News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

device identification in wap posts

Started by luiscamino, September 27, 2004, 12:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luiscamino

my forum is about mobile phones and people is freaking about the wap features, it's just GREAT. however there's something in other forums with wap versions that smf doesn't have, and it's the ability to add a "this message was posted from a [device]" label to the wap posts. not just mentioning "a mobile phone" or "a pda", but even the brand and model of the device, for example "a sony ericsson t610" (i guess this is customizable, no one's going to do a list of ALL wap enabled gadgets).

you can see a couple of examples here (phpBB):
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=70178
http://www.perumoviles.org/foro/viewtopic.php?t=96&sid=10da2d31a57fa2f017cc7669260094ad

you might say "weird useless feature" but it's so COOL in mobile phone forums like mine...
luis gonzález-camino calleja
www.luiscamino.com
www.avantglance.com
www.clubsonyericsson.com

[Unknown]

Well, I believe a wirless icon is used when posted from a wireless device... I guess it could add what type.... how is this detected?

-[Unknown]

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

balamm

No longer impressed with SMF developers or management.
POST DELETED!

pulpitfire

how do you set wap so people can reply to posts and all?  currently, when i access with wap on my site, it shows only the category and boards.  you can read but not reply, search, or anything else.

dschwab9

Quote from: balamm on September 27, 2004, 09:50:07 AM
Not that it has anything to do with the original topic, but, be very carefull getting into mobile services, mobile access, wap, all that, unless you really know how to harden you server and isolate protocols and directories.

How is accessing it with a mobile device any less secure than a standard web browser?

Gobalopper

Quote from: pege on November 18, 2004, 11:09:33 AMhow do you set wap so people can reply to posts and all?  currently, when i access with wap on my site, it shows only the category and boards.  you can read but not reply, search, or anything else.

I think that depends on what version of wap you have... because I'm pretty sure Compuart used to post using his phone/handheld.

Oldiesmann

There are three different wireless modes, and not all of them will work on every device:

wap
wap2
imode

Wap2 and I-Mode should work on most newer phones and wireless devices.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

luiscamino

actually, most newer phones that support wap2.0 only work with the imode smf mode (i work in the mobile phone industry, i have tested); which suggests that the way this modes have been built don't respect every protocol's standard.
luis gonzález-camino calleja
www.luiscamino.com
www.avantglance.com
www.clubsonyericsson.com

Oldiesmann

The reason I said that is because i-mode and wap2 both work on my phone (Nokia 3100).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

[Unknown]

Quote from: luiscamino on November 19, 2004, 11:48:10 AM
actually, most newer phones that support wap2.0 only work with the imode smf mode (i work in the mobile phone industry, i have tested); which suggests that the way this modes have been built don't respect every protocol's standard.

I'm pretty sure they all conform to the standards, but I suspect the phones sometimes do not :P.  I can't say, though, except that I did read over the specs and check what was added.... seemed fine.

Compuart did the wap2 and imode stuff entirely.  If you'd like to help us out with testing, that would be wonderful - but, otherwise, it's difficult without spending money on all the various phones to make sure it works EVERYWHERE :P.

In fact, I'm not totally clear on the difference between imode and wap2.

As to this topic, I think a more general "log USER_AGENT on post" would fit the bill, and not be difficult to write (although, it might be a bit cryptic, you could recognize the phone by the agent.)

-[Unknown]

pulpitfire

alright, wap2 and imode lets me log in and post...cool.

thanks

tsmalmbe

What would it require to have the tiny "phone" icon next to the members name in the "members-logged-in" namelist in the control panel? What could/should I be iffing?

Shajt. Just saw that the icon is in the wireles.template. So I guess there's no info that you're browsing the site with a wireless device?
..:: http://www.kontrollrummet.com - Studio och musik ::.. RSS?

Advertisement: