: none of the install.xml (typically code change) is actually done.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

anroth

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
Quote from: Chris Curran on May 14, 2007, 09:43:57 AM
1) I had Moon phase support in the calendar long before anyone asked about it...

Yes, I know. ;) What I meant was that the feature was not available as a mod back then.

Quote3) In the future, run the mod's XML file through "../forum/sdk/test_modification.php" and post any error messages here. For now I'd suggest that you wipe everything off and start over with a clean, fresh SMF install.

I just tried to install the mod on a test board that I have installed on another server, and it worked fine. The only thing that I have to look into is to translate the new text strings into German. But first I need to get the mod running at our astronomy club board, obviously. ;) I'm installing another test forum at the other server and will run the mod through the SDK, hopefully I'm able to post an error report then.
Regards,
Andreas

Chris Curran

Andreas,

Astonomy Club? Cool. I'm the webmaster for our club (www.stpeteastronomyclub.org) and the needs of our astronomy club is what has driven most of the calendar mods so far... BTW, have you played around with xplanet yet? I have a cron job setup that fires a script to regen images for Jupiter, Saturn, Luna and home once per hour (www.planetcurran.com/observe.php). My next task in this project is to scale it down so that they fit on a cell phone screen (so I can chk on jupiter moon pos in the field at 2am). If you have any toys that you think I should be playing with, please don't be shy... ditto calendar features that are useful to us astro types. :D

cheers,
me

anroth

Quote from: Chris Curran on May 14, 2007, 11:06:56 AM
Andreas,

Astonomy Club? Cool. I'm the webmaster for our club (www.stpeteastronomyclub.org) and the needs of our astronomy club is what has driven most of the calendar mods so far...

I guess you should remember me, I even registered in your forum because either your or my e-mail address was acting up...

QuoteBTW, have you played around with xplanet yet? I have a cron job setup that fires a script to regen images for Jupiter, Saturn, Luna and home once per hour (www.planetcurran.com/observe.php). My next task in this project is to scale it down so that they fit on a cell phone screen (so I can chk on jupiter moon pos in the field at 2am). If you have any toys that you think I should be playing with, please don't be shy... ditto calendar features that are useful to us astro types. :D

Looks neat. :) Unfortunately, I have no programming experience at all, so even the easiest PHP code is all gibberish for me.

Anyway, I tried installing a new SMF 1.1.2 installation on the server where the astronomy board is, but I still get the same error. I also tried to install that Package SDK (which I found here, I hope it's the correct one), but I only got a warning that it contains errors, so I can't even try to run your calendar mod through it. I get the same warning on my other test server, though, so I'm not sure if this is the correct file.

EDIT: Ok, I read through this thread again, and it appears to be the correct SDK. Or shouldn't this be installed via the package manager?
Regards,
Andreas

SchaOn

Kindred...

I have been able to install several MODS without an issue... honestly, it just seems to be Enhanced Calendar, Repeating Events, & MessagePreview on Hover that doesn't seem to work.

These are all the other MODS that I have been able to install successfully:
1. SMF Staff Page 1.5.1
2. BBCode Bar For Signature 1.2
3. Attachments layout 1.1
4. Attachments Download Permission 1.0
5. Enhanced Calendar 1.1     -doesn't work
6. RSS Feed Icon 1.1
7. FontandSizeDropdown1.1 1.1
8. Global Headers Footers 1.3
9. BBC-Google for SMF 1.1.2 (ver. 2.5.2) 2.5.2
10. Image Align Tag 0.3
11. Invite 1.13
12. Link Thumbnail 1.0
13. MessagePreviewOnHover 1.5     -doesn't work
14. Admin Notepad 1.0
15. nwsw.nwswAdminAttachAnything 1.1 RC3
16. Increase/Decrease Postbox Size 1.0
17. Profile User Action 1.1
18. Topic Ratings 1.03
19. Reason For Editing Mod 1.14
20. Repeating Calendar Events v1.2.6 1.2.6     -doesn't work
21. Save PM as HTML 1.0.2
22. SMF Ajax Registration Feedback 1.0.0
23. URL Popup 1.0
24. User Email System 1.1.3
25. User Control Panel By Alan S 1.1
26. Welcome Topic Mod 1.0
27. Wrap Text Around Image 1.0
28. YouTube BBC Tag (XHTML Compliant) 1.2
29. Zodiac_13Moon 2.0

Chris....

Where is test_modification.php??? I don't have it with the version of SMF that I installed??? It doesn't even seem to be in the zipped file??

Thanks Chris for all your help:)
"'God' brings us into each others lives for a reason and purpose that we may never know until the end. But every interaction that we have - even if just a simple smile, is a catalyst for something bigger, with a positive or negative outcome, so you must be aware of yourself so you can help another when it is needed." ~SchaOn

anroth

Quote from: SchaOn on May 14, 2007, 11:47:48 AM
Where is test_modification.php??? I don't have it with the version of SMF that I installed??? It doesn't even seem to be in the zipped file??

It's in the "Package SDK" I mentioned in my posting right above. However, I'm not really sure how to use it, since the installation failed on my server. :(
Regards,
Andreas

SchaOn

Thanks Anroth... I didn't see it... so I'll look again :)

SchaOn

Chris Curran

Andreas,

I use PHP to run my site, but the xplanet stuff is basic scripting. Here is the script that generates those images (run once per hour via cron):

cd /home/ccurran/xplanet/scripts/

#
# get clouds pix
#
/usr/bin/perl download_clouds.pl
chown ccurran.ccurran clouds.jpg

#
# render the objects
#
XPLANET_BIN=/opt/xplanet/bin/xplanet
XPLANET_PATH=/opt/www2/htdocs/planetCurran/xplanet
XCOMMON_OPS="-light_time -num_times 1 -fontsize=14"
XLAT=28
XLONG=-82

#
# earth
#
#echo earth
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/earth.jpg
XOPTIONS="-lat $XLAT -long $XLONG -label -geometry 768x768 -fontsize=14"
$XPLANET_BIN $XCOMMON_OPS -output $XFILE $XOPTIONS

#
# earth clouds
#
#echo earth clouds
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/clouds.jpg
XOPTIONS="-config=overlay_clouds -lat $XLAT -long $XLONG -label -geometry 768x768"

#
# earth clouds 2
#
#echo earth clouds2
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/clouds2.jpg
XOPTIONS="-config=overlay_clouds -lat $XLAT -long $XLONG -label -fov .05"

#
# moon
#
#echo moon
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/moon.jpg
XOPTIONS="-config=moon_loc -body moon -label -origin earth -geometry 768x768"

#
# moon orbit
#
#echo moon orbit
#XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/moonOrbit.jpg
#XOPTIONS="-config=moon_orbit -fov=10"
#$XPLANET_BIN $XCOMMON_OPS -output $XFILE $XOPTIONS

#
# jupiter
#
#echo jupiter
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/jupiter.jpg
XOPTIONS="-origin earth -target jupiter -config=jupiter_moons -fov .15 -geometry 768x128"

#
# jupiter 2
#
#echo jupiter2
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/jupiter2.jpg
XOPTIONS="-origin earth -target jupiter2 -label -fov .01 -geometry 768x768"

#
# saturn
#
#echo saturn
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/saturn.jpg
XOPTIONS="-body saturn -origin earth -config=saturn_moons -lat $XLAT -geometry 1024x256 -fov 1.1"

#
# saturn
#
#echo saturn2
XFILE=$XPLANET_PATH/saturn2.jpg
XOPTIONS="-body saturn -origin earth -config=saturn_moons -lat $XLAT -geometry 1024x600 -fov 3"

#echo done

Chris Curran

Package SDK....

Don't you folks have a subdir under 'forum' named 'sdk'? When I installed 1.1.1, the sdk was included in the distro. If that doesn't help....

The sdk that you folks are saying is "failing" (the one Andreas referred to above)... Are you trying to "install" the sdk through the package manager by any chance? If so, don't. Just unzip it. Nothing fancy.

cheers,
me

anroth

Hmm, just tried that and got - nothing. :(

But I was thinking... Since the mod was applied on the other server without any problems, should I try to copy over the files that were modified? Apparently, the installation on my "bad" server succeeded (at least that was the message I got), just the templates didn't get updated as desired. Since I don't have loads of custom mods installed, it might work this way...

I will check if the moon phase data was written to the database, or if I can import it manually - then I can also adapt this mod to the German templates, which isn't done by default anyway.

EDIT: I just tried the SDK on the "good" server, but I don't get any test results there as well. So I only can assume that the SDK doesn't work with SMF 1.1.2 or something like this.

EDIT2: And it looks like the moonphase dates have been written to the database indeed. The first good news today. ;)
Regards,
Andreas

SchaOn

Nope... no SDK dir :( That was one of the first things I looked for...

First, I tried to just unzip and uploaded it to the server... but I got the same "error" as Anroth... then I tried to install it as a package... that didn't work either... obviously... LOL

I don't know how my server is different than the others... I'm sure other people have installed this on a Windows 2003 Server??? Would there be anything else funky???

anroth

Well, I have a Linux/Apache server here, so it's not only related to Windows 2003 Server, as it seems.
Regards,
Andreas

Advertisement: