News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Should I recommend a conversion?

Started by Catalyst, May 15, 2007, 05:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalyst

A site I'm on uses VB 3.6.5.  They've had numerous problems and can't get customer support because they used mods.  The only advice they give is to get rid of the mods.  On the same note, because the site is heavily modded, I'm a little hesitant about recommending conversion.  Unfortunately, many of the mods are rather integral to the functioning of the site.  Should I recommend conversion, or would it destroy the mods?  Would there be a way to test it ahead of time?

KGIII

Do the mods that they use have either mods here that do the same things or are those modifications perhaps covered in the tips and tricks section? I don't think I am unbiased so, really, I am going to recommend that they convert though they should be aware that the conversion can take a bit of time and a bit of effort but if done properly shouldn't be very long a process.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Catalyst

Some of the mods are a little easier and I think could easily be replaced.  I'll skim through the tips and tricks and see what I can find there.  I do think that it'd be much better for them if they switched over to SMF.  If nothing else, the community is better than any tech support they'd get with VB.

KGIII

Most everything that can be done with one forum can be done with any other it seems. With some it is just easier. SMF's modification system/package manager makes all of that a great deal easier than it is with most others. That and, well, our support and code skills surpass all those others anyhow. ;)

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Catalyst

Thanks!  I'll make the recommendation.  SMF is really the easiest forum software I ever worked with.  I tried installing LiveJournal once, and just looking at the code it all seemed more complex than it needed to be.  It was much easier to just install another one of these forums and it actually worked out for the better that way anyway.

babjusi

Quote from: KGIII on May 15, 2007, 10:47:12 PM
Most everything that can be done with one forum can be done with any other it seems. With some it is just easier. SMF's modification system/package manager makes all of that a great deal easier than it is with most others. That and, well, our support and code skills surpass all those others anyhow. ;)

Sorry to butt in KGIII but I just wanted to say that I totally agree with you 100% about the package manager and the support here, it''s the best, you guys are wonderful.

P.s. If you switch over to smf Catalyst, you won''t regret it, that''s for sure.

Advertisement: