Multidomain SMF forum

Started by Pedja, May 15, 2007, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INamelessI

- park new domain on top of the primary forum domain. Make sure, that, when you open new domain in browser you

get working forum. note that all links on forum stil point to priamry domain.

im stuck here. i have a forum called. --- hxxp:www.boing.com [nonactive] (not real)

subforum- hxxp:www.b.boing.com [nonactive]
subforum- hxxp:www.c.boing.com [nonactive]
subforum- hxxp:www.d.boing.com [nonactive]

all subdomains have forums.

the rest of the line would be the already set (primary) domain

comment that line (put // as the very first in the line) and add new line below:

do i comment the whole boardurl thing? like //boardurl

ConquerorOfMankind

Can anyone make this work for SMF 2.0?

~Killer~

This is a great mod, or addon, whatever, and I really want to use it! Any chance that this will be updated to 2.0.X later?

dno

I managed to finally get this working on my oldest site and my newest site. I could not get the themes to work out for me so I took a different approach.

I added a new variable after $db_prefix in the settings.php file. I used $theme_prefix. Then I went through all the files in the sources folder and did a global search and replace changing {$db_prefix}themes to {$themes_prefix}themes. Then I did a search on every page that had a result and every function that had {$themes_prefix} I added $themes_prefix to the global delcaration. Then I copied the themes table with a different prefix for the other site.

With that done all I need to now when adding sites to the mix is define what prefix the table has for a specific sites themes. What is important is that the themes in each of the theme tables have the same name and ID, we don't allow changing of themes and just specify that everyone should be using the "main" theme.

It seems to work fairly well. We have our trukx.com/forum [nofollow] site added with it's own theme and main category of forums on top and our oldest site popupexplorer.com/forum [nofollow] displaying a different main category of forums, all other categories are shared. In this way we hope to give each site a niche flavor.
My Forums:
PopUp Explorer [nofollow]
Hybrid Explorer [nofollow]
RV Itch [nofollow]

Darkness_

did someone got this one working for SMF 2.0 beta 4 ?

dno

My guess is no, but I would hope that someone does and also makes it so it can install via the regular modification process. If I had one complaint about this mod it's that it does not install via the mod process which makes it difficult to get other mods working. It does what I need it to do which was to give two different groups of people that frequent my sites what they wanted.

As I've read I keep seeing many comments about why you would want to do this, just tell everyone to go to one forum.

For me I felt that would end up being the death of my site. The success of my site was built on a niche and there are at least two other sites that occasionally nip at my heels. I had one group of people that wanted the site to remain true to the niche but another group that was increasingly growing in numbers wanted to remain part of the community even though they changed their type of RV away from the niche focus. Opening the site up to all RV types would erode my lead in the niche which at this point is our bread and butter. I had created other brands and other forums to focus on other RV types but none really gained nearly the traffic the original site did.

By combining all the forums and selecting what content appears on which forum I can still focus on the niche while creating a place for the others to participate and remain part of the community through some of the general forums. It's only been about a week since we switched over a couple sites to the new combined forum, but so far it seems well recieved.

It's been interesting to see how each group percieves the change. It appears each group feels they got what they wanted.
My Forums:
PopUp Explorer [nofollow]
Hybrid Explorer [nofollow]
RV Itch [nofollow]

Dejv

Hi,

Does it work for 1.1.18?
Any updates on 2.0?

Would it be possible to save the mulltidomains in smf_members table?

Possible to show two categories for some forums?

Thanks
SMF 1.1.20

Douglas

Need to bump this back up.  Really need to know if this has been or can be updated to work with the latest 2.x branch.  :)

Don't really need separate theme/forum support... just the multi-domain support.  :)

Thanks!
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Clara Listensprechen

I'd like to know, too--it's why I've subscribed to this thread. Answers--we need answers!!
I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those who are now possible remain possible. {Michael Bakunin 1814-1876}

RvG

thank you for bumping... :)
Need help to make it work with SMF 2.0

hhy89

Seo4Smf 2.0 - Full Top10 Stats(full top10) - Aligned and Bilateral Child Boards(2li 3lü alt bölümler)
http://www.smfmod.com
http://destek.smfmod.com

zapiy

This was upgraded but i need some help if anyone can please?
www.maturevideogamer.co.uk
www.consoleplanet.co.uk
www.retrovideogamer.co.uk

Galaxy Computers

Will this mod:

1) Have separate forums for each subdomains?
2) Each Categories different on each forums?

But here is one problem. lets say this subdomain.domain.com redirects to the main domain. That doesn't called mirror its called redirects to the main domain.
Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Morris Technologies Computer Support Forum

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I am not so sure but you can try this mod alternatives:
1. PMx-SubForums Mod - Support
2. Split Forum Mod - Support

I would prefer the first one, as the second is still in heavy development.

Advertisement: