Themes and ripping

Started by bloc, May 14, 2007, 06:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolidSnake2003

Would it be alright if I changed the color of the tabs on the default theme, and on some of the other graphics?

Dannii

Of course. Some people have already made other colour schemes for it though, so you may not need to.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

JoeX51

So I just want to get this straight.....
If I want to take pieces and parts of 3 or 4 different themes,let's say (colors from one, icons from another and so on), that have been submitted to the theme site. Then create a theme for my own site/s, that is OK.  :)

On the other hand if I was  to submit it as my own work with out permission to use any of those parts from the actual creator/ copyright holder that would be bad. :(

So as long as people have common courtesy and don't take someone else's hard work and claim it as their own, there would be no issue.

I was alittle confused as this topic started to sound as if it was an issue to use other peoples work, that was submitted to the theme site, which did not make sense, since these people submitted them for other people to use.

Gary

Quote from: JoeX51 on February 23, 2008, 10:34:29 PM
I was alittle confused as this topic started to sound as if it was an issue to use other peoples work, that was submitted to the theme site, which did not make sense, since these people submitted them for other people to use.

They may have been submitted for use, but once a work has been published, they become copyrighted and since we have to honour copyright laws, we can not allow it.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Tela

Hi. I have a question, and I couldn't find the answer elsewhere. If a theme does not provide a license, but just general copyright information, it's covered by the GNU, correct?

The reason I'm asking, is because I'm working on a theme for a game called "Legend of The Green Dragon". The guys over at hxxp:dragonprime.net/ [nonactive] are running the show these days. However, any theme used for LOGD will fall under hxxp:creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/ [nonactive]

Anyway, long story short, I'm basing my skin on the Red Darkness theme created by hxxp:www.smfturk.net/ [nonactive] All I've done is essentially use the exact background image. I plan on creating buttons similar to theirs, but I'll have to make them from scratch as the images are flattened and not layered.

A small screenshot of the forum skin I'm talking about:

A small screenshot of the game in development:

Either way, I plan on placing a copyright at the bottom: Red Darkness template by Tela based on Red Darkness Theme by hxxp:www.smfturk.net/ [nonactive]

If the theme is GNU, that should be enough. Otherwise, I may need some help? Or a translator?

Dannii

QuoteHi. I have a question, and I couldn't find the answer elsewhere. If a theme does not provide a license, but just general copyright information, it's covered by the GNU, correct?
Aboslutely not (assuming you're talking about the GNU GPL).
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

青山 素子

Quote from: Tela on February 27, 2008, 03:37:46 AM
Hi. I have a question, and I couldn't find the answer elsewhere. If a theme does not provide a license, but just general copyright information, it's covered by the GNU, correct?

If no license is provided for the theme, you should assume you have no rights to use it (other than fair use). There is no default license that takes effect on copyrighted works.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Antechinus

Ok I'm a tad confused here. I posted over in the thread about the Default Multicolour theme but since that's usually inactive it may be missed.
The story is that I've put together a multicolour version of Bikken's Outline. He's already given me his permission to post the zip of a pink version I made at several places. I'll ask about the multicolour one before I post that anywhere, of course.
I used the method described in this thread but it's rather clumsy, in that it results in a stack of redundant copies of images for post icons, BBC, etc.
I want to use the arrangement that was used in the Default Multicolour, which will save somewhere around 1 meg of useless images. 
So the question is: is the way that theme calls the image files and stylesheets just another way of arranging public domain code, or is it someone's intellectual property?
I know that Dilber MC uses a very similar method, although I haven't compare the two in WinMerge yet.
So since I want to write something similar do I need permission for this?

Deaks

Alot of the ways that are shown in threads are tricks and can be found on google searches, some are adapaptations of others, aslong as you say it is an adaptation of XYZ then you should be fine :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Antechinus

Cool. Thanks for that. I thought that was probably the case but I figured I should ask before I started work on the thing.

day-there

Aren't SMF themes released always under GPL ? Isn't this a guideline ?
Autograph...

Gary

No. It's not. SMF Themes are released under your own licenses. So the license it's released under is up to the author.

If a license is not stated then you should realistically assume that it's under the SMF License.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Dannii

GPL isn't really applicable, as the majority of a theme isn't code. A creative commons licence is probably more appriopriate.

Gary, I'd have to disagree (as themes are a violation of the SMF Licence if you release them anywhere other than the theme site). If nothing is stated assume the theme is released under full copyright.

青山 素子

Quote from: Dannii on May 02, 2008, 09:49:57 AM
If nothing is stated assume the theme is released under full copyright.

That is usually the safe thing to do. I believe that in the US (and I could be wrong) unless it is specified otherwise, no rights are granted on any work (beyond the usual fair use and other standard exemptions).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Dannii

And fair use is pretty hard to justify legally.

Antechinus

Quote from: Dannii on May 02, 2008, 09:49:57 AMGary, I'd have to disagree (as themes are a violation of the SMF Licence if you release them anywhere other than the theme site). If nothing is stated assume the theme is released under full copyright.

I spotted this and was wondering what the story was. I've just about finished a multicolour version of Outline which I was going to post over at Bikken's place and at Tiny Portal, and since I only use 1.1.5/TP I wasn't planning on bothering with an SMF-only version.

Does the SMF license actually require me to make an SMF-only version as well and I am required to release it here before posting it anywhere else, or since it's basically a variation of any existing theme that has been made with the original author's consent can I just go ahead?

Rumbaar

No don't have to make a non TP mod enabled theme and release it here.  As long as you have permission from the original author or the custom theme, that is enough.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Dannii

QuoteI spotted this and was wondering what the story was. I've just about finished a multicolour version of Outline which I was going to post over at Bikken's place and at Tiny Portal, and since I only use 1.1.5/TP I wasn't planning on bothering with an SMF-only version.

Does the SMF license actually require me to make an SMF-only version as well and I am required to release it here before posting it anywhere else, or since it's basically a variation of any existing theme that has been made with the original author's consent can I just go ahead?
The problem is that the licence only allows redistribution of SMF code as a modification. So if your theme has any SMF code in it at all, you are not allowed to legally distribute it anywhere other than here at sm.org. But they don't enforce the licence in that way...

Antechinus

Ok, so technically lots of people are breaking the license agreement, but as long as everyone's sensible about it SMF doesn't mind. I mean if you aren't allowed to distribute SMF code apart from on this site then that means the entire themes section over at Tiny Portal is, in a legalistic sense, a breach of the licensing agreement as are the other sites where people post their own themes.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to reword the license agreement so that everyone is kosher. All it'd take is a short paragraph telling people to ask permission from SMF before posting their themes elsewhere. Admittedly this would increase the workload on the SMF staff, so I can understand if they'd rather avoid that.

Advertisement: