News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unable to load the 'main' template.

Started by Sageth, May 29, 2007, 11:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sageth

Today, I found out that I (admin) am the only person who can send PMs on my site.  Everyone else gets the page where they can type the PM, but when they click 'send' the page just reloads.

So I went into the forum maintenance and ran "Find and Fix errors" and got this message:

The following errors are fouling up your forum:
???

Would you like to fix these errors?
Yes - No

If I say yes, the page reloads with the same message.  All other forum functions work fine.  I can't figure out what's wrong.... any ideas?

No mods, but bridged to Joomla (doesn't seem to make a difference if I unbridge it), using 1.1.2.

Edit: In troubleshooting, I've dropped the two PM tables and rebuilt them.  This seems to resolve the errors, but I still can't send messages as a non-admin.  The rights are there to do it.

The only other thing I noticed is that if I try to change any of the settings under "Features and Options" I get the error "Unable to load the 'main' template."  I searched the forums on this one and I reuploaded my theme (InternetGazette from RocketTheme), changed back to default, and reuploaded my themes/default and /sources/ folders.  Nothing has worked.

Error log shows nothing of particular use that I haven't already stated.  Any ideas on the 'main' error?

greyknight17

Is everyone else is still new to the forum and did you set the PM post count rule to any number? The default option is to have the user enter the image verification if they have less than 5 posts when using the PM system. Try setting your theme back to the default and ask your users if they can send PMs now (should also see the image verification).

Sageth

Appreciate the response.  I've set it back to default and it still doesn't work.  I tried changing the count to 0 (it's currently at 5), but I'm not sure which line it is in the DB.  I have a feeling I'm just missing it...

I thought it was "spamWaitTime" but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  Can you tell me where in the database this setting is?  I can't change it from the front-end, but I definitely don't see the images, so that sounds like the problem.

Sageth

Ok, so it took me a bit, but I found the setting and was able to change it.  The good news is that people are able to send PM's again.

The bad part is that I'm still getting the error "Unable to load the 'main' template."

The searches that I saw all said to reload your template files or the files in /sources/ - neither of which resolved the issue.  Any ideas?

greyknight17

What setting did you change to fix the PM issue?

Since this is forum doesn't have any mods, try reinstalling it. Delete all the forum files and upload the new install files. Use the same database name during setup so it will continue where the forum was left off (all posts and members will remain :)).

Sageth

Sounds like a plan. 

Obviously, I'm going to back my db and files up, but my SMF is bridged with Joomla... this shouldn't be a problem, right?  I'm just going through the setup again with new files?

Also, I had mods installed in the past, but over time just removed them as they became obsolete.  In my smf_settings table, I still see some remnants of them, though they do not show in the admin.

Also, to answer your original question, I changed:
pm_spam_settings            10,5,20
                  to
pm_spam_settings            10,0,20

This removes the 5-post count that I required to prevent spamming.

Again, I appreciate your help.  I'll look at doing this tomorrow, as it's getting late here. 

Sageth

OK, that seemed to work.  Thanks for the help.

Sageth

It worked yesterday and had no problems.  I loaded one mod (Gender on Registration) and it still worked.  I added a theme back.  Still fine.  Added some adsense code.  Then I went out.  I checked it this morning and I got the error again.  This time, I enabled error logging and I see the following errors:

Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Use of undefined constant scripturl - assumed 'scripturl'
File: /home/user/public_html/forum/Themes/default/Themes.template.php (eval?)
Line: 248

8: Use of undefined constant scripturl - assumed 'scripturl'
File: /home/sagethco/public_html/forum/Themes/default/languages/ModSettings.english.php (eval?)
Line: 248

Unable to load the 'main' template.

I checked both of those files and it's not undefined, and I don't see anything that looks obviously wrong.  Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind.  It does appear to be the bridge now.  I went through the forum link and went to Admin and it worked fine.  Going through my bridge, it doesn't work.

Advertisement: