News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF and IPB databases not on the same server

Started by ABDog, May 22, 2007, 08:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABDog

Just installed a fresh SMF forum on some webspace and need to convert my IPB forum onto it.

Problem is, not only are they not on the same MySQL server, they are hosted with 2 separate companies...

Can I convert using a db backup of the IPB forum?
Is there another solution?

JayBachatero

What you can do is install SMF in the same server as IPB and convert.  Then take a database backup from SMF's admin panel and import it to the new site.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

synaptyx

Hello, I have the same problem. The thing is, I only pay for the hosting of the IPB forum and there is no space to upload SMF, and no ability to install it because there is only one database. I can take a db backup. Any suggestions?

synaptyx

JayBachatero

There is no way to do this on two different servers.  What I suggest is that you setup a test server on your PC and then download IPB and a database dump.  Install SMF and convert.  Then get the SMF backup and import it.
Follow me on Twitter

synaptyx

Hi, thanks Jay, but I have no idea how to set up a server.

Is there any way to import even just the users from a dump?

JayBachatero

You can use something like XAMPP as a test webserver.  Then you need to fix the paths for IPB once you download the files to your pc.
Follow me on Twitter

synaptyx

Okay, I've downloaded XAMPP. Wow, now there's a clever thing! :D Can I add just the database, or do I need the IPB files as well? I can get the files, but they're designed to work only on the Invision servers. Does the converter need these files, or just a connection to the database?
I don't want to have to pay Invision $210 bucks for a license and a transfer.  :(

JayBachatero

Are you in an Invision Free server?  The converter just needs the config file from IPB with the correct settings to convert.
Follow me on Twitter

synaptyx

No, it's paid for hosting. What is the config file called? I did have a look in the files that I downloaded, but couldn't find anything relating to settings.

JayBachatero

I think its config_global.php I believe.  Just check in the .sql file and it sgould tell you there.
Follow me on Twitter

synaptyx

Thanks Jay, I'll be back with more n00bery later! :)

synaptyx

Just to let you know, I've successfully transferred converted my paid for IPB to SMF after a bit of fiddling arround with the converter.

Thanks Jay, for your guidance.

You just saved me $120 per year!

Advertisement: