News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Your SMF SEO tips

Started by bjraines, May 21, 2007, 11:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjraines

I was hoping some of the gurus would share their SMF tips. I know this takes on many many forms. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

Dannii

Backlinks
Clean HTML
Nice URLs if you have time after making SMF's HTML clean (which I doubt).
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

bjraines

What do you mean by clean HTML? Do you not consider the Core theme to be clean?

Also I have been unable to get any of the nice URLs to work so far.

Dannii

It's very unclean. Lots of disgusting tables and inline CSS and JS. And no headers!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

bjraines

where there is nothing wrong with tables or inline CSS as long as it validates. There is no optimal CSS for forums. Some people argue that the definiton tags could be used but semantically they are just as bad as tables. 

Using divisions would make it massive and use embedded divisions that are frowned upon also. So either way it is bad. Just the nature of forums I believe.

I am not a fan of js though.

Dannii

Tables used for design are very bad. They waste lots of code, and confuse search engines. Using too many divs can be bad, but its much less likely. Search engines don't care if something validates. They care if they can't understand the page.

Ben_S

Quote from: eldʌkaː on May 21, 2007, 11:49:35 AM
It's very unclean. Lots of disgusting tables and inline CSS and JS. And no headers!

Out of interest, why are you so bitter?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Dannii

I'm not bitter. It's just ugly legacy code.

Advertisement: